The problem with the Democrats
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 25, 2024, 10:43:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  The problem with the Democrats
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The problem with the Democrats  (Read 1204 times)
MR DARK BRANDON
Liam
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -0.65, S: -1.57

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 23, 2018, 09:19:16 AM »
« edited: August 23, 2018, 09:31:32 AM by Classic Republican »

The Problem with the Democrats right now is that they are advertising all of these “new” Democrats (Harris, Baldwin, Duckworth, Gillibrand, Brown ETC.) that no one knows about and are not that good campaigners yes, they may be popular in there own state but they are Really not known beyond that and all they do is Anti Trump, Anti Trump, Anti Trump. If DEMS want to take back the White House in 2020 they need to get someone who is known out there. (Warren, Sanders, Biden ETC.) this is just my opinion, feel free to discuss below.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 09:26:21 AM »

LOL, what kind of a narrative is this? Almost nobody knew Obama up to '08, nobody outside AR knew Clinton up to '91 or Carter before '76. Come on.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 09:29:22 AM »

It's not an either or, it's a yes please, give me both. Like Winnie the Pooh. Why restrict yourself when you don't have to?
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 09:30:55 AM »

Alright, son, you're just gonna wanna take that capital letter from "problem" and toss it over to "Democrats."
MR DARK BRANDON
Liam
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2018, 09:32:52 AM »

LOL, what kind of a narrative is this? Almost nobody knew Obama up to '08, nobody outside AR knew Clinton up to '91 or Carter before '76. Come on.
Those Dem’s were Great campaigners, the ones they are trying to sell us just Attack Trump instead of offering solutions.
MR DARK BRANDON
Liam
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2018, 09:34:28 AM »

In late 2006 Obama was polling second to Hillary.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2018, 09:45:03 AM »

Those Dem’s were Great campaigners, the ones they are trying to sell us just Attack Trump instead of offering solutions.

So, Kamala Harris isn't? She is charismatic and well-spoken, even if you don't like her views.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2018, 09:48:39 AM »

Why is being known right now relevant in terms of electability in the GE?  Name recognition matters in the *primary*, because you have to become known in order to win (though currently unknown candidates have plenty of time to boost their name recognition).  But it's a non-issue in the general election, since the very act of winning the nomination of one of the two major parties is going to give you 100% name recognition among voters.
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2018, 10:45:58 AM »

These Dems do have solutions and views you just shut them out and don't bother ever looking up their views then blame them because you are purposefully shutting yourself out. Also, you posted somewhere that Dems would lose NJ in a Kamala vs Trump race. So... yeah.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2018, 10:56:26 AM »

The Problem with the Democrats right now is that they are advertising all of these “new” Democrats (Harris, Baldwin, Duckworth, Gillibrand, Brown ETC.) that no one knows about and are not that good campaigners yes, they may be popular in there own state but they are Really not known beyond that and all they do is Anti Trump, Anti Trump, Anti Trump. If DEMS want to take back the White House in 2020 they need to get someone who is known out there. (Warren, Sanders, Biden ETC.) this is just my opinion, feel free to discuss below.

Dems will have a national message, once Dems get control of Congress. It will be Biden, Booker and Sanders as the National message. Booker will tie Biden clearance of Clarence Thomas, as Judiciary chairman in 1992 around the kneck of Joe Biden and Bernie can take some WWC from Joe Biden as well.

GOP in 2018 will make some gains in the NE Gubernatorial elections, however, industrial states like IL, MI, and CA will vote Democratic to keep the 279 friewal in place. Booker needs Bernie to take votes away from Biden.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2018, 11:02:41 AM »
« Edited: August 23, 2018, 02:02:51 PM by Virginiá »

The problem with bronz is he is antagonizing the wrong people-- middle class Atlas users who are still the majority of the Atlas.

Trivializing Mollie Tibbets is not a good campaign strategy....

Talking about abolishing ICE is not a good strategy....

It's not 2045 yet.....white middle class taxpayers are still in control and the Democrats do not understand that yet....period...regardless of Trump's behavior/corruption

Talk about jobs, health care, fixing race relations, standing up to Russia, etc.

[deleted]

*** mod note: changed to reflect actual purpose of post
Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2018, 02:57:08 PM »

Whoever becomes the nominee becomes known virtually automatically by virtue of becoming the nominee, so this is not a problem (sane).
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2018, 03:51:07 PM »

I mean this is just not objectionably true.

Gilibrand proposed a new bill allowing post offices to start doing community banking.

Booker has been fighting for sentencing/Judicial reform since he entered the Senate in 2013.

Harris was one of the strongest (and imo most influential) Democratic Senator in pushing for the shutdown over the Dreamers.

This sort of stuff just gets lost in the Trump Tweets, and daily drama of Washington. 

Besides I have no idea what you actually mean by 'the Democrats are advertising them'. The Democrats are fighting like hell for the mid-terms; after that the long primary starts, and we can see how these people perform on the stump, in debates and in long campaigns.

The Primary Election really is the best indicator to how you'll do in a General; Obama, Carter, G.W Bush and Clinton all showed that the best campaigners, with the best campaign generally win. We're going to have a primary where the old faces (Biden/Sanders/Warren) face the newer ones (Murphy/Harris/Booker). The 'Democrats' should stop acting like pundits, and just pick whoever they like the most.
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2018, 03:58:39 PM »

I mean, it's not like the current GOP President started his political career solely around criticizing his predecessor or anything.
#gravelgang #lessiglad
Serious_Username
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2018, 05:07:48 PM »

The problem with bronz is he is antagonizing the wrong people-- middle class Atlas users who are still the majority of the Atlas.

Trivializing Mollie Tibbets is not a good campaign strategy....

Talking about abolishing ICE is not a good strategy....

It's not 2045 yet.....white middle class taxpayers are still in control and the Democrats do not understand that yet....period...regardless of Trump's behavior/corruption

Talk about jobs, health care, fixing race relations, standing up to Russia, etc.

[deleted]

*** mod note: changed to reflect actual purpose of post

Oh my gosh this is such a great idea! I need to do a Bronz ad libs thread at some point. First one is below.

The problem with _______ is that [he/she] alienates ________ due to _____ and Democrats care way too much about everyone who isn't white. And what if ___[Democrat]____ did _______ like ____[Republican]___? Democrats would just ignore it and go on blaming white taxpayers.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2018, 06:29:04 PM »

Name recognition will not matter once all of the candidates declare and have over a year of media exposure in a nearly year long primary.
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2018, 06:35:53 PM »
« Edited: August 23, 2018, 06:45:29 PM by mathstatman »

These Dems do have solutions and views you just shut them out and don't bother ever looking up their views then blame them because you are purposefully shutting yourself out. Also, you posted somewhere that Dems would lose NJ in a Kamala vs Trump race. So... yeah.
^^^ This.

I came of age in a particularly hard time for Democrats: In 1979, Jimmy Carter was President, gas lines stretched around the block, "stagflation" (high inflation combined with sluggish economic growth) was the order of the day, and then... the Iran Hostage Crisis hit.

It is no wonder that my generation (particularly the males) (raised in lily-white suburbs) became the most Republican generation possibly in the last 90 years: according to some polls, white males under 30 voted 72-27 for Reagan in 1984.

It took me a while even to warm up to the Democrats' message. It is not perfect by any means, but... compared to what we have now ("I love the poorly educated", "I could shoot someone", etc.) it seems like a breath of fresh air.

While I am still undecided about a few races, I plan to cast a mostly Democratic ballot this fall.

The GOP won't win NJ. It's not 1988 anymore.

I get that you (Classic Republican) are young, and have a lot to learn. I wish you all the best in doing so. Clearly politics interests you, or else you wouldn't be on this site. As a teacher, I would encourage you to read history. Read about the 1948 Presidential race ("He should be shot at sunrise" said Thomas Dewey of a train engineer, shortly after the US had won a war against those who shot people at sunrise). Read about Bush's 1988 campaign, run by Lee Atwater, and ask yourself if that campaign is something you would be proud of.

Then make up your own mind, of course. But be informed.
Nyssus
Misteeer
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2018, 10:42:59 PM »

pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2018, 09:22:39 AM »

The problem with the Democrats is their 'quarterback controversy'. The problem with the Republicans is that they have sacrificed morality for their own class privilege and mass ignorance.

Both Democrats and Republicans know what they stand for, and America well knows the difference. Donald Trump may be the most muddled President in American history, but he makes such clear through the policies that he supports, as do front groups of the Republican Party. If one believes that economic gain merits miserable lives for most people then you are a Republican. This includes not only exploitative heels, but people afraid that taxes and regulations will take food off their tables. If one believes that government has a responsibility to serve people that Big Business cannot fully satisfy, then you are a Democrat.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies