BREAKING: Catalonia Declares Independence (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 07:50:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  BREAKING: Catalonia Declares Independence (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: BREAKING: Catalonia Declares Independence  (Read 23002 times)
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« on: March 26, 2018, 07:13:31 PM »

Never in my life - NEVER - would I have imagined that the Bundesland I live in will be mentioned on CNN, BBC, New York Times & Co. Roll Eyes
Puigdemont wasn't arrested in Switzerland, he wasn't arrested in Finland, he wasn't arrested in Denmark, but the German authorities, of course, have to European Arrest Warrant. 😒
The Higher Regional Court of Schleswig-Holstein has decided that Puigdemont has to remain in custody (they say tarrying in Neumünster is worse than getting back to Spain 😁; the court is to decide within 60 days if he will be extradited to Spain to face trial. The jurisprudential problem concerning this whole case is: There is no statutory offense called "rebellion" in the German criminal code; thus even the pundits are not sure if Puigdemont has to be extradited.
The Left and some parts of the SPD demand his immediate release, criticize Merkel's cooperation with the Spanish secret service (some newspapers found out that the reason Puigdemont was arrested in Germany was that the cooperation between the German and the Spanish intelligence agencies is very close), plus they called upon the Spanish legislate to abolish the respective paragraph.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2018, 02:00:16 AM »

Never had I thought that a provincial court in Schleswig-Holstein could and would influence a foreign judicial procedure in such a way as to determine what the defendant may be prosecuted for.  Glasses
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2018, 08:18:47 PM »

Puigdemont has been release from custody today. However he had to post bail of 75,000 €.
He immediately hold a speech in front of the jail, whose first words were in German. It's astonishing how quickly you can learn a language when you have to live among criminals for a few days. Tongue
His release on bail drew a large crowd as you can see in the picture below:

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies