Ohio parents lose custody of trans child after banning them from transitioning
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 04:08:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Ohio parents lose custody of trans child after banning them from transitioning
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Ohio parents lose custody of trans child after banning them from transitioning  (Read 2214 times)
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2018, 08:19:15 PM »

HP decision. Are we going to have parents lose the rights to their child if their kid wants to be a cat, or change race?
Oh joy, an uneducated transphobe.

"These things are different because I don't support them"
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2018, 09:32:32 PM »

From the American College of Pediatricians:

http://www.acpeds.org/the-college-speaks/position-statements/gender-ideology-harms-children

I could agree with this decision if (A) it is sui generis, (B) limited in scope, and (C) based on reasoning that these medical procedures are now needed for the child's immediate mental health problems.  I'm not going to Monday Morning Quarterback how things got to the point this is at.  If this kid needs medicines to control depression and suicidal ideation because he's in crisis, then by all means, make it happen.  As for creating new rights out of whole cloth, I'm with the American College of Pediatricians.

KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2018, 09:36:46 PM »

When you're talking about a 17 year old, this is clearly the right decision. And frankly, no parent should be allowed to subject their children to Christian 'therapy' aka torture, that should be grounds for revoking custody in and of itself honestly.

That being said, I do think if this were a younger child (say, ten), that the parents should be allowed custody with limitations (aka they can't subject the child to Christian nonsense but have the right to say wait and see and try to be sure about transitioning prior to actually undergoing a largely irreversible procedure). This is because younger children have a broader variety of emotions and are more likely to exhibit gender fluidity that they don't actually realize later in life. Once a child hits like 15-17, though, they honestly should get last and only say about their identity before the eyes of the law.

Yeah this is more or less my opinion too. I support the ruling on balance due to the age of the child and the parents being HPs, but gender dysphoria =/= being transgender and I think caution is prudent when advocating hormonal transitions
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2018, 10:05:43 PM »

HP decision. Are we going to have parents lose the rights to their child if their kid wants to be a cat, or change race?

But if enough people declared the other things to be civil rights categories, Atlas would accept them immediately.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2018, 12:45:18 AM »

people need to remember that of both HRT and "doing nothing" are largely irreversible. Many transpeople who go through puberty regret it for the rest of their lives, and it is a major burden on their life satisfaction.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2018, 12:50:15 AM »

From the American College of Pediatricians:

This is an obscure fringe group of 500 members that largely exist to trumpet "Judeo-Christian beliefs" in regards to abortion, abstinence only sex ed and LGBT issues. The American Academy of Pediatricsm which is more established and much larger disagrees with them on most everything.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2018, 12:57:54 AM »

Yeah, I'm to lazy to attempt to educate transphobes who will never learn(race is a social construct, and otherkin don't try to change their bodies to fit how they identify AFAIK anyway, and treating them like s**t for it is wrong). Plus, gender separate from sex is a biological thing.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2018, 12:58:17 AM »

gender dysphoria =/= being transgender

Um, what?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies