Questions for conservatives (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 06:39:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  Questions for conservatives (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Questions for conservatives  (Read 3286 times)
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« on: January 28, 2012, 06:20:55 PM »

I am, emphatically, not a libertarian, but a free-market liberal (European usage of the word). I have nothing to say about what Ron Paul thinks - we, most definitely, are not on the same page on pretty much anything. We wouldn't even recognize each other's support of free markets, as we would fundamentally disagree on what IS a free market. I have no clue what makes sense to Ron Paul - he, sure, does not make any sense to me.

You can change religions, you can change political parties - no problem. I guess, you think religion is different from a party (as an atheist, I fail to see how, but ok). Fine.  Let it be the Republican party. So, once again, would a restaurant that only hires Republicans and only serves Republicans (and asks you to show a confirmation of a financial contribution to that party) be ok? You know, there are other restaurants in town - you can always go there. And if a restaurant is ok, why not a big plant or a school district? I am the boss of the major employer in town, I agree to give all my employees a 15% raise, as long as they spend half of that raise on contributions to Republican candidates, and I fire everyone who doesn't contribute. You know, you are a registered Republican, so you can vote in a primary and have an impact on who the candidates are. And, sure, you can go work for the Salvation Army if you don't like my factory. What's wrong about it?

This an excellent example. In IL for decades it was common practice with both parties in governmental offices for employees to have to pay to buy tickets to their bosses' party events or lose their job/promotion/etc. The law eventually forbid it, but the practice continued. It caught up to former Gov Ryan who raised money that way as SoS in the 90's. He is currently serving time in federal prison for exactly that crime.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies