Pete Buttigieg 2020 campaign megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 01:14:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Pete Buttigieg 2020 campaign megathread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Pete Buttigieg 2020 campaign megathread  (Read 136996 times)
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« on: November 01, 2019, 03:06:24 PM »

Gabriel Greene, a long-distance truck driver whose son was a football prospect, said he had not heard of Mr. Buttigieg.

As a reporter ticked off some details about him — 37 years old, a mayor, a veteran of the war in Afghanistan, married to a man — Mr. Greene interrupted.

“You say he’s married to a man?” he said. “He lost my vote. I believe in Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve.’’

Roll Eyes

These people wouldn't vote for a Democrat anyway, and we shouldn't be trying to win their votes.

Someday we should compile a list of all the categories of Americans who Atlas thinks "wouldn't vote for a Democrat anyway." Factoring in the "transphobes," people who don't like the "Squad," Midwestern Christians, truck drivers, Obama-Trump voters, various socially conservative minorities, "Islamophobes," suburban whites who don't want their taxes to go up, and small business owners, it's a wonder that you guys have any hope to win this election at all.

This part is particularly relevant to note. As was mentioned, this man, Mr. Greene, is a black Democrat. Many black voters continue to remain opposed to gay marriage (including my own father and one of my uncles). I remember seeing a poll (I can't remember if it was Pew or Gallup), which showed that 51% of blacks supported gay marriage, the lowest figure of support among any racial group (by contrast, approximately 60% of whites support gay marriage, as do 58% of Asians and Hispanics). It has to be kept in mind that blacks are probably the most deeply religious group in this country, and have a long and powerful tradition of faith, particularly in Southern states such as South Carolina. This tradition goes back to slavery.

As I've said before, many socially conservative blacks would be voting Republican were it not for issues such as criminal justice, poverty, voter discrimination, and the like, and were it not for the racism and bigotry which they see evident within the Republican Party.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2019, 05:50:06 PM »

I mean, he’s polling poorly with African-Americans in no small part due to that community’s homophobia, so that part isn’t really his fault.  Oh and also because he fired a crooked police chief who happened to be black, but again not his fault the guy decided to commit a felony.

Not just this. Buttigieg's whole record over poverty and police brutality issues is looked upon unfavorably by many blacks. Conversely, a strong plurality are still behind Biden because he was Obama's Vice-President, and is hence, trusted.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2019, 05:23:58 PM »

I mean, he’s polling poorly with African-Americans in no small part due to that community’s homophobia, so that part isn’t really his fault.  Oh and also because he fired a crooked police chief who happened to be black, but again not his fault the guy decided to commit a felony.

Funny how literally everyone I've seen make this take is white.

Is it really a "take" when you can just look at the polling? African-American support for gay marriage is routinely 10% lower than white support for it.

I think ur missing the point about it only being white people, typically privileged white people making statements like that.

I have seen enough evidence that I don’t think I’m making an even remotely unreasonable assumption by stating that one of them the major reasons Buttigieg does so poorly with African-American voters is that he’s gay.  That evidence has come in the form of focus group results (https://www.thestate.com/news/politics-government/article236516903.html), admissions from African-American politicians (https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2019/11/03/sotu-clyburn-buttigieg.cnn), and anecdotal evidence from conversations I’ve had with African-Americans I know personally who have talked about the homophobic comments their friends and family members have made over the years. 

Though I think (as I've noted before), that Buttigieg's record on race/poverty issues in South Bend is part of the reason why he is struggling with the black vote, you are correct when you say that homophobia does play a major role as well. As a black person, I can attest to the anti-gay sentiments that exist within the community. My father and stepmother are very much opposed to gay marriage. They believe that it is unnatural, and make derisive remarks about gay people all the time. My stepmother in particular (who is from Jamaica), is virulently homophobic, and considers their behavior to be "nasty". My uncle too, is also not a fan of gay marriage-though his daughters, who are much more liberal than he is, are of course not offended by it.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2019, 01:10:39 AM »

I think this is all BS. Mayor Pete’s lack of current appeal to minority communities probably has next to nothing to do with any of his actual political positions or statements he has made. These criticisms mostly comes from a few internet leftists, very few of whom are actually minorities themselves.

Not true. There was that Root columnist who was mentioned on this thread earlier. There is that South Bend councilman who endorsed Biden over Buttigieg, and criticized the latter for his lack of outreach to the community. There are the black leaders in South Carolina who were angered by Buttigieg's approporiation of their endorsements for his campaign. To say nothing of many of his own black constituents in South Bend, many of whom criticized him to his face regarding the police shooting there a few months ago. I remember seeing a CBS News report which discussed Buttigieg's problems with black voters, and they interviewed a black lady who came to one of his town halls. She said she supported Buttigieg as Mayor, but when they asked her whether or not she would support him in the primary, she effectively said "Hell no!" and was adamant about it.

I could probably find other examples, but this should be enough to dispel your argument.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2019, 01:35:06 AM »

I think this is all BS. Mayor Pete’s lack of current appeal to minority communities probably has next to nothing to do with any of his actual political positions or statements he has made. These criticisms mostly comes from a few internet leftists, very few of whom are actually minorities themselves.

Not true. There was that Root columnist who was mentioned on this thread earlier. There is that South Bend councilman who endorsed Biden over Buttigieg, and criticized the latter for his lack of outreach to the community. There are the black leaders in South Carolina who were angered by Buttigieg's approporiation of their endorsements for his campaign. To say nothing of many of his own black constituents in South Bend, many of whom criticized him to his face regarding the police shooting there a few months ago. I remember seeing a CBS News report which discussed Buttigieg's problems with black voters, and they interviewed a black lady who came to one of his town halls. She said she supported Buttigieg as Mayor, but when they asked her whether or not she would support him in the primary, she effectively said "Hell no!" and was adamant about it.

I could probably find other examples, but this should be enough to dispel your argument.

Those are just a few random whiny people, complaining about meaningless whiny issues.

There are many Blacks on the other hand posing with Pete on his social media pictures during numerous events and they are happy about him and his campaign.

People like this councilwoman have a problem with his success and maybe with his gayness, that’s why they are after him ...

Well, if it were just a few "whiny people", then why has he continued to struggle in the polls among black voters? Moreover, the vast majority of Buttigieg's support is among upper and middle class white voters, and he has designed a platform which caters to their needs, and less so to those of minorities.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2020, 01:03:51 AM »

How stupid are the people of Iowa? (posting in Buttigieg thread only because she is a "Buttigieg supporter" and this isn't worth making a new thread for):

Even in this age of increased polarization, many American voters do not fit into a "single box", like many on this forum believe.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2020, 07:53:51 PM »

Supporting Bernie and then voting for Trump but supporting Medicare For All but also supporting Pete and vowing to vote for Trump again if Pete doesn't win the nomination is not indicative of "not fitting into a box"; it's indicative of not knowing what you believe relative to what the candidates you're voting for believe. And I don't blame this lady for that, she probably works a full time job and doesn't have the time to thoroughly research the candidates or their positions. This is something that plagues our democracy: our people are not incentivized to know what they're voting for. They get everything they know from whatever news outlet they have time to watch and make a decision therein.

This is a legitimate concern, but isn't it also possible that we have voters who are genuinely persuadable, and aren't locked in by ideology or partisanship into merely supporting one side? I'd rather we have an electorate filled with voters who are willing to consider alternatives, then one filled with voters who refuse to compromise and cannot be swayed.
Warning: This post is currently hidden because it contains potentially inappropriate or sensitive content.
Click to show post
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies