Should Hillary Clinton run again in 2020?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 10:42:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Should Hillary Clinton run again in 2020?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Hillary 2020?
Yes
No
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Should Hillary Clinton run again in 2020?  (Read 3530 times)
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2017, 11:14:36 AM »

There's no way. The Clintons called in every favor they ever owed to get through this last round and choked. If she entered the race this time, it'd be without all the advantages she had in the previous cycle, tangible and intangible (like coming off of a very successful term as Secretary of State).

No one is going to get out of the race for her, either. If this happens, she'd be one of the 15 or so Dems running, and probably not even an initial frontrunner.

I'd argue that if she were to get in the 2020 primaries with all the potential dem candidates, she'd probably be a close third behind Sanders and Biden. A winnable race if she played her cards right, but no where near as easy as 2016 was.
Panhandle Progressive
politicaljunkie
United States

« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2017, 02:43:18 PM »
« Edited: September 29, 2017, 03:31:31 PM by President Pence? Rly? »

There's no way. The Clintons called in every favor they ever owed to get through this last round and choked. If she entered the race this time, it'd be without all the advantages she had in the previous cycle, tangible and intangible (like coming off of a very successful term as Secretary of State).

No one is going to get out of the race for her, either. If this happens, she'd be one of the 15 or so Dems running, and probably not even an initial frontrunner.

I'd argue that if she were to get in the 2020 primaries with all the potential dem candidates, she'd probably be a close third behind Sanders and Biden. A winnable race if she played her cards right, but no where near as easy as 2016 was.

I'd argue Democrats need a youthful and vibrant (but experienced) candidate to nominate in 2020 and lead us into the future. Look at the last two winning Democratic presidents...Clinton elected at 46 yrs old and Obama at 47 yrs old. #imwithnewsom who turns 50 in a few weeks. Close enough for me. Sorry Californians, you gotta take one for the team. Wink
Liberalrocks
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2017, 02:48:30 PM »

Yes, but I doubt she will at this point. Although as we are all quite aware of now strange things can happen in politics.

Just as in the past when people defined the Clintons as dead unelectable and unrevivable....
DK_Mo82
Rookie
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2017, 04:31:50 PM »

The book actualy indicates it is not likely she runs again. If she was keeping the door open it would have been a more apologetic and positive tone. If you actually read the book it is like "Putin is superhuman evil" and "Bernie didn't care if I lost to Trump." If she wanted to run again she would want to speak more about how she failed people and what she learned about how to do the campaigning better. Compare to Mitt romney's book "No Apology" from between 2008 and 2012 campaigns Obama's first term.

Not that I recommend these books. They're not worth reading besides reading between lines to see what the pol might be thinking.
JonHawk
JHawk
Rookie

« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2017, 12:59:44 AM »

Her ego wants her to run so her knows.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2017, 06:05:05 AM »

If she or the Democrats wants to hand Trump a second term, then yes. Democrats would deserve a loss if they nominate her again.
NoTrump
Rookie
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2017, 08:08:44 PM »

No! Sad Not after losing to him! Sad
Kleine Scheiße
PeteHam
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.16, S: -1.74

P P

« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2017, 08:15:17 PM »

We may as well nominate Raven Symone

2020 vision into the future
The Undefeatable Debbie Stabenow
slightlyburnttoast
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -5.43

P P
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2017, 10:15:54 PM »
« Edited: September 30, 2017, 10:20:11 PM by slightlyburnttoast »

Although I think there is some truth to her being desperate for the presidency, not for one second do I believe she has even remotely considered running again in 2020 and I honestly can't believe some people think she will. She may be power-hungry, but she isn't completely delusional. She wouldn't win the primary if any remotely top-tier candidate was competing against her - and this is from someone who liked her most than most last year.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2017, 10:20:31 PM »

The last presidential candidate who came back from the wilderness to win the White House was Richard Nixon in 1968 -and he was still short of sixty years of age. 

Hillary Clinton has had her chance, and I think she knows it. 
Possiblymaybe
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2017, 09:33:36 AM »

Although I think there is some truth to her being desperate for the presidency, not for one second do I believe she has even remotely considered running again in 2020 and I honestly can't believe some people think she will. She may be power-hungry, but she isn't completely delusional. She wouldn't win the primary if any remotely top-tier candidate was competing against her - and this is from someone who liked her most than most last year.
60+ GOP Seats After 2018 GUARANTEED
ahugecat

« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2017, 10:34:36 AM »

She'll flirt in 2019 like Romney did, then get immediately shut down.

Not only is she desperate, but apparently she still has a lot of influence? WTF? The loss to Trump should have thrown her in the wilderness forever? But it won't be enough influence to get even 2 Superdelegates in 2020.

So my bet is she flirts with it, announces she's "considering it," Democrats will panic and the media will go crazy, then in early 2019 drops out like Romney. It'll be the prelude to the (crazy) 2020 primaries.
60+ GOP Seats After 2018 GUARANTEED
ahugecat

« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2017, 10:37:14 AM »

The last presidential candidate who came back from the wilderness to win the White House was Richard Nixon in 1968 -and he was still short of sixty years of age. 

Hillary Clinton has had her chance, and I think she knows it. 

Not to mention that Nixon was a VP (Secretary of State is great and all, but not VP) and also lost a close race to a popular candidate.

Clinton lost to TRUMP. People will point out the popular vote, but that's refuted by "SHE LOST TO TRUMP!"
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2017, 11:00:15 AM »

I agree with the above.  I do wonder if Hillary would be more appealing WITHOUT the gross advantages she had in 2016.

Everyone loves an underdog.  No one likes an establishment-picked candidate, especially one for whom the decks were conspicuously cleared.  If she is, indeed, vindicated over the e-mail/Clinton Foundation stuff over time, she MAY be more palatable as a candidate.  Everyone who voted for her in 2016 will vote for her in 2020 and there may well be folks in WI, PA, and MI with buyers remorse over Trump that had been Democratic voters prior.  I doubt that will happen however, and if it did, Hillary would screw it up by playing the "victim" card.  "Victims" get hugs, sympathy, and consolation prizes, but they don't get 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies