Who would you say are the most well known presidential loser to never make it (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 02:08:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Who would you say are the most well known presidential loser to never make it (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Who would you say are the most well known presidential loser to never make it  (Read 4351 times)
WillK

« on: September 01, 2011, 11:16:53 AM »

How about John Quincy Adams. He didn't even receive the plurality of the electors.
He still won the presidency, so he doesnt fit the subject. 
WillK

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 11:21:26 AM »

to the White House?

I might have to go with Al Gore but Ross Perot, Bob Dole, John McCain, Barry Goldwater, George McGovern, Stevenson and Thomas E Dewey are up there. Henry Clay but I'm not convinced any pre 20 century candidate would come to mind in most people since most people tend to be ignorant about subjects such as history and politics.

I think Henry Clay is more well known to the average person than Stevenson or Dewey, and for younger people Goldwater and McGovern arent that well known.

I'd go with Dukakis, Kerry and Gore from recent years.  Burr and Clay from the past.
WillK

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 10:02:06 PM »

to the White House?

I might have to go with Al Gore but Ross Perot, Bob Dole, John McCain, Barry Goldwater, George McGovern, Stevenson and Thomas E Dewey are up there. Henry Clay but I'm not convinced any pre 20 century candidate would come to mind in most people since most people tend to be ignorant about subjects such as history and politics.

I think Henry Clay is more well known to the average person than Stevenson or Dewey, and for younger people Goldwater and McGovern arent that well known.

I'd go with Dukakis, Kerry and Gore from recent years.  Burr and Clay from the past.

AARON BURR! Sorry if I'm acting like Boss Tweed but I think the Burr-Hamliton feud was one of the greatest of all time. Why Kerry and Dukakis? Not to say they are unknown but not two of the most widely known presidential candidates of the past.

Kerry losing to Bush doesnt seem that long ago, so i figured it would still be remembered.
Dukakis... I don't know, maybe its just that i'm from Massachusetts.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies