Swedish election, 2018: Political Impasse, Löfven loses confidence vote (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 03:10:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Swedish election, 2018: Political Impasse, Löfven loses confidence vote (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
S (Social Democrats)

M (Moderate)

SD (Swedish Democrats)

C (Centre)

MP (Green)

V (Left)

L (Liberals)

KD (Christian Democrats)

FI (Feminist)

Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 170

Author Topic: Swedish election, 2018: Political Impasse, Löfven loses confidence vote  (Read 75508 times)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« on: January 03, 2018, 07:29:31 PM »

Are KD doomed, or are they the sort of party that has Avery resilient core?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 11:23:28 AM »
« Edited: September 25, 2018, 03:27:30 AM by ¢®🅰ß 🦀 ©@k€ 🎂 »

?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 11:56:53 AM »

Ha, I meant to put this on IP; but I guess it can be used for the actual election.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure the S led faction will win (Nordics often break towards their government, and they're not polling that badly). The big thing will be whether MP (and KD?) get back in.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2018, 04:34:12 PM »

I mean, the DPP has also split a rightist formation. Surprised Norwegian Progress hasn't also done so by now.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2018, 09:46:35 AM »

SAP are currently pledging to abolish all religious schools, which I assume is mainly to target madrassas without looking racist.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2018, 04:53:45 AM »

I think it's because most religious schools in Sweden are relatively new (a product of the charter movement), but the one Jewish school law is protected by the rules of sui generis.

Basically they're being effectively closed by a pincer. The government will close off public funding for them (as exists in some countries already) but there isn't really any alternative sources of funding because the Swedish government already bans fee-paying full time education for under 18s? I could be totally wrong there.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2018, 05:20:40 AM »

there isn't really any alternative sources of funding because the Swedish government already bans fee-paying full time education for under 18s? I could be totally wrong there.

Now there's a good idea

Totally in agreement there, although it would cause a shockwave amongst the British middle class if it was ever applied here.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2018, 12:52:36 PM »

https://www.thelocal.se/20180504/swedish-social-democrats-aim-to-halve-refugee-numbers

Social Democratic aim to halve refugee numbers.

I guess a resumption of the Green-Red coalition is out of the question?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2018, 01:58:47 PM »

I wonder, given the collapse of Alliance; is SAP making overtures to Centre, the Liberals etc to see if they don't mind supporting a Social Democratic government? A SAP-Centre government with outside support from the Liberals and Greens could probably be viable numerically (although I don't know about politically).
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2018, 08:08:23 AM »

I'm going to say - Swedes can correct me if I'm wrong - that a minority government is far, far, far more likely than any cross-bloc coalition.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2018, 07:44:40 AM »

I believe there's some kind of Islamic party that could get a decent 1% of the vote from diehards. There's also an animal rights party, and that sort of single issue party often gets a surprising amount of votes (from people who are like "I don't like politics much and politicians are all crooks, but animals are cute I guess").
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2018, 09:42:44 AM »

If SAP do badly and if the rural/urban trends seen a lot nowadays manifest themselves in Sweden, could we see the solid red north of Sweden start to turn blue or yellow?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2018, 07:37:36 AM »

Swedish precedent would suggest the government makes up lost ground in the coming weeks, so I think they'll take a narrow first place. That said I wonder if this will ironically hurt the chance of a left government - if people tempted to lend a vote to MP to ensure they don't fall sub-threshold instead park their vote in SAP to stop SD declaring a symbolic "victory", we could see more wasted votes on the Left.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2018, 01:03:01 PM »

Swedish precedent would suggest the government makes up lost ground in the coming weeks, so I think they'll take a narrow first place.

Why do you expect this election to follow the normal pattern?

Naive belief in precedent: I admit it's not much though.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2018, 04:06:06 PM »

I think it's a mixture of both. It would be naive to deny the influence of immigration on such crimes, but I highly doubt there were only 500 sex attacks in the whole of Sweden in 1975.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2018, 01:06:07 PM »

Do V aim to participate in government one day?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2018, 12:36:57 PM »

This voting method is ridiculous. You basically have to take all the parties' ballots to the booth if you want to make sure no-one knows how you voted.

France has a similar system iirc.

So do The Gambia, but they use marbles, which is a cute idea.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2018, 09:57:06 AM »

In response to the previous discussion, Sweden is probably moving towards a more social issue driven political divide. I expect elements of the centre-right will eventually end up with the centre-left while the rest of the right joins with the far-right. But we're not there yet.

It looks like everyone is going to manage to stay in parliament, Red-Green get small plurality and then we get really messy government formation.

Agreed.

If the Left parties were to move to a more conservative stance on immigration/integration and such issues (that the majority of the population would probably support), they could stop the growing support for the right.

If they do nothing, they're just blowing up the bubble, which at some point will pop.

I mean, S in Denmark also did that and the DPP are just as powerful as ever.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2018, 03:17:15 PM »

Is there any chance that the Liberals or Centre will break from the Alliance to prop up a SAP government?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2018, 02:34:22 PM »

Why is the Centre Party so anti-SD anyway? Are farmers in Sweden just really woke?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2018, 01:00:29 PM »

Did the Feminist Initiative lose all its regional and municipal seats?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2018, 09:05:49 AM »

The average Swedish voter will care about things that will be largely irrelevant to a foreign observer on atlas - concrete things like the conditions in the local hospital or whatever, rather than less tangible concepts that appear in overseas news.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2019, 07:42:35 AM »

Can we change the title of this thread?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies