Troubling Times - A 1968 Presidential Election Game (Gameplay Thread)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 11:09:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Troubling Times - A 1968 Presidential Election Game (Gameplay Thread)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 14
Author Topic: Troubling Times - A 1968 Presidential Election Game (Gameplay Thread)  (Read 29594 times)
Mycool

Political Matrix
E: -4.58, S: -6.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: September 28, 2018, 12:29:54 PM »

Margaret Chase Smith Campaign Schedule

Week One: MCS kicks off a tour of the West Coast with a rally in San Diego with Senators Murphy and Kuchel, touting her independent experience in the House in Senate. MCS toured California, speaking about the need for law and order and a strong foreign policy presence. As the campaign moved north to San Francisco and then Oregon, the focus shifted to civil rights, with the Voting Rights Act being a large part of her stump speech. While in Oregon, MCS traveled the rural communities in the east, speaking with them about the impact of trade and foreign policy on their livelihoods. Finally, the campaign swung through Washington, with speeches on the danger of extremism and a call for electability in November.

Week Two: MCS traveled back to New Hampshire, spending most of the week doing town halls around the state. The town halls took a positive tone, focusing on the need for an American Conscience with lines from the famous speech 'Declaration of Conscience.' In a speech, MCS made a call for "Smith Republicans," moderate Republicans who supported civil rights, education spending,  and eschewed partisanship, to support her across the Northeast. In a rally in New York, Nelson Rockefeller dropped out and pushed his supporters to support MCS as a moderate option in the primary.
Huey Long is a Republican
New Tennessean Politician
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #101 on: September 28, 2018, 02:34:37 PM »
« Edited: October 15, 2018, 08:15:55 AM by New Tennessean Politician »

Turn III

February 16th - March 12th

New Hampshire Primary

On March 12th, the first of the 15 Primaries Nationwide, New Hampshire, will decide who to support for the Convention; Maine and Vermont will allow their delegates to support whomever wins their 'caucuses' tonight.

FEA protests State Funding of Education

The Florida Education Association has initiated a mass resignation of teachers to protest State Funding of Education, leading to possible turn for Teachers in the future.

Tat Offensive halted as South Vietnamese retake Huế

The Tet Offensive, used by the Viet Cong and NVA, has finally been halted as the South Vietnamese after they retake Huế. Thousands are dead, missing, or wounded in the aftermath in perhaps the worst offensive in terms of life in the war.

Ha My Massacre in Vietnam

In an occurrence all to common during the war, Republican of Korea marines massacred 135 Women, Children, and Elders before dumping their bodies in a shallow grave. Many in Vietnam wants these marines to be held accountable though it is rather unlikely due to who is in charge of the war effort.

Rhodesia executes 3 black citizens, receiving International Condemnation

The Unrecognized nation of Rhodesia has executed three Black citizens, prompting condemnation from the International Community. Whether this could be an issue in the Election remains to be seen.

South Vietnamese Army and United States Forces win Battle of Saigon

US and South Vietnamese forces have successfully repelled an attack by National Front for the Liberation of South Vietnam and NVA forces, defending their capital but at a high price as Anti-War sentiment grows at home.

Polish Students protest

Several Polish Students in the Polish People's Republic has decided to Protest the regime in Warsaw. These protests, while young and random, seemingly, could become something greater if left to fester.

Battle of Lima Site 85; 12 US Air Force Ground Combatants dead

The Battle of Lima Site 85 has ended with the US Air Force suffering their worst causalities in their history thus far (12) as Communists successfully defeat allied forces.

Nixon falls in support after hitting Romney

While Governor Romney has received a lot of criticism for his Education policy and Senator Goldwater has been hit on the non existent gaffe of him saying Eisenhower was the last President (clearly referring that Ike was the last REPUBLICAN in office, not the last President before the current on), Former Vice President Nixon has fallen greatly in support following his actions to remove Governor Romney from the Ballots and declare his candidacy completely illegal despite his parents being US Citizens. Whether Nixon can bounce back after this is unknown, but it's certain that for the time being he has fallen in support.

Rockefeller drops out/Endorses Smith

New York Governor Nelson Rockefeller has dropped out due to a lack of support and endorsed Maine Senator Margaret Chase Smith, who received a massive boost in support following the action.

Republicans Nationally:

Goldwater: 17%
Baker: 15%
Case: 15%
Smith: 15%
Reagan: 13%
Romney: 9%
Nixon: 9%
Scranton: 4%
Stassen: 2%
Undecided: 1%

With Nixon having dropped in the polls by 3%, Goldwater, Baker, Case, and Smith have become the new headliners for the Republican Primary with Goldwater being the front runner and Baker, Case, and Smith being tied for 2nd while Reagan is in a solid third, Nixon and Romney being in fourth, Scranton being in Fifth, and Stassen at a lonely sixth, New Hampshire could be the deciding factor for the Republican Primary at this time and the winner could have a short boost in support due to it.

Democrats Nationally:

Kennedy: 27%
Mink: 21%
Humphrey: 16%
McCarthy: 13%
Smathers: 12%
Mansfield: 7%
Undecided: 4%

With the rise of Patsy Mink and the lack of campaigning from Vice President Humphrey, and Senators Smathers, McCarthy, and Mansfield, the Democratic Primary has thus far become a battle between Robert Francis Kennedy and Patsy Mink for the Nomination with the New Hampshire Primary possibly deciding who of the two is the strongest for November.

Generic Election Polling:

Generic Republican: 45%
Generic Democrat: 43%
Undecided/Others: 12%

President Johnson Approval Rating

Approve: 46%
Disapprove: 43%
Unsure/No Opinion: 11%

Moderator's notes: This turn will last until Wednesday night, September 26th, at 3:30 PM Eastern Time. Make sure to PM me ASAP if you need an extension, preferably after you read this sentence. Extensions will be given for the requester and the requester only, not for the field at large, so if you need an extension, PM me.

Debates can be crafted but a Player first have to challenge all his opponents in the Primary and they all have to agree to said Debate and where said Debate will take place. Once the details are hammered out, I will have the Debate ready for the next Turn.

This turn will last from the rest of February to the New Hampshire Primary on March 12th. Make sure to schedule your campaign accordingly.

Messaging is key! This turn will be all about strengthening your support and getting enough support to win the Primary, so make sure to write your speeches/schedule accordingly! Speaking of which...

A schedule is required. You can post 20 speeches or no speeches, but what is required for you to post is your schedule. It doesn't have to be detailed, just give me a short description of each day's (or week's) events.

Advertisements: if you poll more than 15% nationally, you may run three advertisements. If you poll between 10% and 15%, you may run two advertisements, and if you poll below 10% but above 5%, then you can run one advertisement! Remember to diversify. Don't rely too much on TV Ads as those had only been around for a few elections, so do some Radio ads as well.

The Democratic Debate, State Polling, Regional Strength, Candidate Notoriety, Organization, and Funding will all be posted later.
Jaguar4life
United States

« Reply #102 on: September 28, 2018, 02:44:38 PM »

Goldwater issues apology statement
At last night debate I made amistake that I said that President Eisenhower was the last President.

I knew I meant to say last Republican President and that it seemed that I was more focus on getting my answer done and rather than be factual.  I apologize to the viewers and supporters of mine and to the family of the late President Kennedy.

Thank you and hope you understand
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #103 on: September 28, 2018, 03:09:16 PM »
« Edited: October 15, 2018, 08:18:04 AM by New Tennessean Politician »

(I'll only be using the Candidate on the Ballots for these states' Polling. I'll do all Candidate for a specific Region)

State Polling:

New Hampshire:

Republicans:

Smith: 31%
Baker: 29%%
Case: 27%
Scranton: 5%
Nixon: 3%
Romney: 3%
Reagan: 1%

Reasoning: Following New York Governor Nelson Rockefeller dropping out and Nixon's attempt at calling Governor Romney's Candidacy illegal, Senator Smith has a rocky 2% lead in New Hampshire as Senators Baker and Case are making it incredibly close for her and could theoretically cause an upset win against her. Nixon could theoretically  make a comeback, but it's unlikely.

Democrats:

Kennedy: 51%
Mink: 36%
Undecided: 13%

Reasoning: With the inclusion of RFK on the ballot, Patsy Mink has had her chances in New Hampshire dashed as Bobby takes a 15 Point lead over her. She can make it close but it's unlikely she'll win it against him and the Kennedy machine.

Wisconsin

Republicans:

Case: 36%
Scranton: 30%
Goldwater: 11%
Undecided: 22%

Reasoning: Following Rockefeller dropping out, Senator Case has taken the lead in the State of Wisconsin and has a good lead over Former Governor Scranton. Despite this, Scranton could take the lead over him and win should Governor Romney not appear on the ballot in time. Goldwater could also be the deciding factor in the primary as well.

Democrats:

Mink: 32%
Smathers: 10%
Undecided: 58%

Reasoning: With the lack of Smathers on the campaign trail and Mink on the ballot, many Democrats have flocked to her, though she faces a possible write-in campaign for Kennedy as both lack the support Kennedy has nation-wide.

Pennsylvania

Republicans:

Scranton: 38%
Case: 30%
Smith: 21%
Nixon: 7%
Romney: 3%

Reasoning: While Scranton still is in the lead in his home state, the entrance of Senator Case had thrown the Former Governor for a loop as he now has a massive base of support with Senator Smith in a third positioning. The attacks on Romney and the Nixon scandal on attacking Romney has been what led to this happening and has thus led the State getting closer and closer. It can be anyone's state on Primary day, however.

Democrats:

Kennedy: 63%
Smathers: 7%
Undecided: 30%

Reasoning: The lack of Smathers and the entrance of Kennedy has led to the New York Senator winning a massive amount of support in the state and it's rather unlikely Smathers can win this state and thus many have agreed the only hope for him is consolidating the Plains and the South to win the Nomination.
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #104 on: September 28, 2018, 03:46:23 PM »
« Edited: October 15, 2018, 08:40:16 AM by New Tennessean Politician »

Regional Strength per Candidate

Republicans:

New England

States: Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, and Vermont

1st. Margaret Chase Smith
2nd. Clifford Case
3rd. William Scranton
4th. Howard Baker
5th. George Romney
6th. Richard M. Nixon
7th. Ronald Reagan
8th. Barry Goldwater
9th. Harold Stassen

Mid-Atlantic

States: New Jersey, New York, and Pennsylvania

1st. William Scranton
2nd. Clifford Case
3rd Margaret Chase Smith
4th. Howard Baker
5th. Harold Stassen
6th. George Romney
7th. Richard M. Nixon
8th. Barry Goldwater
9th. Ronald Reagan

South Atlantic

States: Washington DC, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Maryland, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, and West Virginia

1st. Howard Baker
2nd. Barry Goldwater
3rd. Ronald Reagan
4th. Clifford Case
5th. William Scranton
6th. George Romney
7th. Richard M. Nixon
8th. Margaret Chase Smith
9th. Harold Stassen

East South Central

States: Alabama, Kentucky, Mississippi, and Tennessee

1st. Howard Baker
2nd. Barry Goldwater
3rd. Ronald Reagan
4th. Clifford Case
5th. William Scranton
6th. George Romney
7th. Richard M. Nixon
8th. Margaret Chase Smith
9th. Harold Stassen

East North Central

States: Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Michigan, and Wisconsin

1st. Clifford Case
2nd. William Scranton
3rd. Margaret Chase Smith
4th. George Romney
5th. Howard Baker
6th. Barry Goldwater
7th. Ronald Reagan
8th. Richard M. Nixon
9th. Harold Stassen

West South Central

States: Arkansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, and Texas

1st. Ronald Reagan
2nd. Barry Goldwater
3rd. Howard Baker
4th. William Scranton[
5th. Clifford Case
6th. Margaret Chase Smith
7th. color=orange]Richard M. Nixon[/color]
8th. George Romney
9th. Harold Stassen

West North Central

States: Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, and South Dakota

1st. Margaret Chase Smith
2nd. Clifford Case
3rd. William Scranton
4th. Howard Baker
5th. Barry Goldwater
6th. George Romney
7th. Ronald Reagan
8th. Richard M. Nixon
9th. Harold Stassen

Mountain

States: Arizona, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Utah, and Wyoming

1st. Barry Goldwater
2nd. Howard Baker
3rd. Ronald Reagan
4th. Margaret Chase Smith
5th. Clifford Case
6th. George Romney
7th. Richard M. Nixon
8th. William Scranton
9th. Harold Stassen

Pacific

States: Alaska, California, Hawaii, Oregon, and Washington

1st. Ronald Reagan
2nd. Barry Goldwater
3rd. Margaret Chase Smith
4th. Clifford Case
5th. Howard Baker
6th. William Scranton
7th. George Romney
8th. Richard M. Nixon
9th. Harold Stassen

Democrats:

New England

States: Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, and Vermont

1st. Robert F. Kennedy
2nd. Eugene McCarthy
3rd. Patsy Mink
4th. Hubert Humphrey
5th. George Smathers
6th. Mike Mansfield

Mid-Atlantic

States: New Jersey, New York, and Pennsylvania

1st. Robert F. Kennedy
2nd. Eugene McCarthy
3rd. Hubert Humphrey
4th. Patsy Mink
5th. George Smathers
6th. Mike Mansfield

South Atlantic

States: Washington DC, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Maryland, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, and West Virginia

1st. George Smathers
2nd. Mike Mansfield
3rd. Hubert Humphrey
4th. Patsy Mink
5th. Eugene McCarthy
6th. Robert F. Kennedy

East South Central

States: Alabama, Kentucky, Mississippi, and Tennessee

1st. George Smathers
2nd. Mike Mansfield
3rd. Hubert Humphrey
4th. Patsy Mink
5th. Eugene McCarthy
6th. Robert F. Kennedy

East North Central

States: Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Michigan, and Wisconsin

1st. Robert F. Kennedy
2nd. Eugene McCarthy
3rd. Hubert Humphrey
4th. Patsy Mink
5th. Mike Mansfield
6th. George Smathers

West South Central

States: Arkansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, and Texas

1st. George Smathers
2nd. Hubert Humphrey
3rd. Mike Mansfield
4th. Patsy Mink
5th. Eugene McCarthy
6th. Robert F. Kennedy

West North Central

States: Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, and South Dakota

1st. Hubert Humphrey
2nd. Robert F. Kennedy
3rd. Eugene McCarthy
4th. George Smathers
5th. Patsy Mink
6th. Mike Mansfield

Mountain

States: Arizona, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Utah, and Wyoming

1st. Robert F. Kennedy
2nd. Patsy Mink
3rd. Mike Mansfield
4th. George Smathers
5th. Eugene McCarthy
6th. Hubert Humphrey

Pacific

States: Alaska, California, Hawaii, Oregon, and Washington

1st. Robert F. Kennedy
2nd. Patsy Mink
3rd. Hubert Humphrey
4th. Eugene McCarthy
5th. Mike Mansfield
6th. George Smathers
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #105 on: September 28, 2018, 03:51:02 PM »
« Edited: October 15, 2018, 08:48:00 AM by New Tennessean Politician »

Character Data

Notoriety = N, Organization = O, Finance = F

You must be logged in to read this quote.
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #106 on: September 28, 2018, 05:29:50 PM »
« Edited: October 15, 2018, 08:57:41 AM by New Tennessean Politician »

First Democratic Debate between Senators Kennedy and Smathers and Representative Mink in at University of Vermont in Burlington, Vermont on March 11th

Cronkite: "Welcome each and every viewer to the first Democratic Presidential Debate between New York Senator Robert Francis Kennedy, Florida Senator George Smathers, and Hawaii Representative Patsy Mink at the University of Vermont in Burlington. I'm your moderator Walter Cronkite of CBS News. We ask for all those in the Audience tonight to hold their applause and remain quiet for the Duration of their debate and respect each candidate as they answer. Now, let's start debating."

Cronkite: "And that will be the end of this debate. We again want to thank the University of Vermont for hosting this debate. Thank you and we hope the viewers at home tune in to watch the New Hampshire Primary Coverage tomorrow night. Good Night."
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #107 on: September 29, 2018, 09:16:27 AM »

Kennedy debate answers.

1) It is shameful the lengths people will go to slander the name of my brother, God rest his soul. My brother appointed qualified people to every post and he believed I was qualified to be Attorney-General. Truth be told, it took an excessive amount of lobbying from both my brothers and father before I agreed to take the post.

I intend to use the same approach with my cabinet. Only the best qualified individuals will be appointed to my cabinet. I would not nominate any family member to any post in my cabinet unless they prove themselves capable of carrying out the duties that post involves.

2) I did not feel I could continue to serve my country in an effective capacity under President Johnson. I was stifled at every turn and many of my concerns were tossed aside due to political expediency. I opposed escalating the war in Vietnam, while Johnson has been its biggest cheerleader since it began. President Johnson did not care one bit for me or my opinions, and I felt I could serve better as a Senator than as the Johnson administration's Attorney-General.

3) This is nothing more than slander. I said in my announcement speech that I was running to propose new ideas. I am not hijacking someone's campaign, and to insinuate that I am doing so is profoundly insulting to the millions of people who have given their time and effort to support me. I wish my colleague from Minnesota the best of luck, but ask that he stop using these lies.

4) I am older and wiser than I was last year. I have had much more time to think on why I lost that debate. This time, I am far better prepared to face any potential Republican opponent. I was caught unprepared last time; and I refuse to be taken by surprise a second time.

5) I say what I have said on the campaign trail. We need to immediately halt all bombing and start negotiating with the North Vietnamese government. Once this is done, we can bring our boys home and start addressing what is happening at home. We need to act further on civil rights and I would consider giving a pardon to those who had legitimate reasons for signing the draft, as well as ending the draft completely. It is time for our nation to move last the war.

6) The farmers of this country deserve our help, and there are numerous ways we do do this. Aside from continued farm subsidies, we can also look at identifying countries that are struggling with their harvest, and negotiate advantageous trade deals with them. Not only will it be a source of revenue for farmers and the government alike, but it will also be a big foreign policy win for us. In the case of Soviet-allied countries, we can negotiate to weaken their ties to the Soviet Union, in turn weakening the Soviet Bloc.

7) We often forget that the Civil Rights Act was passed with a lot of Republican help. We can look for areas of agreement with Repiblicans; encouraging private enterprise through setting up initiatives for example. We can encourage compromises with them, but we cannot compromise so much that we lose our soul.

Cool We need an immediate national infrastructure program, financed by the federal government with private companies picking up the slack. We can renew our cities greatly by making sure our buildings, ports, airfields, schools, universities  and roads are up to a modern standard in all respects. Yes, this may cost quite a bit, but ultimately, it will pay off in the long run. Our cities have been neglected far too long in this regard.

9) New Hampshire is known as the "Live free or die" state. Under my watch, the Justice Department became an active protector of civil rights in this country, making sure that blacks and other people of color are able to eat at the same restaurant as a white man. Our black population can live free now, but we can act further on it. I intend to do so.
Joe Biden 2024
Gorguf

« Reply #108 on: September 30, 2018, 03:26:15 PM »

Governor Scranton applies for the ballot in Ohio.
terp40hitch
United States

« Reply #109 on: September 30, 2018, 04:08:06 PM »

Senator Baker is on the ballot in three key southern states of Florida, West Virginia and Washington D.C. and one key northern state of New Hampshire. Now, Baker is applying to be on the ballot in South Dakota
Mycool

Political Matrix

« Reply #110 on: October 01, 2018, 12:01:28 PM »

Margaret Chase Smith seeks ballot access for Wisconsin, Massachusetts, New Jersey, Ohio, and DC
terp40hitch
United States

« Reply #111 on: October 01, 2018, 06:36:50 PM »

Endorsment Scheadule

Governor Spiro Agnew (R-MD)
Campaigning in Maryland, Virginia, Deleware and Washington D.C.

Baker's second governor endorsement is Spiro Agnew from Maryland. Agnew would be a very important surrogate in the northern parts of the south like Virginia and Maryland. Governor Agnew would continue to build on Baker's experience which became an issue from Richard Nixon and Clifford Case. Agnew in those states that he did visit met with the governor and the senators of those states while also fundraising which is still a problem to the campaign.

Former Governor F. Ray Keyser (R-VT)
Campaigning in Vermont

Former Governor of Vermont is the second endorsement for Baker before New Hampshire primaries and the Vermont and Maine Caucuses. Baker believes that Maine is going in a landslide towards Margret Chase Smith and Baker believes that New Hampshire is going for Smith too but Baker is putting a lot effort in that state. Still, the majority of the effort in the northeast was being put into Vermont which without Rockefeller in the race, Baker believes is a tossup so he is putting a mass amount of effort into the state. Keyser was the main surrogate in Vermont for Baker. While Keyser was traveling across Vermont he mainly aimed for support in the northwest corner of the state which tends to be more Republican.

Former Congresswomen Clare Boothe Luce (R-CT)
Campaigning in New Hampshire and Vermont

Clare Boothe Luce continued on her journey of winning over women voters in the northeast from the Smith campaign. Luce was the most important surrogate in the close state of New Hampshire. Baker believes that most likely New Hampshire is going to Smith but Baker is still hoping he can make it close and within five percent. Baker also is trying to put a lot of New Hampshire to keep both Goldwater and Nixon down.

In New Hampshire, Luce is still aiming for major support in the coos and Belknap county area as she did in the previous weeks. While Luce was in Vermont, she traveled across the northern area like Former Governor Keyser did.

Governor Paul Fannin (R-AZ)
Campaigning in Texas, Arkansas and Vermont

Governor Fannin traveled across the country this turn and tried to switch support from Goldwater to Baker. Fannin started his time in Texas where the Baker campaign believes he is in a close second or third to Ronald Reagan or Barry Goldwater so Fannin is trying to close that gap. Baker believes that his chances of winning the nomination within the first few ballots. Another state that is a needed state is Arkansas at the convection so Fannin is also traveling there to support Baker. Still, Arkansas and Texas were not where he spent the majority of his time. Fannin lasted the longest in Vermont to help grow the support that the Baker campaign has started to build in the final three weeks before voting starts.

Congressmen J. Herbert Burke (R-FL)
Campaigning in Washington D.C, Virginia, North Carolina Florida, Georgia and South Carolina

Congressmen Herbert will be the main surrogate in the deep south and he has a decreased role these weeks because the campaign is putting a majority of effort in New Hampshire and Vermont though it is still very important since Baker's path lies in the south. Herbert would take a car trip from his congressional office in Washington D.C. down to his district in Florida taking stops in each state to hold support rallies and fundraisers throughout the states.  

Congressmen John Ashbrook (R-OH)
Campaigning in New Hampshire, Vermont and Washington D.C.

John Ashbrook, as chair of Baker's national campaign, is taking a tour around Vermont and New Hampshire with Senator Baker ahead of the caucus and primary. While in the northeast with Baker, Ashbrook would stress Baker's rational conservative agenda since New Hampshire and Vermont was at that time very middle of the round Republican states which fits in with Baker's theme. In New Hampshire, Ashbrook would stress New Hampshire's moto of live free or die while Ashbrook talked about Smith, Romney and Nixon's record of infringing upon the constitution.

Ashbrook would also campaign in and around D.C. and fundraise to continue to grow a war chest that Baker has been missing compared to his cheif rivals of Goldwater and Nixon.

Campaign Plan

Amount Of Effort Being Put in Each States
Red:Exterme, Blue:Medium, Green Little Grey: None

• Contitue to organize the campaign, mainly centered around the south especially Florida, D.C, Tennesee, Georgia, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina and Alabama
  • Contitue to put effort in the South but launched a large campaign effort in New Hampshire and Vermont
  • Put a focus on three key primaries, Florida, Washington D.C. and New Hampshire
  • Attack Romney for his unconstitutional stance on Education
  • In primary states, Baker makes a ground operation of an army of volunteers to spread his name while in non-primary states that he is trying to win, he is sending endorsers and volunteers to meet with political officials to win over their delegation support

Howard Baker For President 1968

Campaign Staff

National Campaign Chairmen: Rep. John Ashbrook (R-OH)
         -Northeast Chairwomen: Former Rep. Clare Boothe Luce (R-CT)
         -Midwest Chairmen: Rep. John Ashbrook (R-OH)
         -South Chairmen: Rep. J. Herbert Brooke (R-FL)
         -Southwest Chairmen: Gov. Paul Fannin (R-AZ)
         -Northwest Chairmen: None
         -West Chairmen: None
         -Alaska and Hawaii Chairmen: None

Campaign Manager: Peter M. Flanagan
      Deputy Campaign Manager: Former Alabama Republican Chairmen John Grenier
Communications Director: Frank Shakespeare
Finance Director: Phil Crane
Volunteer Director: Don Mulford

Campaign Infasture

National Campaign Headquarters:
      Nashville, TN

Convection Headquarters:
      Palm Beach, FL

Area Headquarters:
      Northeast: Manchester, NH
      Midwest: Columbus, OH
      South: Nashville, TN
      Southwest: Dallas, TX
      Northwest: None
      West: Phoenix, AZ
      Alaska and Hawaii: Juneau. AK
Jaguar4life
United States

« Reply #112 on: October 01, 2018, 10:31:37 PM »

What Goldwater did part 1

Goldwater campaigned in Florida legalizing marijuana and balencing the budget and called out the Democrats for there massive “Tax and spend” polices while campaigning on reforming the Federal Reserve and bringing back the Gold Standard
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #113 on: October 02, 2018, 06:04:31 AM »

Kennedy '68

Schedule for rest of February

February 16-20: Kennedy campaigned in New Hampshire for these days, rallying support from the populace. He made efforts to appear with Jackie as well for two major rallies, banking on the memory of his brother to win as much support as possible. He also held several town halls, addressing the concerns of voters, and met with local black leaders.

February 21-25: Kennedy launched himself into Wisconsin with vigour, declaring that he will attempt to register for the ballot one last time before considering a write-in campaign. He met with various union leaders and toured construction sites while using the time to spruik his pro-worker policies, such as the repeal of Taft-Hartley.

February 26-29: These days were spent in Pennsylvania, as Bobby once again tied himself to the working class and black vote. He met with local civil rights leaders, vowing to do more to protect not just civil rights in the south, but nationwide. He also used this chance to tout his fierce defence of civil rights while serving as Attorney-General.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #114 on: October 03, 2018, 12:21:31 PM »
« Edited: October 03, 2018, 12:37:34 PM by NewYorkExpress »

Nixon Announcement

Given my horrific results in recent polling for the Republican primaries, I find it prudent that I suspend my campaign for President. Now, that leaves the question of who I endorse next. I'm very uncomfortable making this endorsement, but I think this candidate has the best chance to both unite our party and win in November, plus there's the bonus that she'd be making history by being the first female President.

I hereby endorse Margaret Chase Smith for President.
Joe Biden 2024
Gorguf

« Reply #115 on: October 04, 2018, 10:36:21 AM »

William Scranton Campaign Schedule-February 16 to March 12

February 16: Rally and fundraiser in Harrisburg with Senator Scott

February 17-19: Barnstorming in Pennsylvania and New Jersey

February 20-21: Barnstorming and fundraising in Massachusetts and Connecticut with Governor Volpe and Senator Bush

February 22-25: Barnstorming in New Hampshire

February 25-26: Rallies in Concord, Nashua, Manchester and Portsmouth, New Hampshire

February 27: Rally in Lansing, Michigan, where the endorsement of Senator Robert P. Griffin of Michigan is announced

Excerpt from Griffin's speech: "This administration has failed to look out for the working class of America, those who keep our nation going. Governor Scranton has shown to be looking out for the working man, and so he has my endorsement for President!"

February 28-March 1: Barnstorming in Michigan and Ohio with Senator Griffin

March 2: Rally in Peoria, Illinois, where the endorsement of Senator Charles Percy of Illinois is announced

Excerpt from Percy's speech: "Four years ago, our party suffered a crushing defeat at the hands of President Johnson. But now is a new day, and we cannot make the mistakes of four years ago. Now it is not the time for another conservative. Now is the time for a man like President Eisenhower to take the reins. A man who's a proven leader, and a man with a good reputation both in and out of public service. William Scranton has shown himself to be that man which is why I am endorsing him for President!"

March 2-5: Barnstorming and fundraising in Illinois, Wisconsin, and Ohio with Senators Percy and Griffin

March 5-6: Barnstorming and fundraising in California

March 7: Rallies in San Diego, Bakersfield, and Sacramento

March 8: Rally and fundraiser in Portland, Oregon

March 9: Barnstorming in New Jersey

March 10: Barnstorming in New Hampshire, and rallies in Concord and Nashua

March 11: Rallies in Scranton and Erie, Pennsylvania

March 11-12: Barnstorming in Pennsylvania, Michigan, and Wisconsin
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #116 on: October 05, 2018, 05:07:03 PM »

The Kennedy campaign requests to be on the Wisconsin ballot.
Jaguar4life
United States

« Reply #117 on: October 07, 2018, 08:41:41 PM »

What Goldwater did 2

Goldwater campaign on the economy some more in his home state of Arizona and campaigned more this time on getting the troops out of Vietnam ASAP.
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #118 on: October 08, 2018, 02:54:34 PM »
« Edited: November 07, 2018, 09:25:42 AM by New Tennessean Politician »

New Hampshire Primary, 1968

Cronkite:: "Greeting ladies and Gentlemen and welcome to the coverage of the 1968 New Hampshire Presidential Primaries for both Political Parties, as well as the coverage of the Vermont and Maine Caucuses that will decide who gets the Delegates from those states. On the Republican Side, longtime Senator and Congresswoman hopes to win, but Rising Stars Clifford P. Chase and Howard Baker look to put a dent in her chances. On the Democratic Side, with the sudden absence of Patsy Minsk from the Campaign trail, Senator Kennedy hopes to follow in the footsteps of his brother and win the Primaries before going on to winning the General. it's 8 PM in the East and already, early results are coming out as we speak and let's view them."

New Hampshire Republican Presidential Primary - 1% Reporting

Howard Baker - 38%
Margaret Chase Smith - 23%
Clifford P. Case - 22%
William Scranton: 12%
Ronald Reagan - 3%
George Romney - 1%

New Hampshire Democratic Presidential Primary - 1% Reporting

Robert Kennedy - 81%
Patsy Mink - 18%

Cronkite: "And we can already make a projection...Senator Kennedy will easily win the New Hampshire Democratic Presidential Primary and all 16 Delegates from that state and we can also project that he will win Vermont and Maine Caucuses, getting 24 Delegates from Maine and 23 Delegates from Vermont, Representative Patsy Mink getting the remaining Delegates. For the Republicans, the lead you are seeing Baker have is likely to shrink as the more Conservative northern part of the state is currently voting right now. Expect a close night."

Senator Robert F. Kennedy easily wins New Hampshire Democratic Presidential Primary and wins the Maine and Vermont Democratic Caucuses (gets 63 Delegates tonight)

8:10 PM EST

Cronkite: "It's 8:15 PM in the East and already, Baker's lead is lessening as Case is within 3 points of him. At the same time, Senator Smith is risking losing her third place to Governor Scranton, who is doing quite well as of right now, which, again, is likely to change."

New Hampshire Republican Presidential Primary - 5% Reporting

Howard Baker - 29%
Clifford P. Case - 26%
Margaret Chase Smith - 21%
William Scranton: 15%
Ronald Reagan - 6%
George Romney - 2%

8:20 PM EST

Cronkite: "It's 8:20 PM in the East and with 10% of the vote in, Senator Case has taken a slight lead over Senator Baker while Governor Scranton has dropped to single digits as Senator Smith gains more votes."

New Hampshire Republican Presidential Primary - 10% Reporting

Clifford P. Case - 32%
Howard Baker - 31%
Margaret Chase Smith - 25%
William Scranton: 5%
Ronald Reagan - 4%
George Romney - 2%

8:30 PM EST

Cronkite: "It's now 8:30 PM in the East and with 15% of the vote in, Baker has retaken the lead and Senator Smith has retaken second place from Senator Case. Watch as this gets tighter and tighter with every passing minute."

New Hampshire Republican Presidential Primary - 15% Reporting

Howard Baker - 37%
Margaret Chase Smith - 32%
Clifford P. Case - 24%
William Scranton: 3%
Ronald Reagan - 2%
George Romney - 1%

8:40 PM EST

Cronkite: "It's now 8:40 PM in the East. We can project that Senator Baker will win in Coos and Grafton Counties, where a solid chunk of his Conservative Voting base is. Senator Case will win Sullivan County, so that is 3 of 10 Counties already called. Senator Baker is leading in Belknap and Merrimack counties while Senator Case leads in Cheshire County and Senator Smith leads in Rockingham, Strafford, Hillsborough, and Carroll counties. Baker is consolidating his lead but by 9:10, more votes that favor Case and Smith will come in from the more Liberal Areas so expect those votes to help change the primary."

New Hampshire Republican Presidential Primary - 20% Reporting

Howard Baker - 45%
Margaret Chase Smith - 30%
Clifford P. Case - 22%
William Scranton: 1%
Ronald Reagan - 1%
George Romney - 1%

8:50 PM EST

Cronkite: "It's 8:50 PM in the East and as you can see, Baker is actually expanding on his lead as he sucks up the last of the Conservative vote in the state as Baker and Smith just have to hold out until the liberal areas come in."

New Hampshire Republican Presidential Primary - 25% Reporting

Howard Baker - 52%
Margaret Chase Smith - 29%
Clifford P. Case - 16%
Ronald Reagan - 1%
George Romney - 1%

9:00 PM EST

Cronkite: "It's now 9 PM in the East and Baker's lead is now falling rapidly as more votes come in from the counties bordering Maine and Massachusetts, two liberal states, which don't help Senator Baker at all. Senator Smith now just 7 points from taking the lead from him."

New Hampshire Republican Presidential Primary - 30% Reporting

Howard Baker - 34%
Margaret Chase Smith - 27%
Clifford P. Case - 19%
William Scranton: 10%
Ronald Reagan - 7%
George Romney - 2%

9:10 PM EST

Cronkite: "It's now 9:10 PM in the East and with huge dumps of vote from the more liberal parts of the state, Senator Smith has taken the lead and Senator Smith is rapidly catching up as we now get 55% in from these vote dumps. It's still anyone's night but it could likely be the win that Senator Smith needed."

New Hampshire Republican Presidential Primary - 55% Reporting

Margaret Chase Smith - 38%
Howard Baker - 28%
Clifford P. Case - 26%
Ronald Reagan - 1%
George Romney - 1%

9:20 PM EST

Cronkite: "It's 9:20 PM in the East and the battle for first continues as with 60% of the vote in, Senator Baker is 7 points behind Senator Smith while Senator Case, who is in Second, is only 2 points behind Senator Smith. 40% of the vote is left, so anything can happen. It's only when 5% of the vote remains is when things look final."

New Hampshire Republican Presidential Primary - 60% Reporting

Margaret Chase Smith - 34%
Clifford P. Case - 32%
Howard Baker - 27%
William Scranton: 5%
Ronald Reagan - 1%
George Romney - 1%

9:30 PM EST

Cronkite: "It's now 9:30 PM in the East and Senator Smith has increased her lead by 10 points, while Senator Baker has retaken second place and is now only 12 points behind Senator Smith, though Senator Case is right on his tail."

New Hampshire Republican Presidential Primary - 65% Reporting

Margaret Chase Smith - 44%
Howard Baker - 32%
Clifford P. Case - 20%
Ronald Reagan - 1%
George Romney - 1%

9:40 PM EST

Cronkite: "It's now 9:40 PM in the East and Senator Smith has taken Rockingham and Strafford Counties while Senator Baker wins in Belknap county and Senator Case wins in Chesire County. Only 3 counties remain to be called and all three could decide the winner for tonight. Also, key to note, Senator Smith is now barely leading Senator Baker by Three and Senator Case by 5, thus making tonight quite close once more."

New Hampshire Republican Presidential Primary - 70% Reporting

Margaret Chase Smith - 33%
Howard Baker - 30%
Clifford P. Case - 28%
William Scranton: 6%
Ronald Reagan - 1%
George Romney - 1%

9:50 PM in the East

Cronkite: "It's 9:50 PM in the East and Senator Case has retaken the lead after trailing for most of the night. Merrimack and Hillsborough counties are coming in for him currently but it's close in Merrimack between him and Senator Smith. In Carroll County, Baker is leading Senator Smith by 8 points, so it's likely he can carry that county by a good margin. Case cvan win this, all he has to do now is just hold on."

New Hampshire Republican Presidential Primary - 75% Reporting

Clifford P. Case - 32%
Margaret Chase Smith - 30%
Howard Baker - 27%
William Scranton: 7%
Ronald Reagan - 2%
George Romney - 1%

10 PM in the East

Cronkite: "It's now 10 PM in the East and with 80% of the vote in, It's getting tighter and tighter between the three headlining Candidates while Governor Scranton has only a small bit of recognition. Senator Smith has surprisingly won in Carroll County after long battle against Senator Baker. Senator Case continues to lead in the two remaining counties but he could lose them to Smith or Baker."

New Hampshire Republican Presidential Primary - 80% Reporting

Clifford P. Case - 35%
Margaret Chase Smith - 33%
Howard Baker - 28%
Ronald Reagan - 1%
George Romney - 1%

10:10 PM EST

Cronkite: "It's 10:10 PM in the East and now there is 85% of the vote in and Case's lead is still there, but it continues to slip as Senator Smith is only a percentage point from taking the positioning from him. Only 15% of the vote is left to count and we're slowly counting down the remaining votes to call tonight."

New Hampshire Republican Presidential Primary - 85% Reporting

Clifford P. Case - 30%
Margaret Chase Smith - 29%
Howard Baker - 28%
William Scranton: 10%
Ronald Reagan - 1%
George Romney - 1%

10:20 PM EST

Cronkite: "With only 10% of the vote left at 10:20 PM in the East, Senator Case still has a lead, though now it's shrunk to a lead of only half a point. Only 10% left to be counted and all three leading Candidates are tight tonight. It's anyone's guess as to who wins."

New Hampshire Republican Presidential Primary - 90% Reporting

Clifford P. Case - 30.7%
Margaret Chase Smith - 30.3%
Howard Baker - 29%
William Scranton: 7%
Ronald Reagan - 1%
George Romney - 1%

10:30 PM EST

Cronkite: "It's 10:30 PM in the East and the margin is so thin you can cut it with a knife. Senator Baker has won in Merrimack County while Senator Case has won in Hillsborough county. Only outstanding vote is left to be counted with 5% left. Case is now leading by only .3% against Senator Smith and Senator Baker by .5%. Now, the only hope for the Case campaign is something changes and fast."

New Hampshire Republican Presidential Primary - 95% Reporting

Clifford P. Case - 30.6%
Margaret Chase Smith - 30.3%
Howard Baker - 30.1%
William Scranton: 6%
Ronald Reagan - 1%
George Romney - 1%

10:40 PM EST

Cronkite: "It's 10:40 PM in the East and only 3% of the vote needs to be counted. All Three Major  Candidates have entered into 31% territory and it's anyone's game. Senator Case leads with 31.5% to Senator Smith's 31.4% and Senator Baker's 31.1%. Such a close and exciting primary."

New Hampshire Republican Presidential Primary - 97% Reporting

Clifford P. Case - 31.5%
Margaret Chase Smith - 31.4%
Howard Baker - 31.1%
Ronald Reagan - 1%
George Romney - 1%

10:50 PM EST

Cronkite: "It's 10:50 PM in the East and we only need to count 1% of the vote that is left by Absentee ballots. Senator Smith has taken the lead with 31.6% to Senator Baker's 31.3% and Senator Case's 31.1%. Close, close, close and no matter who wins this, they will come out having proved that their campaigns are strong."

New Hampshire Republican Presidential Primary - 99% Reporting

Margaret Chase Smith - 31.6%
Howard Baker - 31.3%
Clifford P. Case - 31.1%
Ronald Reagan - 1%
George Romney - 1%

11 PM EST

Cronkite: "It's 11 PM in the East and with 100% of the vote in, we can project that Senator Smith will win the New Hampshire Republican Presidential Primary and all 8 Delegates with 31.4% of the vote to Senator Baker's 31.3% and Senator Baker with 31.2%. Governor Scranton is in a very distant fourth at 4.1%, Governor Reagan has 1% and Governor Romney has 1%. This was extremely close and and exciting opening to the election of 1968. We also have news from Maine and Vermont, Senator Smith has won the Caucuses in Maine, getting 10 of her Home State's delegates while Senator Case gets 3 and Senator Baker gets one. In Vermont, a surprise as Senator Baker wins the Caucuses and takes home 9 Delegates while Senator Case gets two and Senator Smith gets 1. So the Delegate count as of tonight is 19 Delegates and 2 states for Smith, 10 Delegates and 1 state for Baker, and 5 Delegates and no states for Case. Ladies and Gentlemen, thank you for watching tonight's coverage and we hope you tune in to watch the coverage of the Wisconsin Primary in April. Thank you and good night."

New Hampshire Republican Presidential Primary - 100% Reporting

Margaret Chase Smith - 31.4% (8 Delegates)
Howard Baker - 31.3%
Clifford P. Case - 31.2%
William Scranton: 4.1%
Ronald Reagan - 1%
George Romney - 1%

Senator Margaret Chase Smith wins New Hampshire Republican Presidential Primary and Maine Caucuses (gets 19 Delegates tonight)

Senator Howard Baker wins Vermont Caucuses (gets 10 Delegates tonight)

Presidential Primaries thus far, 1968

Republicans:

Senator Margaret Chase Smith of Maine - 19 Delegates
Senator Howard Baker of Tennessee - 10 Delegates
Senator Clifford P. Case of New Jersey - 5 Delegates
667 Delegates (a Majority) to be Nominated
1333 Delegates in Total

Democrats:

Senator Robert F. Kennedy of New York - 63 Delegates
Representative Patsy Mink of Hawaii - 5 Delegates
1304 Delegates (a Majority) to be Nominated
2607 Delegates in Total
terp40hitch
United States

« Reply #119 on: October 08, 2018, 04:16:19 PM »

Congressmen John Ashbrook Address Burlington, VT

Joe Biden 2024
Gorguf

« Reply #120 on: October 12, 2018, 06:13:37 PM »

Governor Scranton agrees to Senator Case's request for a debate.
Jaguar4life
United States

« Reply #121 on: October 12, 2018, 06:29:01 PM »

Goldwater campaign announcement

Senator Goldwater has agreed to a debate with Senator Case.
Mycool

Political Matrix

« Reply #122 on: October 13, 2018, 09:54:39 AM »

Margaret Chase Smith Victory Speech

“New Hampshire, and New England made history by supporting our bid for President. This campaign would not exist without supporters like you who are done with the extreme partisanship that has become emblematic of Washington politics. I believe America has a choice between candidates that believe Goldwater didn’t win because he wasn’t conservative enough, versus my view that America is ready for true, strong leadership. I’ve heard some rumblings about the need for another debate, and I absolutely agree that Americans need to hear more from the candidates, Senator Case, I agree we need a republican debate.”
terp40hitch
United States

« Reply #123 on: October 13, 2018, 04:55:22 PM »

Senator Howard Baker continues to empathize his debate anytime, anywhere belief when he accepts Senator Case’s debate offer
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #124 on: October 15, 2018, 03:16:08 AM »

Kennedy Victory Speech
[/u][/b]

Thank you to the people of New Hampshire for their overwhelming show of support, and I extend the same thanks to Maine and Vermont. We are going to ride this momentum all the way to Chicago!

Today, you sent a message to Washington that we are sick and tired of politics as usual. People in this country want action of civil rights, they want the rich to start paying their fair share of taxes, they want increased funding for education and universal healthcare and an end to the war in Vietnam. When we stand as one, there is nothing that we cannot accomplish!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 14  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies