Pete Buttigieg 2020 campaign megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 01:48:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Pete Buttigieg 2020 campaign megathread (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Pete Buttigieg 2020 campaign megathread  (Read 137000 times)
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« on: January 24, 2019, 11:12:58 AM »

Elite candidate. Buttigieg-Lamb: Make America Beautiful Again.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2019, 10:40:33 AM »

I like that he's bringing up God and Scripture, and I like his family values.  He and his husband present an image of a red state American gay couple that is very appealing.  I also think its important that he has military experience since very few of the other candidates have it.

Isn't it about time we left religion out of consideration for which candidate to vote and look at the policies they propose because that's what truly matters? Anyway, he's not playing identity politics at all, so his sexuality shouldn't hurt him that much. His apparent moderation and generic platform probably will though.

Religion was my #1 consideration in supporting a candidate. Policies are completely meaningless, especially for the office of President. The Senate will still be Republican so it won't matter. We need a president who has the best values and brings people to God.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2019, 12:36:31 PM »

I like that he's bringing up God and Scripture, and I like his family values.  He and his husband present an image of a red state American gay couple that is very appealing.  I also think its important that he has military experience since very few of the other candidates have it.

Isn't it about time we left religion out of consideration for which candidate to vote and look at the policies they propose because that's what truly matters? Anyway, he's not playing identity politics at all, so his sexuality shouldn't hurt him that much. His apparent moderation and generic platform probably will though.

Religion was my #1 consideration in supporting a candidate. Policies are completely meaningless, especially for the office of President. The Senate will still be Republican so it won't matter. We need a president who has the best values and brings people to God.

By that, do you mean you judge people by their piety, or which religion they ascribe to, regardless of how devout they are? For example, who would you vote for between a Christmas-and-Easter Christian and an extremely devout neopagan or an OT VIII Scientologist?

Both. I have a hierarchy of religions in mind headed by Judaism, Catholicism and Anglicanism while avoiding most Baptists and witches, Lindsey Graham excluded. Donald Trump married a Catholic in an Episcopal church and baptized and raised his most beloved son in Episcopal churches, so he gets some bonus points for promoting the good. But someone even more devout to a truer faith would be the greatest ideal.

Your scenario is intriguing and I would likely be extremely resistant to making that choice at the presidential level. Notice how far down the fake Christians are on my rankings. Not a fan! They better be making an over-the-top exaggerated push for me. But also if the neopagan is an annoying millennial or something, that statement in the voting booth would probably be worse.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2019, 02:36:56 PM »
« Edited: April 12, 2019, 02:41:11 PM by Sprouts Farmers Market ✘ »

I like that he's bringing up God and Scripture, and I like his family values.  He and his husband present an image of a red state American gay couple that is very appealing.  I also think its important that he has military experience since very few of the other candidates have it.

But of course, policy doesn't matter when choosing someone to rule over the most powerful country on Earth, only bringing people to God! Oh and Trump must be one of those moral Christians, given his logo beneath your avatar. This anti-intellectualism is probably why the US is being ruled by an unemphatic, racist, incompetent bozo.

Believe me, I am the most anti-anti-intellectual person there is. Where a person went to school matters just as much as their religion. That's why a Quaker and a Crimson are so neck-and-neck.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2019, 04:17:18 PM »

I feel like this candidate is all media hype. I don't get it at all.

This is not the Kamala Harris thread.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2019, 03:13:49 PM »

Buttigieg's rhetoric is fresh and authentic. He's perfectly in line with his party, and yet he does not sound like another Democrat. I think that explains much of his appeal.

...especially because it contrasts with the rest of the field. That's not to say that the other candidates don't have distinct voices, but ultimately they sound like echoes of Obama and Clinton, with just a pinch of Sanders thrown in for zest.

Even Beto, one of the most colorful speakers, usually comes across as someone doing an outlandishly verbose stream-of-consciousness Obama impersonation. Obama through a funhouse mirror, maybe, but still Obama. If Buttigieg breaks through, he would be defining a new lexicon for the party - and that's sorely needed when you consider how different our politics are compared to twelve years ago.

I remember reading some comment essentially comparing Beto O'Rourke to Rubio, and I think it was pretty spot on.

In contrast, while I am best described as a "centrist libertarian" (who also used to identify as a moderate republican) I think Buttigieg is more authentic and provides an optimistic vision for America in his speeches and interviews. The democrats are certainly not doomed at all if he doesn't win the primaries, but I think Buttigieg would be a very good nominee. At least FAAAAR better than O'Rourke.

EDIT: At the very least, he should definitely be the Vice Presidential nominee.
If it weren't for the fact that the identity politics wing of the base would be bitter and salty over it, I think O'Rourke/Buttigieg or Buttigieg/O'Rourke would make a superb ticket.

Beto O'Rourke is the very definition of an identity politics candidate.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2019, 03:16:09 PM »

I think he would make a terrific nominee for the Democratic Party.

He's too moderate for me, but I think he would almost definitely beat Trump if he won the nomination, just going off his speeches and charisma.

My mom, one of the most diehard Trump supporters you could ever meet, said that while she would never vote for him in a million years, he is incredibly intelligent and a refreshing change of pace from mainstream Democrats.

But she did not like that he "attacked" Pence for his religious beliefs.

I don't understand how Republicans are overreacting so much to the Pence attack. I didn't love it, but it seemed pretty dull by attack standards. Very thin skinned. Of course Democrats overestimate his "homophobia" as a fear tactic to get young people to the voting booth. But Buttigieg barely even spoke up against it.

Everything else is spot on. It's hard to craft a coherent attack against him without looking deranged
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2019, 09:36:24 AM »

Donated $100 to Pete today.  I'm a big fan.

Thank you. We really appreciate your kind support.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2019, 12:16:52 AM »

Uh oh! Looks like Prince Pete isn't as perfect as Atlas had hoped. Is Atlas going to cut him as deep as they did Harris? We'll find out!

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/04/17/pete-buttigieg-enlists-barack-obama-hillary-clinton-fundraisers-for-2020-campaign.html

You...you just linked to an article that has nothing but positive things to say about him and his improved prospects.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2019, 08:52:29 AM »

He will place third among Biden, Sanders and Bettigeg

Agreed. Biden would be smart to put him the #2 spot, but I expect he will take a woman.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2019, 11:51:30 AM »

OMG! He's so relateable 😍😍😍 Not like Killer Kamala who goes after Willie Brown and hotshot millionaire lawyers. Talk about power lust....Not Chasten'd!
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2019, 11:40:04 PM »

I hope Roger gets around to releasing his Best Dressed list through some medium this year because that is beyond fabulous.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2019, 08:58:10 PM »

Bad tactics, man. Buttigieg is so color blind that he doesn't see the inherent racism of this stunt.

A white guy drinking beer with black guys is racist?

Okay 1960s George Wallace.

You can't be serious right now

Explain how it's racist?

Perpetuates the stereotype of black people drinking on 40s in the hood.

That's an amazingly specific stereotype that I've never heard of. I imagine you would have to be considerably old to be aware of it, if it even exists.

Lol im black and under 30 years old. How have you never heard this? Surely the black guy who tweeted this out doesn't think it's amazingly specific.

It's certainly not a thing in Puerto Rico, and it's not something I've seen in media or experienced in conversations or in any social circles in the mainland all my life.

I guess I'm fortunate enough to not have been exposed to all this hyper-racialized crap.

Puerto Rico isn't like the U.S. I guess because you are from Wisconsin (only assuming), you haven't seen it. But it definitely is a thing.

Born and raised in PR, but I've been living in Wisconsin for close to a decade now.

But yeah, no, I definitely haven't seen it, but, at this point, it doesn't surprise me all that much that it exists.

It's exceptionally common lol! Even from my ivory tower, you see it about twice a year.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2019, 12:06:13 PM »
« Edited: June 12, 2019, 03:38:36 PM by Speaker YE »

You can think he's boring, you can dislike him, but if he was boring, he'd not catch on. It's as simple as that. No small city Mayor can become one of the leading candidates in a field of over 20 without being interesting, and the credit for that already astounding accomplishment is his and his team's. Also:

Thanks for revealing why you're particularly sour about him.

Amazing this isn't a moderatable offense. I can't be the only one who reported something so egregious.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2019, 08:13:48 PM »
« Edited: June 12, 2019, 08:16:58 PM by Sprouts Farmers Market ✘ »

Amazing this isn't a moderatable offense. I can't be the only one who reported something so egregious.

You're not alone.

Not sour at all and I don't get how a frat ritual is offensive? Its a silly nickname for someone who has done a disservice to the african american community and is only doing "well" because he is being propped up in the media. I don't get democrats. They make fun of Republicans for putting up generic white males but are infatuated of a generic white male  

Gonna assume they thought the butt part referred to something rhyming with banal which in turn was supposed to be homophobic.
I like how the Liberals ignore the fact that his polices hurt the African-American community in South Bend but call me out for the silly nickname. I really could care less about his sexuality. If you are hurting communities of people and you continue to portray your self as a "progressive" and sleep well knowing you forced out African-Americans then I am going to refer to that candidate to a silly nickname.

I love Pete because I am staunchly anti-progressive. Only someone like him could usurp Daddy Trump. Very disingenuous for a libertarian to attack someone for lacking progressive credentials however. Now stop disgracing the Italian race like a dimestore Michael Sorrentino.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2019, 10:58:09 AM »
« Edited: June 24, 2019, 11:01:38 AM by Sprouts Farmers Market ✘ »

I think I'm back to Buttigieg given Biden's very obvious and severe shortcomings. Not very satisfied with Pete right now either given his role in shifting the tone of the abortion debate so negatively, but the alternatives are absolutely pathetic. Hoping Marianne gets momentum out of the debates. More likely than Hickenlooper or de Blaz....

I am now seeing how Elizabeth Warren is the most electable, which is fine with me. Her policies remain largely hilariously terrible, but I won't hate her as the face of the nation, and she's an actually respectable and accomplished self-made woman even if she in part used deceit.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2019, 10:28:45 AM »

Your side is literally pure evil.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2019, 07:04:42 PM »

Mayor Pete is a white and gay Corey Booker. Both are bought and paid for by big pharma, sad!

Don't you just mean white?
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2019, 11:47:23 AM »
« Edited: October 16, 2019, 11:52:16 AM by Sprouts Farmers Market ✘ »

Mayor Pete is the Mike Huckabee of 2020. No respect!

Shame since he has re-established himself as the only qualified member of this field given that Biden's dementia is worsening by the hour.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2019, 08:35:52 AM »

A gay has a much better chance of winning a Republican presidential primary in the current year than the Democratic primary.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2019, 01:42:27 AM »

Wow, Brian Boitano coming in with the CLUTCH endorsement. Now the millions of Americans wondering WWBBD no longer have to guess. Look for a big beautiful lavenous triple lutz up the polls for Pete!
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2019, 09:06:03 AM »

Ahhh!! he's just like us! 😍

When is the last time Democrats ran someone so relatable!
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2019, 03:29:24 PM »

Harvard has about 8x the quality of experience as the University of Chicago.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2019, 09:13:50 AM »

Harvard has about 8x the quality of experience as the University of Chicago.

who - and I cannot stress this enough - care

Class of 1876 care
Class of 1881 care
Class of 1899 care
Class of 1900 care
Class of 1911 care
Class of 1913 care
Class of 1914 care
Class of 1920 care

Those dudes were legends who could probably survive the grind of the SEC.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2020, 10:05:33 AM »

Butt judge is no longer relevant as Tender endorsed him

Cut out the namecalling. Buttigieg does not deserve that even if John Wayne Gacy himself endorsed him.

He won't win the nomination. We've known that forever. But we still can like him as a candidate or VEEP after he wins Midwestern state(s) but not enough delegates.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies