Marine Le Pen will not allow French citizens to hold any additional citizenship (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 10:40:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Marine Le Pen will not allow French citizens to hold any additional citizenship (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Marine Le Pen will not allow French citizens to hold any additional citizenship  (Read 2788 times)
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« on: February 10, 2017, 09:43:20 AM »

http://www.haaretz.com/world-news/europe/1.770915

You must be logged in to read this quote.

So, no Americans, Canadians or Israelis allowed, but Russians are ok. Ah, the stench of authoritain fascism.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 12:00:27 PM »

Ag is obviously the more ridiculous one here (but that's expected whenever ag starts writing about Jewish identity), but it also has to be said...

Its 21st-century incarnation, however, is even more dangerous because it seeks to end all differences between nations, including those between the Jewish nation and other nations (not knowing this is impossible), and is thereby the direct cause of both antisemitism (for why do so many Jews oppose other nations' independence?) and the weakening of the Jewish people through assimilation.

My choice for the Jewish people's future: being a free people in our homeland. Supporting other people's sovereignty in their homelands too. Opposing global institutions threatening the uniqueness of different cultures. Opposing international political integration. Friendly relations between nations based on mutual interests and mutual respect, not treaties and supranational threats.

I don't think "breaking down borders" has to imply "erasing the differences between nations". The very first Persian Empire, which gave the Jews (and numerous other peoples) autonomy, nationhood, peace, and strength, did it by erasing barriers and allowing people to trade freely, while respecting differences in language and worship and such. Enmity in the Middle East is much higher today than it was then (unfortunately), so such a model doesn't particularly work nowadays, but I don't see why it shouldn't for Europe.

I agree. nationalism is a very negative force harming humanity, and different cultures and traditions are valuable and fascinating, attempting to combat globalism with force will only create backwards, poor nations bitterly holding on to their petty differences.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 12:34:51 PM »

I agree. nationalism is a very negative force harming humanity, and different cultures and traditions are valuable and fascinating, attempting to combat globalism with force will only create backwards, poor nations bitterly holding on to their petty differences.
Do you identify as a Zionist? If yes, why should Jews have the right to be a sovereign people in their own country but other peoples don't?

Will reply to Vosem's point later, am in a hurry.

I do identify as a Zionist, and I would love it if Israel joined an EU-like organization. Yes, it has many problems that need to be addressed and it needs to be reformed, but on a whole it's a very positive force which allows Europe to remain relevant. I don't think that it prevents people from being independent. France, Britain etc are perfectly independent.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 01:31:56 PM »

"weakening of the Jewish people through assimilation" is a bizarre statement. Very assimilated Jews in America who are basically indistinguishable culturally from non-Jews except they might not celebrate Christmas certainly have an easier time than mostly unassimilated minority groups.

Well, to be fair, while I dislike the whole notion that Jews must marry Jews, the American Jews are assimilating way too much. They're losing their cultural identity, and it's very bad for the Jewish people as a whole.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies