The Imperial Dominion of the South's Legislature
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 10:18:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Imperial Dominion of the South's Legislature
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 128 129 130 [131] 132 133 134 135 136 ... 170
Author Topic: The Imperial Dominion of the South's Legislature  (Read 299627 times)
Donerail
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3250 on: November 03, 2012, 07:51:13 PM »

Mr. SJoyceFla, as the honourable speaker, and as the elected representative for the state of Texas I would like to add three bills to the Order paper.

One, the Bill for the expansion of nuclear power in the IDS.
Two, the Bill for the formation of individual congressional representation for the IDS - in plans with the proposed congress of the United States of America.
Three, the bill for the invasion and annexation of Coahila and Taumalipas. 

If you could add them here, they shall be added to the docket ASAP.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3251 on: November 03, 2012, 08:08:31 PM »

DOCKET A:
-IDS Independence Resolution
-Aliya Mustafina Day
-Dogs & Cats
-Imperial Empiricism
-Blue Laws
-Tips & Commissions

Since I figure we should decide on some sort of docket, I'd put this forth as my suggested one. Put the bills that are mostly ceremonial or will have little debate first so we can get through with them, and the bigger bills later (in order of introduction for part as well).
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3252 on: November 03, 2012, 08:45:17 PM »

Mr SJoyceFla, as the legitimate speaker of this house, I've added the three bills above to the docket and the "abolition of income tax" which is my popular request bill as submitted by my constituents here in the glorious state of Texas.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #3253 on: November 03, 2012, 09:57:39 PM »

I concur with the co-Speaker's suggestion of order. I believe this emphasizes the "ease of doing business", from the least controversial ascending to the most controversial.

Just to get the text all sorted into one place for inspection, here are the items currently on the docket:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3254 on: November 04, 2012, 11:07:10 AM »

Why not simply define this as the continent of Antarctica from 90w-150w?
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3255 on: November 04, 2012, 11:13:16 AM »

Marie Byrd land doubles the size of the IDS, at 680k square miles, it is about the same size as all the southern states minus Arkansas.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3256 on: November 04, 2012, 11:48:52 AM »

Why not simply define this as the continent of Antarctica from 90w-150w?

Because we also want to include territorial waters (and the rich fisheries that accompany it), so it's south of the 60th.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3257 on: November 04, 2012, 03:18:12 PM »

Wasn't there an accompanying bill in the Senate that would have supported this action that failed?
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #3258 on: November 04, 2012, 06:14:42 PM »

Wasn't there an accompanying bill in the Senate that would have supported this action that failed?

I vaguely recall either this occurring, or that a proposed bill was mentioned but never brought onto the floor of the Senate.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3259 on: November 04, 2012, 11:00:27 PM »

I found the bill. It failed.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3260 on: November 05, 2012, 04:07:23 AM »

Mr. Speaker, I move that we begin debate on the first order of business on the order paper.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #3261 on: November 05, 2012, 06:12:15 AM »

Let debate on the first bill commence:

Zanas
Zanas46
France

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3262 on: November 05, 2012, 01:39:25 PM »

Mrs Speakers, Fellow Legislators, I'll take the occasion to state my objections towards the Act presented onto us.

I don't think making unilateral claims for our region only is an attitude of good loyalty towards our glorious nation as a whole. Whereas I could see the potential interest of having a sub-board entitled to our regional matters, I don't think this should be viewed or asked as a privilege directly to our local divinity.

It could be, however, proposed as an organizational measure but should benefit every other region as well. I think it is somewhat showing that this Act wants to get a privilege within Atlasia without checking it in front of the whole Atlasian people before. The title of the act "IDS Independence Act" may be misleading. If it is what it says on the tin, then it would mean we leave Atlasia for good ?

I don't think the last times the South tried to leave the Union it turned out very well for us...
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3263 on: November 05, 2012, 03:56:58 PM »

This act is merely a request that we have our own regional sub-board so our stuff is organized and not lost amidst the business of the other regions. Purely ceremonial, and purely beneficial. I would assume the other regions would do the same if we actually got one.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #3264 on: November 05, 2012, 06:06:37 PM »

I support the proposal's intent and structure; it would be great if each region had its own forum. However, I feel currently opposed to this bill on a technicality.

While Dave is very responsive when it comes to general Atlas inquiries, we all know that he is not very active - even downright unresponsive - when it comes to forum modifications, changes and the like. In the (probably unlikely) event that such a forum were created, it would most likely stand that way indefinitely without modification.

This thereby would crystallize 'The Imperial Dominion of the South' as the official name of the region now and forever, which is something that I simply cannot support.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3265 on: November 05, 2012, 07:28:27 PM »

I support the proposal's intent and structure; it would be great if each region had its own forum. However, I feel currently opposed to this bill on a technicality.

While Dave is very responsive when it comes to general Atlas inquiries, we all know that he is not very active - even downright unresponsive - when it comes to forum modifications, changes and the like. In the (probably unlikely) event that such a forum were created, it would most likely stand that way indefinitely without modification.

This thereby would crystallize 'The Imperial Dominion of the South' as the official name of the region now and forever, which is something that I simply cannot support.

Nothing wrong with doing that. Regions rarely change names anyway.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3266 on: November 05, 2012, 07:29:37 PM »

And your proposed alternative is...?
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #3267 on: November 05, 2012, 08:54:56 PM »

Nothing wrong with doing that. Regions rarely change names anyway.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe there are technically two recognized names still on the books ("The Imperial Dominion of the South" & "Dirty South"). I was also thinking there was another variation in use at some point, but I cannot seem to find any documentation suggesting such. Regardless, this - when compared across the entirety of Atlasian history - has been the most unstable region and due to such, I believe the proposed board should have a more generic moniker. Which leads to...

"The South"? Or perhaps I should come up with a more nuanced alternative?
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3268 on: November 06, 2012, 02:25:10 AM »
« Edited: November 06, 2012, 03:11:23 AM by Ben Kenobi »

Mr. Speaker, I must admit my surprise at the 100 percent partisan vote.

I support the bill as worded. More regional autonomy is a good thing.

Since it doesn't seem that anyone is amenable to debate, we should just vote and move on.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3269 on: November 06, 2012, 02:26:44 AM »
« Edited: November 06, 2012, 03:12:18 AM by Ben Kenobi »

Mr. Speaker, I must address the honourable member from the genial state of Georgia. Once the South was proud of her heritage. Now it might as well just be another region of atlasia.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #3270 on: November 06, 2012, 04:09:04 AM »

I believe that a bit more time should be allocated to allow our fifth Legislator the chance to express his concerns and questions. Generally speaking, a 48-hour period for discussion is not an unreasonable amount of time to allocate for even a simple proposal if there is dissent. The co-Speaker can weigh in on this and if he wishes, can go ahead and open this up for a vote.

Perhaps my '?' made it appear as if I was merely being facetious, but if the following amendment were accepted as friendly I will be in full support:

As I said, I support the intent. From a mechanics perspective, The South has existed for 8 years. The Imperial Dominion of the South has existed for 2 1/2 years. The Dirty South has existed for 3 years. This forum could very well be around 8 years from now, and it would be possible that future Atlasians would be stuck with a regional forum that has a name out of sync with the actual name of the region if it were to change. This region has always attracted those who bring - in my opinion - a higher statistical likelihood of enacting such reforms.

In regards to the Legislator from Texas' suggestions that partisanship is behind dissenting opinions, that simply isn't true. The only possible correlation I could imagine would be that his party and national name happen to have the same word in them. I would remind the Legislator that the party name was derived from the region's name, and not the other way around. Also, I am not advocating for the other allowed name (Dirty South) in opposition. I simply want a generic title for the proposed forum that will maintain a constant relevance.

The only aspects of partisanship I see pertain to your oh-so-cute defiance in pretending that I am not an equal part Speaker in this chamber. Act as you please, but it does not change the reality of the situation.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3271 on: November 06, 2012, 06:39:13 AM »

Mr. Speaker, I'd like to address the honourable member from the glorious state of Georgia.

Couple things here. One, I have been a member of the RPPs (and left), of the Whigs (and left), and now of the current Imperial party. They did not require that I switch party affiliations in order to join (in fact I think they would have preferred if I remained a whig).

I have no desire to inscribe the name of the party on the region. I would happily serve as a Whig legislator, but I felt that it would be gauche to not be a member of the same party that invited me to participate.

If the issue is that you would like to see a neutral name used for the region - then I have no problems supporting that amendment to the legislation, say to the South as you have suggested.

I don't see any reason this particular bill has to be partisan at all. I'd love to get some business done here on something where you don't have to compromise your ideals.

Would this be an acceptable compromise? 
Zanas
Zanas46
France

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3272 on: November 07, 2012, 09:22:22 PM »

As I said earlier, I don't think the name of the bill reflects what it's really about, but then again the name of the bill isn't what is being enforced afterwards. I am in favor of the Act as amended by the other Legislator form Georgia, Mr Co-Speaker. (I am enlisted in Georgia too Wink)

I think we could ask the Emperor to transmit a copy of our bill to his other regions' counterparts as they may want to pass similar acts in their respective legislatures.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #3273 on: November 07, 2012, 11:21:44 PM »

Mr. Speaker, I'd like to address the honourable member from the glorious state of Georgia.

Couple things here. One, I have been a member of the RPPs (and left), of the Whigs (and left), and now of the current Imperial party. They did not require that I switch party affiliations in order to join (in fact I think they would have preferred if I remained a whig).

I have no desire to inscribe the name of the party on the region. I would happily serve as a Whig legislator, but I felt that it would be gauche to not be a member of the same party that invited me to participate.

If the issue is that you would like to see a neutral name used for the region - then I have no problems supporting that amendment to the legislation, say to the South as you have suggested.

I don't see any reason this particular bill has to be partisan at all. I'd love to get some business done here on something where you don't have to compromise your ideals.

Would this be an acceptable compromise? 

Yes.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3274 on: November 08, 2012, 04:22:23 AM »

I'd be fine with calling this new board "the South". The old name was actually the "Southeast", which I always hated, as it seemed like an attempt to dissociate the region from its proud history and turn it into something generic. I usually abbreviate Imperial Dominion of the South as "IDS", but I've also used "South" from time to time.

As for "Dirty South", that name is only actually used in statute specifying that it is a legally acceptable alternative to the Constitutional name. Maybe we should amend the regional Constitution to state as much. I was thinking that Article V looks kind of bare compared to the other articles of our Constitution. That amendment would fit great there.
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 128 129 130 [131] 132 133 134 135 136 ... 170  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies