Alabama Megathread 2: Thou Shall Not Touch Teenage Girls
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 07:32:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Alabama Megathread 2: Thou Shall Not Touch Teenage Girls
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 75
Author Topic: Alabama Megathread 2: Thou Shall Not Touch Teenage Girls  (Read 143345 times)
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 11, 2017, 11:32:29 PM »
« edited: November 14, 2017, 12:21:19 AM by heatcharger »

Link to the first one.
Cactus Jack
azcactus
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 12:13:04 AM »

Two threads for Alabama alone. Newsworthy all on its own.

Anyway, Moore is f**ked. Discuss.
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 12:15:29 AM »

I can't believe an Alabama Senate race has gotten two threads.
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 12:16:42 AM »

If Roy Moore actually loses this race, facilitating the election of a liberal Democratic senator in Alabama of all places will be the greatest public service of his entire career.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 12:18:53 AM »

Why are so many people acting as if Jones has this in the bag? Everybody is thinking about their own decency and forgetting about Alabama's.

Anyway, I haven't seen much evidence of massive movement in aggregate polling where it counts, which is Jones' percentage of the vote. He was basically hovering between 42-44% prior to this; even if you include the garbage 1-day polls and polls from questionable pollsters (pretty much all we have), the past 7 or so polls put him at an average of 44%.

Moore's percentages have dropped; Jones have stayed the same. This is the classic recipe of a Southern election where supposedly-principled Republicans temporarily jump ship before flocking back by Election Day, along with all of the "independents" and "undecideds". If Jones isn't sitting at 50% in aggregate polling or ahead by 4-5 points consistently, he isn't going to win.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 12:26:51 AM »

Why are so many people acting as if Jones has this in the bag? Everybody is thinking about their own decency and forgetting about Alabama's.

Anyway, I haven't seen much evidence of massive movement in aggregate polling where it counts, which is Jones' percentage of the vote. He was basically hovering between 42-44% prior to this; even if you include the garbage 1-day polls and polls from questionable pollsters (pretty much all we have), the past 7 or so polls put him at an average of 44%.

Moore's percentages have dropped; Jones have stayed the same. This is the classic recipe of a Southern election where supposedly-principled Republicans temporarily jump ship before flocking back by Election Day, along with all of the "independents" and "undecideds". If Jones isn't sitting at 50% in aggregate polling or ahead by 4-5 points consistently, he isn't going to win.

A write-in candidate is the only thing that would reliably hand it to Jones.
Webnicz
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 12:27:08 AM »

What other republicans other than Flake( https://twitter.com/JeffFlake/status/930218697213571073 ) could we see give an actual endorsement for Jones?
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2017, 12:27:57 AM »

I don't think he has it in the bag as of right now, but I think most people are expecting this story to continue to unravel and that Moore will continue to misread the situation/defend his ego and gradually implode as he loses control of the narrative. It's likely still the early stages of the scandal and we haven't gotten any polling beyond the initial round right after the story first broke, so we don't know yet just how far the bottom can fall out for Moore.
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2017, 12:28:15 AM »

A write-in candidate is the only thing that would reliably hand it to Jones.
Agreed
Strange declaring as a write in candidate is the only way Jones has an above 50% chance of winning
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2017, 12:29:47 AM »

You just answered your own question. Tongue
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2017, 12:33:49 AM »

Moore is surging back up on PredictIt. Once the initial shock of new revelations wears off, everyone then remembers it's still Alabama.
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2017, 12:36:08 AM »
« Edited: November 14, 2017, 12:41:11 AM by Senator Scott🍂 »

Richard Shelby wants Moore to drop out and is advocating for a Luther Strange write-in campaign
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2017, 12:54:37 AM »

A Mo brooks one would be preferable...but we cannot be picky in this situation...
Arkansas Yankee
United States
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2017, 01:16:56 AM »
« Edited: November 14, 2017, 01:19:15 AM by Arkansas Yankee »

The Alabama Attorney General says the GOP could state Moore was no longer its candidate.  Then if Moore got more votes than Jones the election would be voided.   Interesting possibilities!

Seems to me they could decertify and go to court and using the New Jersey precedent to get another candidate on the ballot. Hell, it is worth a try.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2017, 01:24:26 AM »

Leave his ass on the ballot. It would have been bloody murder if Democrats called for moving the goal posts to get out of electing or losing with a problematic candidate. Either vote for the pedophile or don’t. Own it.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2017, 01:29:01 AM »

What other republicans other than Flake( https://twitter.com/JeffFlake/status/930218697213571073 ) could we see give an actual endorsement for Jones?

It blows my mind how someone who has shown integrity and is sober minded like Jeff Flake could have such vile heartless Randian views.
Arkansas Yankee
United States
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2017, 01:36:38 AM »
« Edited: November 14, 2017, 01:40:56 AM by Arkansas Yankee »

Leave his ass on the ballot. It would have been bloody murder if Democrats called for moving the goal posts to get out of electing or losing with a problematic candidate. Either vote for the pedophile or don’t. Own it.

The Democrats did it in New Jersey in 2002.  A crook was replaced after the withdrawal period had passed.  What is good for the goose is good for the gander.   It might not work out, but is worth a try from a Republican point of view
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2017, 01:41:11 AM »

Gonna reiterate that two wrongs don't make a right.

Someone of Arkansas Yankee's alleged aged should know that.
Attorney General & Senator Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2017, 01:53:48 AM »

Yeah, I now think this will be a LA-GOV 2015 redux. People (especially Republicans, but some "concerned" Democrats as well) will ignore the polls because "the state is just too red", but in the end the Democrat wins by a surprisingly wide margin. Jones +8-12 would be my guess for now, his support among White women is going to collapse bigly.

Quoting so you can't deny this later
Arkansas Yankee
United States
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2017, 01:57:26 AM »

So, the game is heads you win, tails I loose.  I think the Dems need some of their own medicine, as I know if given the chance they would do it again.

I also want to see Hillary beg for a pardon.  Johnson and Kennedy did things just like Nixon.  That is no excuse for Nixon.  But it justification for bringing the Clintons to heel.  If you can prove anything against Trump, go for it.  The same rules have to apply.

Also let Bill and Hillary reckon with Broderick.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2017, 01:57:35 AM »
« Edited: November 14, 2017, 01:59:06 AM by Shadows »

I posted this in the General Discussion thread. Posting it here. Terrible interview by Moore with Hannity, as close to a non-denial as it gets. Wouldn't be surprised if he cracks under pressure & admits the next time.

HANNITY: Debbie Wesson Gibson says she was 17 when you asked her out on several dates and it did not progress her words beyond kissing. Did that happen?

MOORE: I don't remember that. I do not remember when we...I seem to know or remember knowing her parents...that they were friends. I can't recall the specific dates because that's been 40 years but I remember her as a good girl. But neither of them have ever stated any inappropriate behavior. She didn't say anything. They said about me...

HANNITY: But do you remember ever going on a date with her? She said that you asked around out on the first of several dates but nothing progressed beyond kissing.

MOORE: I don't remember specific dates. I do not and I don't remember if it was that time or later. But I do not remember that.

HANNITY: But you know you never dated her ever? Is that what you're saying?

MOORE: No but I don't remember going out on dates. I knew her as a friend. If we did go on dates then we did. But I do not remember that.

HANNITY: Would it be unusual for you as a 32 year old guy to have dated a woman as young as 17? That would be a 15 year difference or a girl 18. Do you remember dating girls that young at that time?

MOORE: Not generally, no. If did, you know, I'm not going to dispute anything but I don't remember anything like that.

HANNITY: But you don't specifically remember having any girlfriend that was in her late teens even at that time?

MOORE: I don't remember that and I don't remember ever dating any girl without the permission of her mother. And I think in her statement she said that her mother actually encouraged her to go out with me.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2017/11/10/roy_moore_interviewed_by_hannity_generally_didnt_date_girls_in_late_teens_accusations_never_happened.html

Crooked Roy Moore !!!
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2017, 02:00:02 AM »

So, the game is heads you win, tails I loose.  I think the Dems need some of their own medicine, as I know if given the chance they would do it again.

It's not always that way. Republicans might have gerrymandered Congress to bits, but Democrats are pushing for fair redistricting policies in courts and state legislatures. That means even if they win huge majorities come 2018/2020, they wouldn't force heavily skewed maps to force a permanent, structural disadvantage for the Republicans.

Cactus Jack
azcactus
United States

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2017, 02:14:14 AM »

Yeah, I now think this will be a LA-GOV 2015 redux. People (especially Republicans, but some "concerned" Democrats as well) will ignore the polls because "the state is just too red", but in the end the Democrat wins by a surprisingly wide margin. Jones +8-12 would be my guess for now, his support among White women is going to collapse bigly.

Quoting so you can't deny this later

Wulf, I strongly advise against comparing your record of accurate predictions against Treasurer's.
EnglishPete

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2017, 02:31:01 AM »

I posted this in the General Discussion thread. Posting it here. Terrible interview by Moore with Hannity, as close to a non-denial as it gets. Wouldn't be surprised if he cracks under pressure & admits the next time.

HANNITY: Debbie Wesson Gibson says she was 17 when you asked her out on several dates and it did not progress her words beyond kissing. Did that happen?

MOORE: I don't remember that. I do not remember when we...I seem to know or remember knowing her parents...that they were friends. I can't recall the specific dates because that's been 40 years but I remember her as a good girl. But neither of them have ever stated any inappropriate behavior. She didn't say anything. They said about me...

HANNITY: But do you remember ever going on a date with her? She said that you asked around out on the first of several dates but nothing progressed beyond kissing.

MOORE: I don't remember specific dates. I do not and I don't remember if it was that time or later. But I do not remember that.

HANNITY: But you know you never dated her ever? Is that what you're saying?

MOORE: No but I don't remember going out on dates. I knew her as a friend. If we did go on dates then we did. But I do not remember that.

HANNITY: Would it be unusual for you as a 32 year old guy to have dated a woman as young as 17? That would be a 15 year difference or a girl 18. Do you remember dating girls that young at that time?

MOORE: Not generally, no. If did, you know, I'm not going to dispute anything but I don't remember anything like that.

HANNITY: But you don't specifically remember having any girlfriend that was in her late teens even at that time?

MOORE: I don't remember that and I don't remember ever dating any girl without the permission of her mother. And I think in her statement she said that her mother actually encouraged her to go out with me.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2017/11/10/roy_moore_interviewed_by_hannity_generally_didnt_date_girls_in_late_teens_accusations_never_happened.html

Crooked Roy Moore !!!

What is it he is not denying? This is a reference to the two accounts in the WaPo story of him courting young women who were legally of age for sex/marriage. Lets look at one of those accounts

"Debbie Wesson Gibson says that she was 17 in the spring of 1981 when Moore spoke to her Etowah High School civics class about serving as the assistant district attorney. She says that when he asked her out, she asked her mother what she would say if she wanted to date a 34-year-old man. Gibson says her mother asked her who the man was, and when Gibson said “Roy Moore,” her mother said, “I’d say you were the luckiest girl in the world.”

Among locals in Gadsden, a town of about 47,000 back then, Moore “had this godlike, almost deity status — he was a hometown boy made good,” Gibson says, “West Point and so forth.”

Gibson says that they dated for two to three months, and that he took her to his house, read her poetry and played his guitar. She says he kissed her once in his bedroom and once by the pool at a local country club."

That is not a description of a creepy older man who just wants young mistresses. That is the description of a polite and chaste Christian man in search of a wife. The fact that this behaviour described is so different from the 'Molested a 14 year old' account in WaPo and that both are completely different from yesterday's Oscar worthy Gloria Allred production makes this whole 'get Moore' narrative highly suspect.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2017, 02:34:21 AM »

Posted in General Discussion thread. Apparently Moore was very famous for his pedophilia. Moore is cooked. Surely, NBC or CNN or Fox can find a couple of local people, cops or workers in the mall to speak out against Moore on video -

Alabama Residents Say Roy Moore's Pursuit of Teenage Girls Was 'Common Knowledge'

“These stories have been going around this town for 30 years,” Blake Usry, who grew up in Gadsden and lives there currently, told Al.com. “Nobody could believe they hadn’t come out yet.” “Him liking and dating young girls was never a secret in Gadsden when we were all in high school,” Sheryl Porter told Al.com. “In our neighborhoods up by Noccalula Falls we heard it all the time. Even people at the courthouse know it was a well-known secret.” “He watched us girls quite openly,” added Victoria Beverstock, who said she was a 20-year-old waitress in 1992 working at a local restaurant Moore frequently dined at. “His eyes crawled over our shirts and our backsides. He was so open about it that I would try and handle his order as quickly as possible.”

http://time.com/5022752/roy-moore-gadsden-alabama/

Locals Were Troubled by Roy Moore’s Interactions with Teen Girls at the Gadsden Mall

I spoke or messaged with more than a dozen people—including a major political figure in the state—who told me that they had heard, over the years, that Moore had been banned from the mall because he repeatedly badgered teen-age girls. Sources tell me Moore was actually banned from the Gadsden Mall and the YMCA for his inappropriate behavior of soliciting sex from young girls,” the independent Alabama journalist Glynn Wilson wrote on his Web site on Sunday.

Greg Legat, who is now fifty-nine and living in East Gadsden, was, from 1981 to 1985, an employee at the Record Bar, a store that was in the Gadsden Mall. Legat says that he saw Moore there a few times, even though his understanding then was that he had already been banned. “It started around 1979, I think,” Legat said. “I know the ban was still in place when I got there.” Legat recalled a Gadsden police officer named J. D. Thomas, now retired, who worked security at the mall. “J. D. was a fixture there, when I was working at the store,” Legat said. “He really looked after the kids there. He was a good guy. J. D. told me, ‘If you see Roy, let me know. He’s banned from the mall.’ ” Legat recalled Thomas telling him, “If you see Moore here, tell me. I’ll take care of him.’ ”

Two officers I spoke to this weekend, both of whom asked to remain unnamed, told me that they have long heard stories about Moore and the mall. “The general knowledge at the time when I moved here was that this guy is a lawyer cruising the mall for high-school dates,” He also said, “I heard from one girl who had to tell the manager of a store at the mall to get Moore to leave her alone.”e added, “I actually voted for Moore. I liked him at one time. But I’m basically disgusted now"

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/locals-were-troubled-by-roy-moores-interactions-with-teen-girls-at-the-gadsden-mall
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 75  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies