Forward? – A 2012 Election Game (Sign Up and Rules Thread) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 01:25:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Forward? – A 2012 Election Game (Sign Up and Rules Thread) (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Forward? – A 2012 Election Game (Sign Up and Rules Thread)  (Read 32674 times)
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« on: January 01, 2018, 03:06:27 PM »

Lumine, what would you think about Stanley McChrystal challenging Obama?
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 04:41:13 PM »

Lumine, what would you think about Stanley McChrystal challenging Obama?

It's a fascinating concept, Dkrol, but I'm not sure it would be very realistic for General McChrystal to suddenly jump into the presidential campaign a year after being fired. Any chance an alternate GOP or Dem candidate would be of your taste?

I've come across three article encouraging a Clarence Thomas run in 2012. I think that would be terribly fun, if you'd allow it. If not, I'll take Hillary Clinton.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/06/11/AR2010061103249_2.html
https://blogs.wsj.com/law/2010/06/11/clarence-thomas-for-president-two-writers-make-the-case/
http://reason.com/blog/2010/06/14/clarence-thomas-for-president
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 05:02:08 PM »

Wow, I had no idea there had been speculation about Thomas. Still, I'd prefer it if you take Clinton, it would give us a well rounded Democratic field.

Deal. Me. In.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2018, 07:22:56 PM »

CLINTON LAUNCHES CAMPAIGN ON ROOSEVELT ISLAND
- Campaign Communications Director Jennifer Palmieri -

Senator Hillary Clinton (D-NY) officially launched her campaign for President of the United States of America today, ending years of speculation. A video was posted on YouTube a few days before the speech, featuring a dozen Americans explaining the challenges they face in their day-to-day lives, followed by Senator Clinton pledging to work to address those challenges and improve life for all Americans. Speaking to a massive crowd on New York's Roosevelt Island, Senator Clinton formally announced what the video suggested: she's running for President.

Restoring pride in America was the top issue for the Senator, who told the crowd, "I supported President Obama in 2008, I know a lot of you did as well. I like President Obama, I really do. But he has not fulfilled his promise of hope and change. Unfortunately, it's been more like hope to find some change under the couch." The failure of the economy to rebound from the Great Recession was also discussed, with Senator Clinton saying, "there are homes across the country where single mothers are working two or three jobs to keep the heat on, where dads have had to take on an extra shift at the plant to put food on the table, where adult children have come back home because they can't afford rent. These voices have been forgotten about by this President, their cries falling on deaf ears, muted by the needs of Wall Street."

Senator Clinton also provided several specific policies she would implement if elected that would "provide more than lip-service to the millions of struggling Americans". To respond to skyrocketing gas prices, the Senator proposed a gas tax holiday from Memorial Day to Labor Day, a plan which she championed with Senator John McCain (R-AZ) in 2008. To respond to the shortcomings of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, Senator Clinton promised to bring down out-of-pocket costs to "make sure that everyone can see a doctor without worrying about being about to afford the co-pay", as well as working with pharmaceutical companies to bring down the high markup on prescription drugs. Senator Clinton also proposed an immigration reform package that included keeping families together, giving women and children special considerations in the process, and "treating everyone like human beings."

Senator Clinton was joined on the Roosevelt Island platform by her husband, former President Bill Clinton, her daughter, Chelsea Clinton, and her son-in-law, Marc Mezvinsky. After the speech, Senator Clinton formally opened the campaign's first office, in Brooklyn, and announced the campaign's senior leadership. Former White House Chief of Staff John Podesta has been hired as Campaign Chairman. Jennifer Palmieri, former Press Secretary for the John Edwards 2004 campaign, will serve as Communications Director. Longtime aid to Senator Clinton Huma Abedin has been announced as the Senator's campaign Chief of Staff. Robby Mook rounds out the top four staffers as Chief Strategist.

DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2018, 10:19:07 PM »

Fine then, can I be Ron Estes, Kansas State Treasurer?

Sorry, but it can't be Estes either, a State Treasurer as candidate would not exactly be relevant.

Fine, Lt Gov Jeff Colyer of KS.

Same problem. I'd recommend following New Tennessean Politician's suggestion, or selecting a political with a a similar office or influence.

Fine, you know I just wanted to be the underdog and rise up but ok. If you don't accept this one, i honestly just don't know man, does Saxby Chambliss work?

No State Treasurer or Lietenant Governor has ever run for President with any kind of success. In fact, I can't even kind an example of a State Treasurer or Lieutenant Governor even running for President.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 12:53:15 PM »

Does the turn end sometime this evening?
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 01:33:51 PM »

Shouldn't it end at 1 AM on the 9th? Not that I care whether it ends at 1 AM on the 9th or the vening of the 9th, I just need confirmation I haven't lost the basic ability to add.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2018, 02:36:45 PM »

Shouldn't it end at 1 AM on the 9th? Not that I care whether it ends at 1 AM on the 9th or the vening of the 9th, I just need confirmation I haven't lost the basic ability to add.

Strictly speaking it should, but I know one month turns are hard (even though I am convinced they make the games better by not having to play for weeks until the primaries arrive), so I'll be giving a few extra hours. It's also easier for me, it allows me to use today to update Alea Jacta Est to focus on Forward tomorrow.

Fantastic.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2018, 06:47:08 PM »

Much like with Nick Clegg in the UK game, I'm starting to get worried how much more I now know about Chris Christie, and how much I like him.

I'm starting to feel like a method actor.

I started reading What Happened when I came in as Hillary. You're not the only one.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2018, 02:26:26 PM »
« Edited: January 11, 2018, 02:29:38 PM by DKrol »

There's no way Breseden's schedule could be done. 28 states  (56% of the country) in 7 days? Also, events in 7 states in one day? (November 18)
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2018, 05:35:44 PM »

To be rather pedantic, having someone with only a handful of posts jump in as a major player this late in the campaign is unfair to the other players who've put in lots of work into their campaigns.

On that subject will have my campaign stuff posted in the next couple of hours

That is also a fair point, which is why I try to be careful with which characters are allowed. Would you suggest just leaving Obama out as having decided not to run for that second term?

I think that's fair.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2018, 12:17:46 AM »

I think we've decided to have Obama drop out.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2018, 11:24:53 AM »

Can the turn not be extended anymore? Just let Biden come in next turn.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2018, 06:18:31 PM »

my question is why nobody is choosing Sanders? Wouldn't he be Clinton's biggest threat and thus sink her in the polls in some states?

Sanders was a factor among progressives, but not among the national electorate until 2015 as far as I can tell. If he was a candidate he wouldn't be polling more than 10% (and with Feingold in he'd poll far less).

Biden, while not as popular as he would become later, would be a far stronger candidate, the strongest possible alternative to Clinton in this context.

In September of 2015, after campaigning for nearly six months, polls showed that nearly 40% of Americans didn't know enough about Bernie to make a judgement. Bernie needed a long, drawn-out primary process in order to up his name recognition to levels needed to even come close to challenging Hillary. Bernie would have had to join at the start of the game to have a chance.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2018, 07:05:45 PM »

I demand my respons to Bredesen be counted despite them being technically late. It is 100% unfair to post a debate rebuttal with literally 9 minutes left in the turn and not allow me to respond.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2018, 07:08:51 PM »

I demand my respons to Bredesen be counted despite them being technically late. It is 100% unfair to post a debate rebuttal with literally 9 minutes left in the turn and not allow me to respond.

I had written it far earlier (at 5:30) but I saw I never posted it and it just happened that it was that time when I posted it. I actually never intended it to be unfair.

Did Breitbart hack your account and make you not post it until the last possible moment?
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2018, 07:16:02 PM »

Lol, it was a joke. Some OOC friendly ribbing.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2018, 10:48:49 PM »

Is there a debate this turn?
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2018, 10:55:10 PM »

Sent a PM with endorsements.

Also, could we get a poll of the Florida Primary for both parties in the next update?

We already have them.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2018, 07:26:56 AM »

I'm opposed to an extension. This turn has already been longer than 72 hours.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2018, 09:31:19 AM »

The turns been over for 12 hours.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2018, 09:19:00 PM »

When he's done with it.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2018, 10:32:53 PM »

The Des Moines Register/Union Leader endorsements?
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2018, 06:36:51 PM »

Lumine said he's not recognizing people's attendance claims.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2018, 08:33:22 AM »

Panetta endorsing and campaigning with Clark is certainly edging on a Hatch Act violation.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies