The Sword of Damocles - (Sign Up Thread) - Closed, 2017 Game Next
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 09:00:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  The Sword of Damocles - (Sign Up Thread) - Closed, 2017 Game Next
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 33
Author Topic: The Sword of Damocles - (Sign Up Thread) - Closed, 2017 Game Next  (Read 39470 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: May 16, 2016, 06:13:48 PM »

I'm planning on running Italy as an end result of the Papacy unifying the peninsula rather than Sardinia-Piedmont. The government will be a theocracy with a legislature made up by the local bishops and the college of cardinals. The Pope will have a very interventionist foreign policy, seeking to protect Catholic minorities across the globe and hopefully regain the Holy Land from Ottoman tyranny.

That contradicts pretty much the entire previous story.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #126 on: May 16, 2016, 06:16:42 PM »

I'm not going to say a Papal Theocracy is not fascinating... but yeah, I don't think I can make that work at all. Italy has been unified since the 1860's and did pretty well in the 1901-1908 period (creating a large colonial empire), so while it is possible that they could have gone revolutionary or authoritarian, I really can't think of a plausible scenario for Papal Italy.

Any chance you have an alternate idea or proposal?

PS: I've started writing the other countries's backstories as well, there will be a thread for that.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #127 on: May 16, 2016, 07:45:24 PM »

USA backstory now finished!

I'm sorry it's so extended (most shouldn't be as nearly as long), but I had a lot of fun exploring such a grim scenario. I hope you'll find it enjoyable, or at least, amusing. (Also, no commentary on the info thread)
Weyfield
Rookie
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #128 on: May 16, 2016, 07:50:51 PM »

Intriguing scenario - nicely done, Lumine. Very much looking forward to reading the others.
Mauldania
Rookie
« Reply #129 on: May 16, 2016, 10:23:15 PM »

Looks great.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #130 on: May 17, 2016, 05:04:00 AM »

Could I do a Papal orchestrated Coup d'etat against the Kingdom of Italy? So now its a republic that is a theocracy in all but name?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #131 on: May 17, 2016, 07:17:17 AM »

Bloody brilliant, Lumine!

I, for one, welcome a fellow military despot XD
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #132 on: May 17, 2016, 08:12:16 AM »

Oh yes, the US backstory really is great. Will we get similar ones for the other countries as well?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #133 on: May 17, 2016, 08:47:12 AM »

Could I do a Papal orchestrated Coup d'etat against the Kingdom of Italy? So now its a republic that is a theocracy in all but name?

Obviously it's up to Lumine. I do sincerely hope that if he finds that storyline implausible, you'll still remain as Italy player.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #134 on: May 17, 2016, 09:21:13 AM »

Obviously it's up to Lumine. I do sincerely hope that if he finds that storyline implausible, you'll still remain as Italy player.

I'll be Italy no matter what. I just want to be a bloody theocrat is all Smiley
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #135 on: May 17, 2016, 10:02:59 AM »

Just my five cents, this is obviously all up to Lumine (and you), but I don't really find such a theocrat scenario plausible at all - where would the pope suddenly get the power to implement such a coup d'état? But as said, please you do you, play Italy only the way you want to (and our god and master Lumine allows Tongue)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #136 on: May 17, 2016, 10:14:44 AM »

Just my five cents, this is obviously all up to Lumine (and you), but I don't really find such a theocrat scenario plausible at all - where would the pope suddenly get the power to implement such a coup d'état? But as said, please you do you, play Italy only the way you want to (and our god and master Lumine allows Tongue)

Too bad it's not plausible, because I'd love to see the Papal tanks landing in Palestine.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #137 on: May 17, 2016, 10:18:13 AM »

Too bad it's not plausible, because I'd love to see the Papal tanks landing in Palestine.

I think I'll do a theocratic Italy with Papal backing rather than complete Papal control. If that's acceptable of course.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #138 on: May 17, 2016, 10:27:11 AM »

I think I'll do a theocratic Italy with Papal backing rather than complete Papal control. If that's acceptable of course.

That's obviously for Lumine to decide, but again, I just don't see any potential for a theocratic power to arise in early 20th-century Italy, not in OTL and even less so ITL - no one with any remote power and gravitas would back anything like that.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #139 on: May 17, 2016, 12:06:29 PM »

Lumine, if you need anything, do not hesitate to PM me.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #140 on: May 17, 2016, 12:21:55 PM »

Regarding Italy, if I remember correctly, Mussolini made a deal with the pope during the 1920's. Of course he didnt respect most of his deal with the Pope. But a compromise between what Lumine and what SouthernGothic wants could be a better deal for the pope that Italt would have respecter?
For example, the Pope being the "governor" of the  region of Rome and having a say in italian policies? I honestly this is a plausible scebario considering how much italians wanted to reconcile with the pope.

As you wish Tongue
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #141 on: May 17, 2016, 12:39:24 PM »

That seems a bit better, really.

Now, I decided on a Papal Italy itself being impossible to enact, but I think it's perfectly possible for us to do a militant dictatorship in Italy that is fanatically catholic and nationalistic, with the dictator and the Pope being in league in a quid-pro-quo arrangement.

Considering that during the Spanish Civil War the Papacy went as far as to call the struggle of the Nationalists a "crusade", I think it's perfectly possible a fanatical pope would have given full backing to a regime of these sorts.

Would you find that interesting, Southern Gothic?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #142 on: May 17, 2016, 12:41:04 PM »

Oh yes, the US backstory really is great. Will we get similar ones for the other countries as well?

Thanks!

That is precisely the point, but writing these takes time, which is why I started now. Once we settle China and Italy and I finish writing, we can start.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #143 on: May 17, 2016, 12:43:58 PM »

This is so high energy my head is 'bout to explode

NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #144 on: May 17, 2016, 01:49:03 PM »

Thanks!

That is precisely the point, but writing these takes time, which is why I started now. Once we settle China and Italy and I finish writing, we can start.

I am going to be posting China in a minute, I am doing a little research ATM beforehand.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #145 on: May 17, 2016, 02:17:28 PM »

For what it's worth my russian knowledge is based on WW2, and my AS level about the Russian Revolution
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #146 on: May 17, 2016, 02:34:15 PM »

That seems a bit better, really.

Now, I decided on a Papal Italy itself being impossible to enact, but I think it's perfectly possible for us to do a militant dictatorship in Italy that is fanatically catholic and nationalistic, with the dictator and the Pope being in league in a quid-pro-quo arrangement.

Considering that during the Spanish Civil War the Papacy went as far as to call the struggle of the Nationalists a "crusade", I think it's perfectly possible a fanatical pope would have given full backing to a regime of these sorts.

Would you find that interesting, Southern Gothic?

Sounds good to me! My leader will be Emperor Victor Emmanuel III of Italy.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #147 on: May 17, 2016, 02:39:34 PM »

Good to hear, Southern Gothic!

I'll add the Kingdom of Italy to the list then to work on the backstory. Feel free to add any details, proposals or suggestions so we can flesh out your nation more (events, dates, specifics on ideology, what Pope you'd like, and so on).
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #148 on: May 17, 2016, 02:40:50 PM »

For what it's worth my russian knowledge is based on WW2, and my AS level about the Russian Revolution

No worries, Blair, my level of russian knowledge is probably more limited, so I won't be going overboard with detail. There's a lot (and I mean a lot) that I have to write for the Russian context, so feel free to add any ideas you have in mind for the backstory and the nature of Kerensky's government.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #149 on: May 17, 2016, 02:46:59 PM »

Good to hear, Southern Gothic!

I'll add the Kingdom of Italy to the list then to work on the backstory. Feel free to add any details, proposals or suggestions so we can flesh out your nation more (events, dates, specifics on ideology, what Pope you'd like, and so on).

How free am I in deciding the back story?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 33  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies