The Great Brazil Topic (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 02:56:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  The Great Brazil Topic (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Great Brazil Topic  (Read 62736 times)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« on: March 26, 2015, 07:51:29 PM »

Sure, blame the evil Latin American right, because the Latin American left is obviously a permanent bastion of democracy, honesty and freedom.

When it comes to Latin America and authoritarism, it has very little to do with left or right wing.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 09:24:44 PM »

Sure, blame the evil Latin American right, because the Latin American left is obviously a permanent bastion of democracy, honesty and freedom.

When it comes to Latin America and authoritarianism, it has very little to do with left or right wing.
I don't agree with you, I believe that in Chile there's a clear difference between the left and the right in terms of authoritarianism and human rights.

Are you chilean? Cheesy

Indeed, it's fascinating to find a fellow countrymen here, xD

Speaking in the broad sense of Latin America the main argument seems to be that because the left formed the opposition to most of the military dictatorships of the 60's, 70's and 80's they seem to be the side of democracy and human rights, a flawed view when you consider situations like the one Paleobrazilian pointed out. And furthermore, all you need is to point out to authoritarianism in Venezuela and Cuba, the recent scandals in Brazil, Argentina and Chile to name a few and remember other people like Vargas, Ibaņez, Velasco Alvarado or some of the more infamous revolutionary movements to realize that the Latin American left of the 20th and 21st Century is far from the hero to the evil right.

Regarding Chile, I do concede to you that the aftermath of Pinochet's government did result in a right that was clearly more authoritarian that a good part of the left, which was evident during the 1990's. But twenty five years have passed since democracy returned to Chile, and leaving aside UDI and some of its more extreme elements most of the right has clearly embraced democracy, at least when it comes to RN, Amplitud and Evopoli. Furthermore, it's hard to take most of the left fully seriously when it comes to their human rights talking points when you don't see them too concerned about Venezuela or Cuba in the past. In a way it reminds me of when Honecker was embraced by many when he came here in 1993, because it showcases that double standard.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2015, 12:29:59 PM »

And I complain the current situation in Chile is a bad one... I'm actually shocked to see Dilma's goverment fell apart and reached this kind of situation so quickly.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 03:47:10 PM »

Good.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies