Japan Oct 22 2017 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 10:17:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Japan Oct 22 2017 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Japan Oct 22 2017  (Read 42910 times)
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« on: October 22, 2017, 04:41:46 PM »

HP should take the blame for this fiasco, as they were the group who split the DP up.

Yes.  But once HP was formed what actually took place might have been one of the more optimal situation to fight against LDP-KP.  Having a separate HP and CDP PR list allowed the DP Right and DP Left  a reason to come out to vote.  In many but not all the battleground seats they got it down to at worse LDP vs HP vs JCP or LDP vs CDP.  At least they mostly avoided LDP vs HP vs CDP, LDP vs CDP vs JCP, and the most disastrous LDP vs HP vs CDP vs JCP in competitive races.

Had most races devolved into LDP vs HP vs CDP then LDP itself would have gotten over 300 seats with this turnout pattern.

If it's so optimal why is their talk of "DP Right" (may as well just be called the Right, given the party they've merged into) slithering back to the CDP, and what will become of the CDP's electoral alliances in such a scenario.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 05:30:03 PM »

Primarily because of the success of the CDP in this election, which will bring a lot of the others who left the DP for the HP, mostly because they thought a Koike party would do better than the DP would have, back into the fold. It is a good question should a merger like that go through what will come of the pacts and alliances with the other parties of the left, and at this point, I'm not sure. I would hope and it would make the most since for the CDP to be pretty stringent about their demands and rules for joining.

F**king forum just swallowed my post.

As I was saying - I understand the motivations of those who were all too happy to leave the remnants who now make up the CDP high-and-dry wanting to worm their way into the Next Big Thing, but as I understand from the above Jaichind post, the current coalitions are optimal for energising their bases and limiting opposition splits. With this in mind I don't understand why the CDP would allow them in - even if they were to pledge support for their current policies (ignoring they pledged the opposite to be allowed into Hope).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies