Huntsman: Earth not flat; Christie: Sun does not revolve around Earth (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 03:38:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Huntsman: Earth not flat; Christie: Sun does not revolve around Earth (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Huntsman: Earth not flat; Christie: Sun does not revolve around Earth  (Read 11190 times)
Linus Van Pelt

« on: August 22, 2011, 03:06:38 PM »

wow, those are some eye-opening stats, esp this table:

basically the opposite of what I have seen, though maybe my perception is off because my career has been spent in energy and finance.

If you follow the link this appears to be a poll of AAAS members, which tends to mean actual scientific researchers with PhD's. If you polled, say, engineers, doctors, geologists (oil/mining, not univ.), etc., with a BS or MS, you'd get very different results. Research scientists tend to be very Democratic, even though many other professionals who use science are Republican.

The reasons for this are complex; partially it has to do with economic status (researchers are more likely to be dependent on government funding and working for non-profits, other science professionals are highly white-collar/private sector/non-union, which is a very GOP combo), and partially it has to do with the complicated way in which science intersects with culture and public policy. There is a certain combination of engineering and technical expertise with disbelief in evolution by natural selection or anthropogenic climate change that is actually quite common among well-educated evangelicals but almost unknown among researchers.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies