Should we trust the decision of Biden's campaign more?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 02:49:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Should we trust the decision of Biden's campaign more?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Should we trust the decision of Biden's campaign more?  (Read 1071 times)
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2024, 06:33:27 PM »

As I said he is gambling with Harris she may win but she can cost Biden victory too. It's not fair for Conserv and some liberals to Blake Biden, Veeps always get the blame. Edwards was blamed for costing Kerry but Gephardt was a better pick than Edwards.

Now, Harris has always gotten the blunt of blame but she hasn't done much like Newsom or Breed has run major metros and State govt aside from Sen

Obama told Biden to pick Harris instead of Susan Rice, but Bruce Joel or Solid doesn't appear to be around to defend her like last time

It's a gamble won't Whitmer be a better Veep anyways she is TL out anyways in 26
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2024, 08:06:56 PM »

Yes, for either side.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2024, 11:07:01 AM »

In 2016, Hillary's campaign headquarters famously ignored their own campaign in Michigan's warnings and took Michigan for granted.

Hillary is still living rent-free in your head?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2024, 11:07:41 AM »

In 2016, Hillary's campaign headquarters famously ignored their own campaign in Michigan's warnings and took Michigan for granted.

Lol Gary Johnson split the vote
Hillary is still living rent-free in your head?
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2024, 08:43:19 PM »

I assume they're running Biden again because they plugged all the other possible candidates into their big election simulating supercomputer and determined he had the best chance of winning, despite the difficulties. Campaigns obviously have much better data than pollsters. I don't know what it is but my imagination is pretty wild - the full raw data on all votes in all precincts, party members, donors, primary ballot requests for each party from every person voting - that persons friend's and family connections and their propensity to vote. Could get pretty detailed.

Or.... if you really want to get tinfoily they WANT him to lose. Maybe their simulations show the economy collapsing in a year or two and it is unstoppable at this point, and they don't want a democrat in the White House to take the blame, so they're trying to throw the election while keeping it close without doing too much damage downticket.

Both assumptions are predicated on the notion that these are intelligent people making sane rational choices.

After 2022 it seems really silly for a party to purposely try to lose the Presidency in hopes of better cycles in the future.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2024, 08:46:42 PM »

I genuinely wonder if one underrated problem for the Trump campaigns (and Republicans in general) is lack of Republican-leaning smart people actually effectively manage and direct a campaign, and even for those that do exist they have less power because of Trump's own ego telling his campaign to invest in Virginia or something.

Is Dems just having a larger, high quality pool of smart people to choose from to help on the campaign an underrated advantage?
Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2024, 12:01:45 PM »

One small update; Becca Siegel someone high up in the Biden campaign claimed this was the Biden’s campaigns final 2020 forecast in key states which is honestly eerily accurate. The x-axis is Biden’s share of the 2 party vote.

Notice the large variance in the variance of the distributions - apparently this is due to some states like GA and AZ having more helpful voter info stats than WI which it sounds like has almost nothing. Was a really interesting talk, and like how she said it’s not about what states can we win or do we need to win, but what states increase our odds of winning the most?

This is 100% correct. The reason for the differences in variance are because of better quality voter file data in some states than others, which makes individual voter modeling scores more precise in some states than others. The biggest factors differentiating states are party registration, race (especially if race is explicitly asked on voter registration forms, as in some southern states), and geographical polarization.

In states like CO, VA, AZ, and GA, you either have (quite predictive) party registration and/or race data for every individual voter, and also voters tend to be strongly geographically polarized, so it is easier to identify with greater certainty who is likely to be a D voter or a R voter.

Meanwhile in states like Wisconsin, pretty much all the voters are German/Scandinavian last name white people, without party registration, with geographical polarization being a lot less (fewer overly lopsided precincts and a lot more 40-60% precincts).

In addition, depending on when the analysis is done, it is easier to predict with lower variance for states which have a lot of early voting, because then you already know explicitly which particular individual voters have voted for a larger share of the electorate, so you remove more of the uncertainty element from not knowing which particular individual voters will actually end up voting (turnout modeling scores are also reflected in the variance of those graphs, not just candidate support).

Another very important element here is that presidential campaigns (at least demographic ones) are well aware that when there are unexpected swings or late breaking events, they tend to swing some demographic groups more than others, and that voters with similar demographics tend to swing together one way or another across state lines. For this reason, presidential campaigns (at least democratic ones) try to give themselves multiple paths to victory which are more dependent and less dependent on different mixes of demographic groups.

For example, at the minimum you would like to have a "white people/midwest" path to victory available in case performance is strong with white voters, but also a "southern/southwestern/non-white" path to victory available in case. And on a more granular level, you would like to have a path to 270 that is more reliant on college educated white voters but also one that is more reliant on non-college educated white voters (more easily said than done for the latter at this point), and also distinct paths that are more dependent on black vs hispanic and/or hispanic vs black voters.

The reason for this is to try to avoid ending up in the situation of Al Gore 2000 or John Kerry 2004 where you are totally reliant on winning 1 particular state (Florida for Gore, Ohio for Kerry) in order to have a viable path to 270 electoral votes.

Now consider this again, and think about the reasons for contesting Florida:

like how she said it’s not about what states can we win or do we need to win, but what states increase our odds of winning the most?

This year in particular, one additional issue/demographic that might end up having a significant effect and "swinging together across state lines" is the demographic of women and the issue of abortion.

So one of the things that "increase our odds of winning the most" might be to contest states where abortion may (or may not) turn out to be a particularly important issue which could affect the percentage of the electorate that are women and democratic support, via the influence of ballot referendums. This provides an additional potential path to victory, a women/abortion path, which maybe (or maybe not) could hold up even if the other potential paths to 270 which are reliant on different demographics fail. Hence the reason to contest Florida.
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2024, 12:07:22 PM »

It might not even be to win the state Presidentially but rather to try and win some other downballot races - we saw something similar where both campaigns spent a decent amount on Maine media markets for the Senate race.

This is one example that proves your point that the campaign knows some things that you do not.

The reason for spending in Maine media markets is (mostly) for ME-02's single electoral vote, not for the state as a whole (even though it is only 1 electoral vote, there are scenarios in which it can be important, and that one electoral vote is also demographically distinctive and more reliant, in particular, on non-college white voters, so it helps with that elusive "non-college white" path to 270 in particular which I mentioned in the previous post.

In addition, there is also one media market in Maine which overlaps with some small parts of northern New Hampshire, and so they run ads in that (primarily Maine) media market. But not to reach the ME-01 voters, but instead to reach the New Hampshire voters.

It has a lot less to do with the Senate race than with those things (unfortunately, Presidential campaigns tend to focus more than many of us would like on only their own race rather than considering downballot impacts which will affect their ability to actually govern), although that never hurts.
wnwnwn
Peru

« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2024, 12:11:13 PM »

I genuinely wonder if one underrated problem for the Trump campaigns (and Republicans in general) is lack of Republican-leaning smart people actually effectively manage and direct a campaign, and even for those that do exist they have less power because of Trump's own ego telling his campaign to invest in Virginia or something.

Is Dems just having a larger, high quality pool of smart people to choose from to help on the campaign an underrated advantage?

Do you think those right wing think tanks are full of dumb people?
Well, I suppose republcians have a smaller base of sociologists and pol sci (non lawyer) college graduates, but pretty sure they have a decent chuck of publicist talent.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2024, 12:16:08 PM »
« Edited: May 02, 2024, 12:19:22 PM by Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers »

Do you think those right wing think tanks are full of dumb people?
Well, I suppose republcians have a smaller base of sociologists and pol sci (non lawyer) college graduates, but pretty sure they have a decent chuck of publicist talent.

The Rs are ran by businessmen and the DS by lawyers that's why Ds don't give tax cuts to rich people which is a scam no matter if Trump is Prez or not

Do you think Trump is gonna have 60 Approved gains should he get in office if he continues his tax cuts, no because he didn't have them before

But to go all in on Jamie Harrison, and Harris are questionable when have we had a Press conference from either one of them, none.

As I said before it's a gamble Harris doesn't have 60 percent Approval as it was in 20, Alsobrooks and Abrams have now better Approval than Harris

That's why I support Newsom in 28 and he would pick Alsobrooks as Veep if she wins her S seat if not Abrams
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2024, 12:21:28 PM »

This is also exactly correct. Recent Democratic Presidential campaigns have benefited massively from having more smarter people available. In addition to having smarter and more capable people actually working directly on the campaigns themselves, especially in the final months of a campaign, Democratic Presidential campaigns have had uniquely skilled people who would never actually work directly on a campaign from tech companies like google and facebook as well as top of the line academics from universities with very particular specialized knowledge and abilities help out and consult as volunteers. It is also much easier for the Democratic party and progressive groups to form pipelines and connections with academia, which are active in promoting and sharing research outside of the context of an active campaign.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2024, 01:33:43 PM »

Personally I don't trust the campaign's decisions at all, given that they're completely spitting in the faces of young voters by banning TikTok.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2024, 12:07:53 AM »

This is also exactly correct. Recent Democratic Presidential campaigns have benefited massively from having more smarter people available. In addition to having smarter and more capable people actually working directly on the campaigns themselves, especially in the final months of a campaign, Democratic Presidential campaigns have had uniquely skilled people who would never actually work directly on a campaign from tech companies like google and facebook as well as top of the line academics from universities with very particular specialized knowledge and abilities help out and consult as volunteers. It is also much easier for the Democratic party and progressive groups to form pipelines and connections with academia, which are active in promoting and sharing research outside of the context of an active campaign.

Agreed, but the marginal benefit of having intelligent people probably begins to wane after a certain point jsut because there's only so much one can realistically do and generally the smart people create some type of marginally beneficial efficiency: not multiplying productivity/effectiveness by a factor of 100.
Jerry
United States
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2024, 12:29:38 AM »

No we should not.

I have watched plenty of footage of Biden. He's in decay in every sense of the word. He reminds me of the scene in Mrs. Doubtfire when Robin Williams' character burns his fake chest trying to cook dinner. If I were Joe Biden I would trust my closest advisors who are at least young enough to be my biological grandchildren. Full mental faculties intact. Florida and Texas are complete wastes.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies