Trump to declare national emergency
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 08:38:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump to declare national emergency
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8
Author Topic: Trump to declare national emergency  (Read 8210 times)
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: February 15, 2019, 05:34:11 PM »

No, too easy to escape like El Chapo did from a Mexican prison.

Send Trump to the ultra-max in Colorado instead. The added benefit is that Calthrina can visit him more easily and remind him that the Dems are just as bad as he is.

Your attempt at humor falls flat on its face.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #151 on: February 15, 2019, 05:41:57 PM »

Send Trump to the ultra-max in Colorado instead. The added benefit is that Calthrina can visit him more easily and remind him that the Dems are just as bad as he is.

No it doesnt.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #152 on: February 15, 2019, 05:47:44 PM »

No it doesnt.

It falls flat on its face because it is meant to mock me, more than anything else. And it represents a distortion of my beliefs. But I've come to acknowledge that I am now the punching bag of the Atlas community.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #153 on: February 15, 2019, 05:51:24 PM »

No it doesnt.

Spectator's comment had me LOL.  I posted it in the hilarity thread.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #154 on: February 15, 2019, 06:01:26 PM »

Just a reminder that $3.6 billion of the funds will be taken from housing upgrades for military families living in squalid conditions. #MAGA!
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #155 on: February 15, 2019, 08:58:30 PM »

No it doesnt.

It falls flat on its face because it is meant to mock me, more than anything else. And it represents a distortion of my beliefs. But I've come to acknowledge that I am now the punching bag of the Atlas community.

You’re not the punching bag. You’re just the biggest self-parody most of us have ever encountered.
James Monroe

« Reply #156 on: February 15, 2019, 09:15:30 PM »

Just grant the immigrants with citizenship and gets this issue out of the way.

If only a more humane and reasonable president were in office that would be the solution.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #157 on: February 15, 2019, 09:26:54 PM »

No it doesnt.

You’re not the punching bag. You’re just the biggest self-parody most of us have ever encountered.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.91

« Reply #158 on: February 16, 2019, 12:15:05 AM »

I think a lot of people don't realize the precedent this could set ...
And for McTurtle to go along with it. You would have thought that McConnell could see the "bigger picture" (and future consequences) in this charade from the Orange Clown.
McConnell is a robot programmed to maximize Republican political gains and lib-owning. His "bigger picture" is a Japan/Hungary-style single-party-dominant pseudo-democracy.
JGibson
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -6.50

« Reply #159 on: February 16, 2019, 03:27:19 AM »

He's doing an anti-American end-around to enact a phony "national emergency" all because he didn't get his way on the wall funding via Congressional means.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #160 on: February 16, 2019, 03:45:55 AM »

Person A: give me money so I can build a small golden statue of myself, please.
Person B: no.
Person A: *breaks into person B's home to steal the money for the project*

This is America, folks.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #161 on: February 16, 2019, 03:53:29 AM »

Person A: give me money so I can build a small large golden statue of myself, please.
Person B: no.
Person A: *breaks into person B's home to steal the money for the project to pay for one leg of the statue*

This is America, folks.

FTFY
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #162 on: February 16, 2019, 04:31:01 AM »

I'll be looking forward to president Kamala Harris declaring the following national emergencies:

- A national health care emergency to institute single payer health care effective immediately.

- A national deficit emergency to institute a more progressive tax code.

- A national education emergency to made college tuition free.

- A national gun crime emergency to outlaw guns.

- A national crazy party emergency to outlaw the republican party.

You continue the list. If republicans don't stop Trump they brought this on themselves. When a president can declare national emergencies where none exists to bring about whatever he/she wishes, that is not a democracy, that is a dictatorship.
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #163 on: February 16, 2019, 04:48:13 AM »

The fact that Congress won't hold him accountable here is what disgusts me. This patently isn't an emergency. This is gross misuse of the office of president. It's time to impeach. Well. It was already time long ago because emoluments but now we've also got attempting to subvert the Constitution.

But no, Democrats as well as Republicans are going to continue acting like this is okay as long as there's no proof of a criminal offense. Impeachment isn't a punishment; it's an investigation. It's not a part of the justice system; it is unique. Stop acting like it's okay for Trump to be a mini dictator as long as he doesn't break criminal law. That's the opposite of the spirit of the Constitution.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #164 on: February 16, 2019, 04:54:00 AM »

When Paul von Hindenburg started to rule by presidential emergency decree in 1930, circumventing and ignoring the legislature's authority, it was considered the beginning of the end phase of the Weimar Republic.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #165 on: February 16, 2019, 05:39:39 AM »

I don't think this sets any relevant precedent. That assumes debate Republicans have any principles. They'll just block future emergencies from Democratic presidents.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #166 on: February 16, 2019, 06:00:50 AM »

I don't think this sets any relevant precedent. That assumes debate Republicans have any principles. They'll just block future emergencies from Democratic presidents.
They would have to get a veto-proof majority though.

I'm not for instituting authoritarian rule, but we can't continue to let the republicans break all of the rules why we continue to be the good guys.

If the republicans are intent on destroying democracy as we know it, then the next democratic president should certainly use national emergencies to ram through single payer health care and the like.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #167 on: February 16, 2019, 10:14:40 AM »

I'll be looking forward to president Kamala Harris declaring the following national emergencies:

- A national health care emergency to institute single payer health care effective immediately.

You continue the list. If republicans don't stop Trump they brought this on themselves. When a president can declare national emergencies where none exists to bring about whatever he/she wishes, that is not a democracy, that is a dictatorship.

No! The answer to dictatorship is not "dictatorship that I like". The core problem here is that the Republicans are no longer interested in being legitimate participants in a democracy. (They are only interested in using the mechanisms of democracy as tools to advance their own interests with no care for the overall health of the nation. Like a cancer, they are quite capable of killing their own host.)

This is a very hard problem, because they are a large segment of our society. We can neither leave them, nor disenfranchise them. The only course I can see is to try and keep things together as much as possible, while educating younger generations in rationality, civilization, and critical thinking, and hoping we can keep our civilization from collapsing or turning completely cancerous until enough bad-faith Republicans (who skew old) have died to the point where democracy can function properly.

A functioning democracy requires a commitment to democracy as an ideal, a process, a goal. The GOP has abandoned that,  but if the rest of us also abandon it too, that just makes the problem worse.l
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #168 on: February 16, 2019, 01:11:12 PM »

The fact that Congress won't hold him accountable here is what disgusts me. This patently isn't an emergency. This is gross misuse of the office of president. It's time to impeach. Well. It was already time long ago because emoluments but now we've also got attempting to subvert the Constitution.

But no, Democrats as well as Republicans are going to continue acting like this is okay as long as there's no proof of a criminal offense. Impeachment isn't a punishment; it's an investigation. It's not a part of the justice system; it is unique. Stop acting like it's okay for Trump to be a mini dictator as long as he doesn't break criminal law. That's the opposite of the spirit of the Constitution.

The President can be impeached for 'high crimes and misdemeanors' 'Crimes' obviously include overt violations of felony statutes, as for murder, rape, embezzlement, money laundering, drug trafficking, tax fraud, perjury, and obstruction of justice.

It is the 'misdemeanors' that can also take down a President. For good reason the President does not drive a motor vehicle because practically any minor violation of traffic laws constitutes a misdemeanor.

The Constitution delineates the roles of the President, Vice-president, Congress, and the federal courts. We have checks and balances to keep one branch of Government to not misbehave. The Constitution is full of constraints upon the President to prevent the President from acting as a despot.

Congress controls the budget. The President does not get to impose taxes or exempt people from them -- and does not have the right to apportion money contrary to the instructions of Congress. The President cannot dispose of federal property solely to get funds for expenditures not authorized by Congressional acts.

A President acting as a dictator or despot is a Constitutional crisis in its own right. There are no emergency powers of the federal Government except in a declaration of war or its effective declaration.  -- or, as in response to riots, wildfires, floods, tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes, or volcanic eruptions, and then at the request typically of state and local government and for limited purpose.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #169 on: February 16, 2019, 03:19:40 PM »

Sorry if it's already been posted, but I liked it and I'm not about to read 8 pages of the usual just to be sure.

Who knew that making America great again involved turning it over to Mexico?
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #170 on: February 16, 2019, 03:32:44 PM »

No! The answer to dictatorship is not "dictatorship that I like". The core problem here is that the Republicans are no longer interested in being legitimate participants in a democracy. (They are only interested in using the mechanisms of democracy as tools to advance their own interests with no care for the overall health of the nation. Like a cancer, they are quite capable of killing their own host.)

This is a very hard problem, because they are a large segment of our society. We can neither leave them, nor disenfranchise them. The only course I can see is to try and keep things together as much as possible, while educating younger generations in rationality, civilization, and critical thinking, and hoping we can keep our civilization from collapsing or turning completely cancerous until enough bad-faith Republicans (who skew old) have died to the point where democracy can function properly.

A functioning democracy requires a commitment to democracy as an ideal, a process, a goal. The GOP has abandoned that,  but if the rest of us also abandon it too, that just makes the problem worse.l
How can we ensure that this won’t happen again with a rigged system plagued by gerrymandering, voter disenfranchisement, and a fascist-loving media? How will this system work when right now, our census is hijacked by the same administration, essentially giving them a lifeline for at least on the representative level.

The reason Germany became a democracy was not due to caring about free speech nor human rights, but because of the real threat that either Communists or Fascists will upend the current elite. Aided by the world power, Germany built itself up from being an exploitable rump state.

Over here, we have none of that. We have no strong pressure groups threatening the elite to change the system, nor do we allow international law to be a care in our foreign policy. What’s worse is that we are on top, and have no actual repercussions for our politidiking on our borders or outside. So how do we fix our Democracy? By a combination of direct action, pragmatic assaults on these reactionary forces, and fixing our archaic system outside of the established channels. The status quo benefits only the forces that want to kill you, so what then is the problem with eliminating the structures trying to turn over the boat now? We’ve already seen that the Trumpists will do anything to get their way, so we need to hit harder just to survive.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #171 on: February 16, 2019, 05:52:55 PM »

Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #172 on: February 16, 2019, 05:59:41 PM »

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #173 on: February 21, 2019, 02:35:44 PM »

Honestly, Trump played this perfectly. No shutdown and he can still claim victory on the wall. Between this and the state of the union he'll almost certainly hit 50% approval in the next week or two.

NOPE
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #174 on: February 21, 2019, 08:58:33 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8  
« previous next »