Whig Party Convention, Columbia, SC (MERGER VOTING!)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 12:55:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Whig Party Convention, Columbia, SC (MERGER VOTING!)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: Whig Party Convention, Columbia, SC (MERGER VOTING!)  (Read 7493 times)
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2012, 02:02:53 PM »

Well I guess we're ready to vote for chairman & vice-charian, since nobody else seems interested in running. Voting will last 24 hours.

Chairman:
[1] Goldwater

Vice-chairman:
[1] Oldiesfreak

On an un-related note, we really ought to change our by-laws. The actions we've taken over the last month or so have been exactly the right course of action given the circumstance, but these actions aren't exactly... allowed. I'm not challenging them, but it would be nice to have party rules that would allow for us to easily solve problems when they arise.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2012, 02:08:17 PM »

Chairman:
[1] Goldwater

Vice-chairman:
[1] Oldiesfreak

On an un-related note, we really ought to change our by-laws. The actions we've taken over the last month or so have been exactly the right course of action given the circumstance, but these actions aren't exactly... allowed. I'm not challenging them, but it would be nice to have party rules that would allow for us to easily solve problems when they arise.

Do you know where the by-laws are located? Because they don't seem to be in the last convention thread...
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2012, 02:15:26 PM »

Yep, you can find them here. There's also an amendment that hasn't yet made it onto this page... It's the one Simfan cited in the last few pages of our convention at Bird-in-Hand.

Smiley
Pingvin
Pingvin99
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2012, 02:19:29 PM »

Chairman:
[1] Goldwater

Vice-chairman:
[1] Oldiesfreak
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2012, 07:52:21 AM »
« Edited: October 22, 2012, 08:07:30 AM by ZuWo »

Chairman:

Goldwater

Vice-Chairman:

Oldiesfreak

As for the idea that the Whig Party should merge with the People's Party, I'm ardently opposed to it. While I respect many people in that party, it's really not clear what the TPP stands for as it consists of Atlasians that are very far away from each other politically. We need to highlight our own identity, which is center-right on economic and social issues (with a special emphasis on our pro-life stance, which goes back to the days when the Whig Party was founded). We will never win the presidency, nor will we ever have a majority in the Senate and we will probably lose most elections. But that's ok - we should just be who we are.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2012, 10:02:54 AM »
« Edited: October 22, 2012, 02:56:11 PM by Simfan34 »

Chairman:

Goldwater

Vice-Chairman:

Oldiesfreak

As for the idea that the Whig Party should merge with the People's Party, I'm ardently opposed to it. While I respect many people in that party, it's really not clear what the TPP stands for as it consists of Atlasians that are very far away from each other politically. We need to highlight our own identity, which is center-right on economic and social issues (with a special emphasis on our pro-life stance, which goes back to the days when the Whig Party was founded). We will never win the presidency, nor will we ever have a majority in the Senate and we will probably lose most elections. But that's ok - we should just be who we are.

I must say I found this outlook disappointing. I never intended for the Whigs to be some sort of testimonial party, but one that was both competitive and influential. You appear to be proposing a mere holding group for those who are right of center, and I feel like you can and should do more.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2012, 10:45:59 AM »

Moreover, if we were to theoretically "inject ourselves" into the People's Party, we'd play a role in shaping what it stood for.

I'm not going to try and shape any of these decisions though. I'm staying far away from party leadership. I ain't the "smiling face" our party needs. Tongue
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2012, 02:55:38 PM »

Chairman:

Goldwater

Vice-Chairman:

Oldiesfreak

I must say I found this outlook disappointing. I never intended for the Whigs to be some sort of testimonial party, but one that was both competitive and influential. You appear to be proposing a more holding group for those who are right of center, and I feel like you can and should do more.

What I propose is clarity. People should know what our party stands for. A political landscape with numerous ideologically different parties is just much more fun than a situation where we have a few powerful parties that don't really stand for anything except a desire for political success at any cost.
Also, if you look at the recent registration figures you will notice that no center-right candidate can be successful in the near future if he has an opponent to his left. The current advantage the left enjoys is by far the largest I have ever seen in Atlasia. It's huge, it's brutal. Whatever the "center" or the "right" tries or does, it is doomed electorally speaking.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2012, 05:35:53 PM »

By a vote of 5-0, Goldwater is elected Chairman & Oldiesfreak is elected Vice-Chairman.

Chairman:

Goldwater

Vice-Chairman:

Oldiesfreak

If the uniting factor of this party is being pro-life, than I should resign from my chairmanship & leave the party...
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2012, 06:47:56 PM »

Chairman:

Goldwater

Vice-Chairman:

Oldiesfreak

I must say I found this outlook disappointing. I never intended for the Whigs to be some sort of testimonial party, but one that was both competitive and influential. You appear to be proposing a more holding group for those who are right of center, and I feel like you can and should do more.

What I propose is clarity. People should know what our party stands for. A political landscape with numerous ideologically different parties is just much more fun than a situation where we have a few powerful parties that don't really stand for anything except a desire for political success at any cost.
Also, if you look at the recent registration figures you will notice that no center-right candidate can be successful in the near future if he has an opponent to his left. The current advantage the left enjoys is by far the largest I have ever seen in Atlasia. It's huge, it's brutal. Whatever the "center" or the "right" tries or does, it is doomed electorally speaking.

I highly doubt that. We've managed to elect two right-wing presidents in as many years.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2012, 02:32:50 PM »

By a vote of 5-0, Goldwater is elected Chairman & Oldiesfreak is elected Vice-Chairman.

Chairman:

Goldwater

Vice-Chairman:

Oldiesfreak

If the uniting factor of this party is being pro-life, than I should resign from my chairmanship & leave the party...

No, that wouldn't be desirable since you have been an active member for quite some time now. I don't strive for complete ideological purity; a certain degree of heterogeneity is not bad as long as the main stances within the party are still recognizable and those who deviate from the mainstream feel comfortable about that. What I wanted to emphasize was that the Whig Party emerged from the "Right to Life Caucus" and that our opposition to abortion and the death penalty is explicitly stated in our platform. Thus, being "pro-life" is probably a defining criterion for most, albeit not all, members of the Whig Party.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2012, 04:33:48 PM »

Chairman:

Goldwater

Vice-Chairman:

Oldiesfreak

No, that wouldn't be desirable since you have been an active member for quite some time now. I don't strive for complete ideological purity; a certain degree of heterogeneity is not bad as long as the main stances within the party are still recognizable and those who deviate from the mainstream feel comfortable about that. What I wanted to emphasize was that the Whig Party emerged from the "Right to Life Caucus" and that our opposition to abortion and the death penalty is explicitly stated in our platform. Thus, being "pro-life" is probably a defining criterion for most, albeit not all, members of the Whig Party.
I totally agree.  Ideological purity is bad for the party.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2012, 07:10:27 PM »

Chairman:

Goldwater

Vice-Chairman:

Oldiesfreak

Oh, I misunderstood what you where saying. Yeah, I don't plan on leaving the party, since I'm still closer to the Whigs than any other party.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2012, 07:53:26 PM »

So, does anybody here want to run for senate?
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2012, 07:58:11 PM »

I know a Former Whig who's gonna run for B.K.'s seat...

Let me guess, he's a member of TPP now? Tongue
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2012, 08:16:12 PM »

Would it happen to be the current Governator of The Pacific?
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2012, 08:17:51 PM »

I will probably be running for re-election. I haven't done the best job in the world, but I feel like I've been a very active contributor. And we're hurting for those.

I've fought for what this party believes in, but, at the same time, I've tried to reach common ground with my colleagues in the senate. Hopefully y'all will choose to keep me on. I really like the job. Smiley
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2012, 08:21:04 PM »

I will probably be running for re-election. I haven't done the best job in the world, but I feel like I've been a very active contributor. And we're hurting for those.

I've fought for what this party believes in, but, at the same time, I've tried to reach common ground with my colleagues in the senate. Hopefully y'all will choose to keep me on. I really like the job. Smiley

Yeah, we do hope you will be reelected, but that doesn't fill the vacancies caused by BK & Townseed. Tongue
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2012, 08:28:20 PM »

Just putting it out there. Tongue

I must have missed Townsend's resignation though. It's kind of a shame he couldn't have been more active. I really appreciated the fact that he wasn't a strict partisan.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2012, 08:42:39 PM »

Because he was a former Whig, is currently a member of TPP, and I didn't see anybody other than Snowstalker announce he was running, so I'm assuming that somebody announced it you in private, and since you are the Lt. Governor of the Pacific I assumed you and him would occasionally have private meetings...
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2012, 09:23:58 PM »

I would like to note that any Whigs intending to run should announce so by the 31st, since that's the day I will open the endorsement vote.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2012, 09:45:50 PM »

I'm leaning on running for at-large in December.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2012, 09:47:53 PM »

I'm leaning on running for at-large in December.

You could run in November...
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2012, 09:50:37 PM »

Why? It's not like we're going to put him on the ballot...
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2012, 10:00:28 PM »

Napoleon, aren't you supposed to be eyeball deep in being impeached on official misconduct regarding said disenfranchisement of me and my supporters? Oh that's right most of the senate is in your back pocket.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies