OH: More Money Stuff (August)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 12:16:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  OH: More Money Stuff (August)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 54 ... 79
Author Topic: OH: More Money Stuff (August)  (Read 188110 times)
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1200 on: December 10, 2017, 01:28:40 PM »

Hearing credible rumors Nina Turner is going to jump in.

Oh man I would laugh so hard. Can you post a source?

No, just something at the ODP Holiday Party.

Hoping folks are wrong.

How did the people at the ODP Holiday Party feel about the possibility of Nina Turner running?

Nina Turner is only slightly more popular with the ODP than Bill O’Neill and for good reason.  She’s an egomaniacal phony who always makes vanity runs on a radical fringe platform.  Any influence she has today is largely just the ODP throwing a bone to the Sanders folks.  I should note that Turner nearly ended up agreeing to be Jill Stein’s runningmate in 2016.
Thats blatantly false she was asked and refused saying she is a democrat
http://www.cleveland.com/open/index.ssf/2016/08/nina_turner_turns_down_offer_t.html
I don't know why people want to slander Nina so badly if she jumps in I will support her

Thankfully, out-of-state know-nothings aren't deciding factors in primaries. And jbd isn't wrong. Turner did ultimately decline, but she was close to accepting and only stuck with the Democratic Party because she wants to seek future office at some point down the line. Whether or not that's Governor, who knows. She does still have some friends, but she burned a lot of bridges in 2016.

As to who would support her candidacy? Sanders supporters, obviously. Yes, Cordray has Warren's endorsement -- and Obama's may be coming* -- but he won't have Bernie's. In a split field of all white candidates, Turner could do very well in a primary, especially since it's likely the winner will draw less than 30% of the vote. All that said, the most common reaction at the holiday party was sheer skepticism.

* I'm doubtful of this since Obama didn't endorse Periello, even though those close to him did.
Former Kentuckian
Cal

« Reply #1201 on: December 10, 2017, 09:09:35 PM »

What does Nina Turner have to gain by running? She's prez of Our Revolution and, as far as I know, still has The Nina Turner Show (sounds fake, but I promise you it's real). She's also been involved with the DNC's Unity Commission. She has lots of things going on that are keeping her name and profile out there much better than a failed gubernatorial campaign would. She has been open with (as some of you have already mentioned) her disagreements/quarrels with the state party, so surely she knows it'd be tough to even get a campaign started, and with so much competition already and many of the progressive endorsements already gone? Why bother?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1202 on: December 10, 2017, 09:20:17 PM »

What does Nina Turner have to gain by running? She's prez of Our Revolution and, as far as I know, still has The Nina Turner Show (sounds fake, but I promise you it's real). She's also been involved with the DNC's Unity Commission. She has lots of things going on that are keeping her name and profile out there much better than a failed gubernatorial campaign would. She has been open with (as some of you have already mentioned) her disagreements/quarrels with the state party, so surely she knows it'd be tough to even get a campaign started, and with so much competition already and many of the progressive endorsements already gone? Why bother?

Egomania
mcmikk
thealmightypiplup

« Reply #1203 on: December 10, 2017, 09:25:51 PM »

Egomania
Usili
Rookie

« Reply #1204 on: December 11, 2017, 11:09:04 AM »

And Amy Murray is Renacci's running mate as Lieutenant Governor.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #1205 on: December 11, 2017, 12:17:24 PM »

Since 2/3rds of the Republican field have chosen their running mates, hopefully the Democrats will begin announcing their plans soon.

I saw Cordray at the Holiday Party this weekend, and someone asked if he would consider pulling a DeWine and bringing on any of the existing Democratic candidates. He responded that he had only been in the race a few days and hadn't even started looking yet.
Rjjr77
« Reply #1206 on: December 11, 2017, 06:09:43 PM »

Since 2/3rds of the Republican field have chosen their running mates, hopefully the Democrats will begin announcing their plans soon.

I saw Cordray at the Holiday Party this weekend, and someone asked if he would consider pulling a DeWine and bringing on any of the existing Democratic candidates. He responded that he had only been in the race a few days and hadn't even started looking yet.

he better start looking, Feb. 7th is the filing deadline and your LG has to be on your petitions. Have to have an LG before January 1.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1207 on: December 12, 2017, 06:26:10 AM »

I'm fairly certain Mandel will run against Brown again. He put out an ad with Urban Meyer this summer . . .

Just one more reason for me to hate the pukes from Columbus.

GO, MSU SPARTANS!!!
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #1208 on: December 12, 2017, 11:26:39 PM »
« Edited: December 12, 2017, 11:30:58 PM by BuckeyeNut »

In addition to Columbus City Councilman Michael Stinziano evidently running for County Auditor, Councilwoman Jaiza Page is running for County Court of Common Pleas. With Council Pres. Zack Klein now in the City Attorney's office and an unknown soon to be appointed, we are about to see a very fresh council down in the capital city.

EDIT: Also, Pillich is toting Ed Rendell's endorsement which ... who cares?
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #1209 on: December 13, 2017, 09:48:16 AM »

Joe Schiavoni the first Democrat on the air with a TV spot.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #1210 on: December 13, 2017, 07:36:30 PM »

Cordray just landed Doug Jones' Finance Director.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1211 on: December 15, 2017, 03:04:19 AM »

I actually think Nina would hold more sway as Our Revolution President. Next year, they could be a powerful force in Democratic primaries; we're already seeing Kamala Harris and Kirsten Gilibrand cosy up to some of Bernie's proposals and the backing of Our Revolution will be key in 2020 to help lock down the progressive vote.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #1212 on: December 15, 2017, 08:09:00 PM »

I would kill for some polling.
Rjjr77
« Reply #1213 on: December 18, 2017, 03:48:06 PM »

pollings gotta be redone with Husted out and Cordray in
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #1214 on: December 18, 2017, 06:54:39 PM »

pollings gotta be redone with Husted out and Cordray in

True. And I guess a holiday lull makes sense.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #1215 on: December 28, 2017, 04:47:51 PM »
« Edited: December 28, 2017, 07:05:50 PM by BuckeyeNut »

Just spent some time digging through winnable districts for Democrats next year, both for the House and Senate.

House

Tier 1: Romney-Clinton

HD - 6 (R+3.7 > D+2.2)* - Cuyahoga
HD - 16 (R+0.2 > D+5.7) - Cuyahoga
HD - 19 (R+2.6 > D+8.9)* - Franklin
HD - 21 (R+2.5 > D+13.5)* - Franklin
HD - 24 (R+1.9 > D+10.8) - Franklin
HD - 28 (R+3.4 > D+4.2) - Hamilton
HD - 37 (R+2.3 > D+0.6) - Summit

Tier 2: Obama- Trump & Swing to R<10

HD - 3 (D+4.8 > R+8.1) - Wood
HD - 27 (R+23.2 > R+6.3) - Hamilton
HD - 36 (D+4.1 > R+7.6) - Summit
HD - 43 (D+5.7 > R+6.9) - Preble + Montgomery
HD - 55 (D+9.6 > R+3) - Lorain
HD - 79 (D+2.1 > R+16.1) - Clark
HD - 89 (D+9.4 > R+13.3) - Ottawa + Erie
HD - 94 (D+8.3 > R+12) - Athens, Meigs, Vinton + Washington

MUST HOLD - Ds in Trump Seats

HD - 59 (D+4.1 > R+18.4) - Mahoning
HD - 60 (D+9.4 > R+8.1) - Lake
HD - 63 (D+23.1 > R+7.7) - Trumbull
HD - 64 (D+20.4 > R+7.4) - Trumbull + Ashtabula
HD - 75 (D+12.3 > R+4.8)* - Portage
HD - 96 (R+2.9 > R+36.5) - Jefferson, Belmont, + Monroe
HD - 99 (D+7.4 > R+21.2) - Ashtabula + Geauga

Senate

Tier 1: Romney-Clinton & Obama-Clinton

SD - 3 (D+10.6 > D+10.9)* - Franklin

Tier 2: Obama-Trump & Swing to R<10

SD - 5 (D+7.8 > R+5.5)* - Preble, Montgomery, Miami, + Darke
SD - 13 (D+11.9 > R+5.4)* - Lorain + Huron
SD - 19 (R+6.2 > R+3.2)* - Frankin, Delaware, Knox

* Denote a term-limited incumbent.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1216 on: December 28, 2017, 06:51:44 PM »

I'm not sure who I like better, Schiavoni or Cordray. I'd like to know more of Cordray's positions on issues unrelated to financial regulation/consumer protection before deciding.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #1217 on: December 29, 2017, 01:04:16 AM »

I'm not sure who I like better, Schiavoni or Cordray. I'd like to know more of Cordray's positions on issues unrelated to financial regulation/consumer protection before deciding.

I think we're very likely to see a Periello v Northam dynamic emerge in Ohio, where Cordray represents the choice of Washington outsiders and Schiavoni (among others) represents the choice of Ohioans. Unfortunately, a split field probably means Cordray makes it through, despite being low energy and washed up.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1218 on: December 29, 2017, 09:20:27 AM »

I think we're very likely to see a Periello v Northam dynamic emerge in Ohio, where Cordray represents the choice of Washington outsiders and Schiavoni (among others) represents the choice of Ohioans. Unfortunately, a split field probably means Cordray makes it through, despite being low energy and washed up.

Cordray's low-energy, but I don't think he's a washed up has-been by any means (and I say that as a Schiavoni supporter).
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #1219 on: December 29, 2017, 06:21:40 PM »

Cordray's low-energy, but I don't think he's a washed up has-been by any means (and I say that as a Schiavoni supporter).

I don't think he's a has-been, but I'll stand by washed-up. Lots of older folks in the party are going head over heels for him, but I've met literally one person under the age of 30 excited for Cordray, and he was a political operative for Zack Scott.
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1220 on: December 29, 2017, 06:48:17 PM »

Comparing the Schiavoni and Cordray ads and wow there's a huge difference between the candidates. Going through the other candidates and I think Cordray by far is the most low energy candidate, I'm sure he's great on policy but little to no charisma.
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1221 on: December 29, 2017, 07:31:00 PM »

I don't think he's a has-been, but I'll stand by washed-up. Lots of older folks in the party are going head over heels for him, but I've met literally one person under the age of 30 excited for Cordray, and he was a political operative for Zack Scott.
Zack Scott, the YouTuber?
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #1222 on: December 29, 2017, 07:32:15 PM »

Been a long time since I've worked in Ohio so I'm sure the political dynamics have shifted. Anybody know what the strongest Dem ticket would be? Assuming DeWine/Husted is the foregone conclusion on the GOP side.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #1223 on: December 29, 2017, 10:02:58 PM »

Zack Scott, the YouTuber?

Zack Scott, the reviled former Franklin County Sheriff with ties to Melissa Barnhart, an even more reviled player in Democratic politics who used to be a major fundraiser for Cordray. (And whom Cordray hasn't yet disavowed, to the chagrin of many Central Ohio political players.)

Been a long time since I've worked in Ohio so I'm sure the political dynamics have shifted. Anybody know what the strongest Dem ticket would be? Assuming DeWine/Husted is the foregone conclusion on the GOP side.

I'm biased, but Schiavoni is everything Mike DeWine isn't -- ignoring the fact they're both short, Italian, men without much hair -- and he provides a good point of contrast. He might pair well with Pillich, TBH. She is well known, been a competent fundraiser, and balances the ticket in both gender and geography. Whaley wouldn't be bad for similar reasons, though she is less well known.

Unfortunately, I hear Schiavoni's looking at a non-politician from Cleveland to be his running mate. We'll see how that rumor plays out. Even if it's false, a team up seems very unlikely.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #1224 on: January 02, 2018, 10:49:08 AM »
« Edited: January 02, 2018, 11:30:54 AM by BuckeyeNut »

Joe Schoavoni just became the first Democratic candidate for governor to announce his running mate: State Board of Education member Stephanie Dodd. Like Schiavoni, Dodd is under 40. She has a background in fujndraising, and represents a pretty conservative district (see Disrtrict 9 below) in which she ran for re-election unopposed last year, becoming the first State Board of Education member to do so in 24 years.

Turns out the rumor I was hearing about Joe choosing a non-elected from Cleveland was very wrong. I am loving this pick.
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 54 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies