The Imperial Dominion of the South's Legislature (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 07:45:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Imperial Dominion of the South's Legislature (search mode)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8
Author Topic: The Imperial Dominion of the South's Legislature  (Read 301531 times)
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2012, 10:15:18 PM »

Who the f**k vacations in g*ddamn Oklahoma?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2012, 10:23:03 PM »

Who the f**k vacations in g*ddamn Oklahoma?

Think about all that nothing you'll see! Nothing on the horizon, nothing around you - no buildings, trees or civilization of any kind. Just the thought of it puts me into a state of uber-relaxation.

It puts me in a state of panic. I'd probably go insane if I was out in the Oklahoman plains.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2012, 10:35:17 PM »

Oh my gosh...I forgot about Montana!!!

There's also Southern Illinois, which is pretty Southern.

Another valid point! Your check will be in the mail with the amount I promised.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2012, 04:36:46 PM »

My concern about the constitutionality of granting people in those states two votes remains. Why is it fair for them to vote in two regions while the rest of us can only vote in 1? What if I want to vote in the Northeast elections because a lot of people in Charleston are from the North and many people don't consider us "southern" anymore?

And carpetbaggers can suck off our southern tit for 4 months to get what they want. Don't put it past them.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2012, 04:43:41 PM »

My concern about the constitutionality of granting people in those states two votes remains. Why is it fair for them to vote in two regions while the rest of us can only vote in 1? What if I want to vote in the Northeast elections because a lot of people in Charleston are from the North and many people don't consider us "southern" anymore?
My amendment seeks to solve this problem by giving people in the states in question a choice on whether or not they want to participate in Mideastern or Southern elections.

That might cool my jets for now, but I still don't like the whole idea of this bill. If the people in the states mentioned feel oppressed in the Mideast and would rather be in this region, and who can blame them for wanting to join this wonderful group, they should annex themselves and declare their allegiance to God, Senator Duke, and the southern land.

A few years ago, the rogue regime who followed mine up and renamed us from the Dirty South to the Imperial Dominion. It's high time we started acting like imperialists and begin claiming land that is rightfully ours!
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2012, 04:53:21 PM »

But we are basing the whole point of this bill off American history. The states in question are considered to be part of the south in American history, but never in Atlasian history has Kentucky, Virginia and the like been part of the south. If we are looking at this squarely through an Atlasian lens, then it makes no sense and there is no argument to support it. It isn't like its hard to move to the South if they want to vote in our elections so badly.

Now, if Rep JBrase wants to embrace my idea of becoming true imperialists with the goal of growing the Southland, I am all for it. So far, it just seems like pseudo imperialism, giving some citizens a choice to vote for us or the mideast. I just can't make any sense of it in my mind.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2012, 11:46:00 PM »

Once again, The People claim victory. Three cheers for Us!
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2012, 06:38:29 PM »

I see no reason to cause a controversy over this.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #58 on: June 30, 2012, 09:18:24 PM »

AYe
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #59 on: July 01, 2012, 03:56:58 PM »

Nay. I was never a big Warcraft player.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #60 on: July 04, 2012, 04:59:45 PM »

I oppose any attempts to force legislatures to list links/banners in their signatures or change their usernames. Any legislature is free to do as they wish, but it isn't the government's job to mandate it. I've always changed my name to my corresponding office and I might change my current name to my office, but no law should be passed requiring me to do so.

And I promise to break any law passed that requires me to put banners/links in my signature, so we may as well amend to establish a fine of sorts for those refusing to follow rules.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #61 on: July 05, 2012, 11:55:58 PM »

Nay
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #62 on: July 06, 2012, 10:54:14 PM »

Maybe it's just me, but I love simplicity and consistency. Why do we need to change the flag all the time? And why do we need some sissy motto? If we are going to be imperialists, we need to embrace it like I said before. I think our governor should be our king and states should be governorships or something of that nature. Kingdom means that states are independent entities. Instead, we need to be a united kingdom of the south. We can't be having mississippi trying to leave us etc..

And we need a good imperial flag. A simple one that gets the point across. The current era of IDS is too into tacky, loud symbols. We need art. We need something tasteful. When South Carolina left the union in 1861, we had a flag with a crescent moon with the words "liberty." All these current shields and the like harken back to a day and age of the kings and knights in England.

What does the IDS want to be? Ruthless imperialists or freedom lovers? I don't care but I feel like our focus is all over the place. We need to decide what he want and move forward with that goal in mind as a united force. One day we talk about voters rights and the next we pass a law about forcing public officials to change their name and have a mandatory signature. Seems odd and inconsistent.

I say we first vote on a bill that asks two things: do we want to be imperialists or essentially classic liberals. Whichever wins is what we move forward with. Right now it feels like we are blindly throwing darts at a board. We need an identity!
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #63 on: July 10, 2012, 09:23:20 PM »

Duke, to address part of that you said about the kingdoms part, I put it like that becuase of the very thing you complain about. Why do something half ass? We made the region an Empire, and the governor and elected Emperor, so why should the states remain just states? If we are to take it further then the logical thing to do would be to have the the states become kingdoms, all under one glorious southern Imperial Dominion.

As for the flag, I see your point and am open to suggestions for an alternative if you would like to put any forward.

Also I reject the notion you put forward that we cannot be Imperial and freedom lovers. We are the IDS becuase we love our freedom. Any region could have a governor, or just chose to accept the norm or taking a direction for a name, but we fight back by not falling into conformity. The day we just accept that we are the same as the other regions and start acting like them, like how they expect us to, is the day we truly lose our freedom.

I cannot see how you are complaining about inconsistency when this bill is just making the region more consistent with the changes made earlier. 

The word Kingdom has never been one that has brought forth thoughts of intellectual, religious and political freedoms. I suppose you're trying to mold the IDS into something like ancient Greece, where there were city states that comprised most of Greece. They were independent entities but would band together when someone attacked them. Is that what you're going for? I've always believed a country or region needed a strong central power in order to flourish, so I suppose we just have different beliefs on that. But it's difficult to have an empire when you want a loose confederation that this bill seems to encourage.

I think we should have more debate on this since we seem to be making some big changes if this passes.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #64 on: July 12, 2012, 02:22:33 PM »

It's not that we universally shat all over the bill. I think it has some good merits to it, but we have no discussed it nearly enough to really ram it through the legislature at this point.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #65 on: July 12, 2012, 06:08:58 PM »

We need consistency in this region. How many face lifts have we gone through in the past few months/years? We have always been a region that has bucked the trend, so I suppose that is our lasting legacy regardless of what happens here.

Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #66 on: July 17, 2012, 12:49:48 AM »

Lol
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #67 on: July 24, 2012, 10:10:19 PM »

Back, great job at running things while I was gone Duke Tongue

You were gone for like a day Tongue

And also, I was at an out of town wedding that weekend. I am also going to New York tomorrow and will be gone until Monday the 30th, so my posting will be sporadic during this time. I am a busy man, but I won't be quite as busy after mid-August.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #68 on: July 31, 2012, 06:48:57 PM »

I'm back, and aye
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #69 on: August 13, 2012, 07:31:39 PM »

I have returned from the great land of the PGA Championship. Let us celebrate! And congrats to Rory McIllroy.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #70 on: August 14, 2012, 10:02:36 AM »

Just 25% of the people who voted? Doesn't that seem a little low? If 8 people voted in the governor's race, that means only 2 have to want to recall that guy and they could call a special election.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #71 on: August 14, 2012, 02:51:24 PM »

Just 25% of the people who voted? Doesn't that seem a little low? If 8 people voted in the governor's race, that means only 2 have to want to recall that guy and they could call a special election.

Yeah, I was concerned about that and thinking of bumping it up to around 50.

50% is a better number. We don't need to make recalling extremely easy.. Tongue
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #72 on: August 15, 2012, 01:10:00 PM »

The four month term is fine for me. The only problem I could see it posing is if we actually have a competitive elections again in the region, but I haven't seen one in a long time. IIRC, neither myself, JBrase or PiT have seen strong opposition during our reigns in the Governor's Plantation, so my worries are probably not warranted. As it is now, it seems redundant to vote PiT back into office over and over again, and I don't expect to see competitive elections after he does retire. We probably have even less party diversity nowadays than we did when the RPP/JCP ruled things.

Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #73 on: August 15, 2012, 05:11:14 PM »

I think October 2009 was the last time we had a competitive election for our regional executive. I guess we are at least united on the important issues of regional pride and maintaining a strong South. Smiley

I remember that. Xahar won in a fluke. I still don't remember how that came about. Before I took office as governor the SE had 1 person vote in its election. Remember the reign of Kingofthebenchpress?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #74 on: August 15, 2012, 05:52:43 PM »

I think October 2009 was the last time we had a competitive election for our regional executive. I guess we are at least united on the important issues of regional pride and maintaining a strong South. Smiley

I remember that. Xahar won in a fluke. I still don't remember how that came about. Before I took office as governor the SE had 1 person vote in its election. Remember the reign of Kingofthebenchpress?

KotBP's storied tenure was just before me. I joined at about the time you became Governor.

Oh right! After he won by getting 1 vote, I replaced him, the RPP was birthed and took over, and we seceded. What great times those were.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies