Japan Oct 22 2017 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 11:13:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Japan Oct 22 2017 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Japan Oct 22 2017  (Read 42913 times)
XSandion
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -5.57

« on: October 22, 2017, 07:36:33 PM »

Anyone know why 高知2区 (Kouchi 2) flipped? Looking at its history it has been a solid LDP seat even in 2009, so the rather easy independent victory seems out of place.

XSandion
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -5.57

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 08:00:31 PM »

Anyone know why 高知2区 (Kouchi 2) flipped? Looking at its history it has been a solid LDP seat even in 2009, so the rather easy independent victory seems out of place.

Sure.  I call that district correctly so I will give you my reasons to call it that way.  First, HP CDP and JCP all vacated the seat to allowed the united opposition independent to run so he can take on the LDP 1-on-1.  Second this independent was a two term member (for the DPJ) of the Upper House representing 高知(Kouchi) until 2016.  He did not run for re-election last year since his 高知(Kouchi) seat  merged with 徳島(Tokushima) which is a lot more pro-LDP and he knew he would lose to the LDP candidate.  So he has a track record of winning in 高知(Kouchi) giving him name recognition and an edge over the LDP incumbent.
Thanks, that makes sense. I noticed he'd been a councillor, but didn't occur to me quite how big the boost that'd give him was.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies