S.19.2-7: Construction of the world’s largest ground-based Telescope (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 08:37:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  S.19.2-7: Construction of the world’s largest ground-based Telescope (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: S.19.2-7: Construction of the world’s largest ground-based Telescope (Passed)  (Read 2292 times)
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2019, 05:06:47 AM »

This thing we have on the floor does not actually suggest wasteful spending since presumably any funding to make a new telescope would come from private sources.
It's not even a bill. It's simply a resolution.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2019, 05:08:23 AM »

That being said I have to agree the best sites for new telescopes aren't in the South, they are in Fremont.
Southern Delegate matthew27
matthew27
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -1.22

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2019, 05:54:26 AM »

That being said I have to agree the best sites for new telescopes aren't in the South, they are in Fremont.

But the south rules in other areas of space(launch faculties, industry, etcc.) and many citizens ask me about why fremont gets all the ground base telescopes. Just looking out for my voters. Wink
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2019, 06:00:50 AM »

But the south rules in other areas of space(launch faculties, industry, etcc.) and many citizens ask me about why fremont gets all the ground base telescopes. Just looking out for my voters. Wink

Fremont gets the all telescopes because only Fremont has the right terrain and climate.
Deep Dixieland Senator, Muad'dib (OSR MSR)
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2019, 10:57:21 PM »

Quote from: Southern Speaker Punxsutawney Phil
This thing we have on the floor does not actually suggest wasteful spending since presumably any funding to make a new telescope would come from private sources.
Quote from: AustralianSwingVoter
3 ELTs are already being built around the world. 1 funded by Europe in Chile, 2 funded by the US, one in Chile and one in Hawaii. Regardless of anything else there is no real justification for spending another 2 billion dollars on an ELT when 3 are already being built.
An additional ELT in West Texas would provide no benefit to the scientific community whatsoever. The images would be of far inferior quality to those from Hawaii and Chile, and would be totally redundant.

As nice as having the world's biggest telescope sounds. I think most jurisdictions would be "happy" to host it. It seems to have no competitive advantage over the other projects in the works. Perhaps radio telescopes might be more fitting?

I'm sure there are a few Bond villains willing to build some
matthew27
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2019, 03:45:34 PM »
« Edited: May 10, 2019, 03:51:24 PM by Southern Delegate matthew27 »

Quote from: Southern Speaker Punxsutawney Phil
Quote from: AustralianSwingVoter
3 ELTs are already being built around the world. 1 funded by Europe in Chile, 2 funded by the US, one in Chile and one in Hawaii. Regardless of anything else there is no real justification for spending another 2 billion dollars on an ELT when 3 are already being built.
An additional ELT in West Texas would provide no benefit to the scientific community whatsoever. The images would be of far inferior quality to those from Hawaii and Chile, and would be totally redundant.

As nice as having the world's biggest telescope sounds. I think most jurisdictions would be "happy" to host it. It seems to have no competitive advantage over the other projects in the works. Perhaps radio telescopes might be more fitting?

I'm sure there are a few Bond villains willing to build some

Thanks to AustralianSwingVoter giving us in the delegates a well needed science lesson I believe the idea of a radio telescope maybe of better use. Would that work?

I believe Atlasia needs a new generation radio telescope to compete with the new one in china.
matthew27
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2019, 07:37:09 PM »

Amended

Section 1: Title: Resolution encouraging the construction of the world’s largest ground-based radioTelescope.
1.   The government of the south believes that our region is an optimal region for the construction of an giant radio telescope competing with the thirty-meter telescope or the ELT.
1.2   The south is home of nasa and and most of our nations space infrastructure. The benefits of building the next super radio telescope here are large and taxes are very low adding an angle of economic benefits over regions like Fremont or Chile.
1.3    Not only are economic benefit an advantage for owners of the future telescope, but also to local economies throughout our great land with thousands of high paying construction and scientific jobs fueling economic growth.
1.4   The government of the south would like to extend an warm welcome to you and ask that you consider us.
Sponsor: Matthew27
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2019, 07:57:24 PM »

A new larger radio telescope could certainly be built alongside the current Green Bank Telescope. In addition that puts it within the National Radio Quiet Zone, which gets rid of a great deal of the interference problem, though it would certainly have to be expanded and tightened for the telescope to be effective.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2019, 11:04:02 PM »

I'd encourage the Chamber to vote down this as I generally despise virtue-signaling resolutions. Also this would be costly if actually built.

"Virtue signal" is obviously a painfully overused word, but I kinda agree with Wulfric here, actually, in that I don't see the need to make a bill saying this. Not necessarily a bad thing, and it's not even necessarily a bad idea with the amendment. That being said it does seem a bit useless and as much as I like large telescopes there's probably a bunch of better things we can "encourage rich people to do" if that's even a thing we should be doing (why not leave them alone or just tax them more and buy the stuff ourselves?).
matthew27
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2019, 11:53:21 PM »

I'd encourage the Chamber to vote down this as I generally despise virtue-signaling resolutions. Also this would be costly if actually built.

"Virtue signal" is obviously a painfully overused word, but I kinda agree with Wulfric here, actually, in that I don't see the need to make a bill saying this. Not necessarily a bad thing, and it's not even necessarily a bad idea with the amendment. That being said it does seem a bit useless and as much as I like large telescopes there's probably a bunch of better things we can "encourage rich people to do" if that's even a thing we should be doing (why not leave them alone or just tax them more and buy the stuff ourselves?).

If someone else would like to put teeth in this bill with real tax payer money and governmental action I'd fully support it, but after I attempted such in Fremont I won't make that move again myself.

Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2019, 11:03:39 PM »

Here is something that has some teeth but requires NASA, or private industry to do something.

Section 1: Title: Resolution encouraging the construction of the world’s largest radio Telescope.
1.   The government of the south believes that our region is an optimal region for the construction of an giant radio telescope.
1.2   The south is home of NASA and and most of our nations space infrastructure. The benefits of building the next super radio telescope here are large and taxes are very low adding an angle of economic benefits.
1.3    Not only are economic benefit an advantage for owners of the future telescope, but also to local economies throughout our great land with thousands of high paying construction and scientific jobs fueling economic growth.
1.4   The government of the south would extent $500 Million or 20% of the cost which ever is the lesser.
1.5   The Telescope should be known as the "Fred Wallace Haise Jr. Radio Telescope"
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2019, 07:22:31 PM »

That's an agreeable amendment.
matthew27
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2019, 02:10:57 PM »

I believe it is time to vote on this bill and give our south a great radio telescope.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2019, 02:28:30 PM »

No objection to a final vote.
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2019, 02:11:07 AM »

There being no objections, S.19.2-7 shall be put to a vote.
Sound the bells (delegates will be DM'd).

The text of the bill in question reads as follows:
Section 1: Title: Resolution encouraging the construction of the world’s largest radio Telescope.
1.   The government of the south believes that our region is an optimal region for the construction of an giant radio telescope.
1.2   The south is home of NASA and and most of our nations space infrastructure. The benefits of building the next super radio telescope here are large and taxes are very low adding an angle of economic benefits.
1.3    Not only are economic benefit an advantage for owners of the future telescope, but also to local economies throughout our great land with thousands of high paying construction and scientific jobs fueling economic growth.
1.4   The government of the south would extent $500 Million or 20% of the cost which ever is the lesser.
1.5   The Telescope should be known as the "Fred Wallace Haise Jr. Radio Telescope"

Voting options are:
[   ] Aye
[   ] Nay
[   ] Abstain
matthew27
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2019, 02:46:49 AM »

Aye
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2019, 03:37:36 AM »

Aye
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -5.57

« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2019, 10:05:02 AM »

Aye
reagente
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.10, S: 4.96

« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2019, 06:27:19 AM »

aye
UlmerFudd
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.17

« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2019, 05:31:25 PM »

aye
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2019, 03:37:34 AM »

Aye
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2019, 05:05:19 AM »

by an unanimous vote of 6 ayes, this bill passes.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies