Euro 2012 Qualifiers
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 10:37:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Euro 2012 Qualifiers
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 30
Author Topic: Euro 2012 Qualifiers  (Read 72791 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: August 11, 2011, 11:00:18 AM »

Euro 2012 title within Italy's reach after win against Spain - http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/3378/international-friendlies/2011/08/11/2614857/italys-cassano-inspired-win-over-worlds-best-spain-proves

"Make no mistake about it … Italy are becoming contenders again."

Meanwhile, Casillas is being a baby, claiming the game should have ended in a tie because our final goal was lucky and they dominated the second half. Iker must not have been paying attention when we dominated the first half and had many more opportunities, not to mention their very generous awarded penalty.
republicanism
Germany

« Reply #176 on: August 11, 2011, 11:04:52 AM »

Italy has always been a contender.
Throughout the last decades, there were three teams that were always "big ones": Brazil, Italy and Germany.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #177 on: August 11, 2011, 12:25:45 PM »

Northern Ireland thrashed Faroe Islands and continued to tip-toe their way towards the Euros. They still have a decent shot at a play-off.

Oh, damn. I forgot that there was a qualifier today. They certainly do have a shot at the playoffs. It should be a nail biter between Slovenia and Northern Ireland. I'm assuming that neither will take points from Italy since both have to play them away and we're on fire now. However, if one of them is able to do so, that should seal their place in the playoffs. I still think Slovenia has the edge but only by a single point.

It might help Northern Ireland, though, that Italy will likely have already qualified by the last game (they should qualify two games from now against Slovenia) and that would mean a far more relaxed style for Italy. We saw how they almost threw away their final qualifier for the 2010 World Cup against Cyprus while at home because they had qualified in the second to last game.

Serbia still has a chance but they finish with two tough matches. I'll say that they're going to finish in fourth.

Remember that Northern Ireland already has tied Italy once. The thing I think speaks in their favour is that they have two games against Estonia left and Estonia is a quite weak team. Serbia should have performed better and might surge at the end, but I think they'll still lose against Italy and that might make things too uphill for them.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #178 on: August 11, 2011, 01:11:28 PM »

I understand Spain losing means the Dutch will become the #1 FIFA ranked team in tomorrow's ranking update.

Cheesy

It's awesome to be the ones to knock them off their perch but...ugh...the Dutch.  Sad   It seems a little soon for rankings though. Wasn't there an update about two weeks ago?

Ah, checked that - you're right. The update won't take place until the 24th.
Fairly sure it shouldn't make a difference though as there aren't any relevant fixtures between now and then.

It'll be the first time the Dutch have been the top ranked side.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #179 on: August 11, 2011, 02:15:43 PM »

Northern Ireland thrashed Faroe Islands and continued to tip-toe their way towards the Euros. They still have a decent shot at a play-off.

Oh, damn. I forgot that there was a qualifier today. They certainly do have a shot at the playoffs. It should be a nail biter between Slovenia and Northern Ireland. I'm assuming that neither will take points from Italy since both have to play them away and we're on fire now. However, if one of them is able to do so, that should seal their place in the playoffs. I still think Slovenia has the edge but only by a single point.

It might help Northern Ireland, though, that Italy will likely have already qualified by the last game (they should qualify two games from now against Slovenia) and that would mean a far more relaxed style for Italy. We saw how they almost threw away their final qualifier for the 2010 World Cup against Cyprus while at home because they had qualified in the second to last game.

Serbia still has a chance but they finish with two tough matches. I'll say that they're going to finish in fourth.

Remember that Northern Ireland already has tied Italy once. The thing I think speaks in their favour is that they have two games against Estonia left and Estonia is a quite weak team. Serbia should have performed better and might surge at the end, but I think they'll still lose against Italy and that might make things too uphill for them.

It was earlier in the qualifiers (we start slower) and in Belfast so their previous draw shouldn't be reason to believe another draw is possible. However, see my other reasoning as to why a draw is possible.

As for Serbia, I actually think we'll tie since we should have qualified by then and we'll be playing in Belgrade which is very, very hostile territory especially for Italy since the previous fixture between the two was infamously called off and awarded as a 3-0 win for us.
NVGonzalez
antwnzrr
Mexico

« Reply #180 on: August 11, 2011, 03:50:14 PM »

Euro 2012 title within Italy's reach after win against Spain - http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/3378/international-friendlies/2011/08/11/2614857/italys-cassano-inspired-win-over-worlds-best-spain-proves

"Make no mistake about it … Italy are becoming contenders again."

Meanwhile, Casillas is being a baby, claiming the game should have ended in a tie because our final goal was lucky and they dominated the second half. Iker must not have been paying attention when we dominated the first half and had many more opportunities, not to mention their very generous awarded penalty.

Italy seems to be resurrecting after a very horrid World Cup. Looks like I will add them to my contenders list. Congrats Phil!
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #181 on: August 11, 2011, 10:54:43 PM »

Italy seems to be resurrecting after a very horrid World Cup. Looks like I will add them to my contenders list. Congrats Phil!

Good job, smart!

In somewhat European related news, Brazil has apparently cancelled their upcoming Friendlies with Spain and Italy, instead opting for Costa Rica, Egypt and a few others. Sounds like they're in trouble.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #182 on: August 11, 2011, 11:16:37 PM »

In somewhat European related news, Brazil has apparently cancelled their upcoming Friendlies with Spain and Italy, instead opting for Costa Rica, Egypt and a few others. Sounds like they're in trouble.

Hahah, that's hilarious.

Unfortunately we all know that the Brazil will be good again by the time 2014 comes around and they'll win.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #183 on: August 11, 2011, 11:23:00 PM »

Unfortunately we all know that the Brazil will be good again by the time 2014 comes around and they'll win.

Yes, they will win like they did in 1998, 2006 and 2010 just as predicted.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #184 on: August 24, 2011, 03:40:35 PM »

Well, it finally happened - Spain drop out of first place in the FIFA rankings. It sucks that the Dutch are the new top team but at least Spain are out and it was thanks to their loss against Italy.  Smiley

http://www.goal.com/en/news/745/fifa/2011/08/24/2633924/netherlands-leapfrog-spain-at-top-of-fifa-rankings
NVGonzalez
antwnzrr
Mexico

« Reply #185 on: August 24, 2011, 07:36:06 PM »

Well, it finally happened - Spain drop out of first place in the FIFA rankings. It sucks that the Dutch are the new top team but at least Spain are out and it was thanks to their loss against Italy.  Smiley

http://www.goal.com/en/news/745/fifa/2011/08/24/2633924/netherlands-leapfrog-spain-at-top-of-fifa-rankings

No love for Germany?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #186 on: August 24, 2011, 08:46:06 PM »

No love for Germany?

I guess they get points for knocking Brazil down but I'm an Azzurri fan, my friend. I'm not going to have love for Germany.  Tongue
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #187 on: August 31, 2011, 03:30:13 PM »

Just two days away from the return of qualifying action!  Smiley

Thank God Italy faces Faroe Islands though there's even some concern (or just downplaying expectations so we seem incredible after we win comfortably) that a minnow will keep us from getting three points thanks to the Serie A strike. I don't think anyone has suggested that we'd lose but if we don't get the full three points, it's an embarrassment. I think we'll win but I'm not as optimistic about next week's match against Slovenia. I think we'll get a draw despite playing at home.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #188 on: September 01, 2011, 07:12:34 AM »

Sweden plays Hungary. Key, key game. A win there and the chances of getting best runner-up and qualify automatically would be very, very good.

Even with a draw or, God forbid, a loss we should have a good shot at second place in the group, but we would then have to face a play-off. And that's no good, of course.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #189 on: September 01, 2011, 07:26:55 AM »

Austria defeats Germany tomorrow in Gelsenkirchen by 4:1 !!!!!!!

Wink
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #190 on: September 01, 2011, 07:35:13 AM »

Wink

I'll tell you what, I'll put a picture of your choice in my forum signature if that happens Smiley
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #191 on: September 01, 2011, 07:38:18 AM »

Wink

I'll tell you what, I'll put a picture of your choice in my forum signature if that happens Smiley

ok Smiley
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #192 on: September 01, 2011, 08:55:55 AM »

Wink

ok Smiley

It should be a picture of Joe Republic's choice.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #193 on: September 01, 2011, 10:11:24 AM »

A win there and the chances of getting best runner-up and qualify automatically would be very, very good.

Sorry to break the bad news but they aren't doing that anymore for the Euros. The group runners up now plays in a two legged playoff round like in World Cup qualifying.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #194 on: September 01, 2011, 10:28:25 AM »

A win there and the chances of getting best runner-up and qualify automatically would be very, very good.

Sorry to break the bad news but they aren't doing that anymore for the Euros. The group runners up now plays in a two legged playoff round like in World Cup qualifying.
Except for the best one. There's 9 groups and 14 places, what can they do?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #195 on: September 01, 2011, 10:37:20 AM »

Except for the best one. There's 9 groups and 14 places, what can they do?

Right  Tongue
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #196 on: September 02, 2011, 12:56:51 PM »

So, what is my prediction for Germany vs. Austria (starting in 50 minutes) ?

I guess either 3:0 or 4:0 for Germany. But more likely 3:0 ... Tongue
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #197 on: September 02, 2011, 12:57:55 PM »

For the first time ever maybe, the highest ranked and lowest ranked FIFA countries will be playing each other today, when the Dutch face poor little San Marino.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #198 on: September 02, 2011, 12:59:57 PM »

Results so far

Israel - Greece 0-1
Lithuania - Liechtenstein 0-0
Finland - Moldova 4-1
Andorra - Armenia 0-3
Azerbaijan - Belgium 1-1 !
and waiting on confirmation that
Russa - Macedonia 1-0
is indeed over.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #199 on: September 02, 2011, 01:01:56 PM »

For the first time ever maybe, the highest ranked and lowest ranked FIFA countries will be playing each other today, when the Dutch face poor little San Marino.

7-0 for the Dutch, I suppose.

I have a bad feeling that Italy is going to concede its first goal in 2012 qualifying since the 31st minute of the first game. Buffon has conceded a goal in Tórshavn before and we're a little rusty. I think we'll win 2-1.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 30  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies