From 2018 To Beyond: Starting with Detailed 2018 Election Night Coverage
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 11:26:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  From 2018 To Beyond: Starting with Detailed 2018 Election Night Coverage
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 13
Author Topic: From 2018 To Beyond: Starting with Detailed 2018 Election Night Coverage  (Read 24516 times)
Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: September 30, 2018, 11:36:38 PM »
« edited: October 01, 2018, 09:29:38 AM by Cruz Will Win 👁 »

8:00 PM EST: POLLS CLOSE IN AL, CT, DC, DE, IL, MA, MD, ME, MI, MO, MS, NH, NJ, OK, PA, RI, TN, AND TX

The Commencement of the Deluge, by William Westall

November 6, 2018, 8:00 PM EST: ELECTION NIGHT, CNN Headquarters, Washington D.C.
CNN: THE SITUATION ROOM - CNN'S ELECTION DAY HEADQUARTERS

Wolf Blitzer: "Polls closing now in 17 states and the District of Columbia! My lungs are about to get a workout. That's right, we can make characterizations of more KEY RACES!"

Wolf Blitzer: "Based on our exit polls, we can project that Democrat Chris Murphy will WIN the Senate race in Connecticut."

Wolf Blitzer: "Based on our exit polls, we can project that Democrat Tom Carper will WIN the Senate race in Delaware."

Wolf Blitzer: "Based on our exit polls, we can project that Democrat Elizabeth Warren will WIN the Senate race in Massachusetts."

Wolf Blitzer: "Based on our exit polls, we can project that Democrat Ben Cardin will WIN the Senate race in Maryland."

Wolf Blitzer: "Based on our exit polls, we can project that Independent Democrat Angus King will WIN the Senate race in Maine."

Wolf Blitzer: "Based on our exit polls, we can project that Democrat Debbie Stabenow will WIN the Senate race in Michigan."

Wolf Blitzer: "Based on our exit polls, we can project that the Senate race in Missouri is TOO CLOSE TO CALL."

Wolf Blitzer: "Based on our exit polls, we can project that the Senate race in Mississippi is TOO EARLY TO CALL. Also, if all candidates get under 50% of the vote, it goes to a runoff. Whether the race goes to a runoff is TOO CLOSE TO CALL."

Wolf Blitzer: "Based on our exit polls, we can project that the Senate race in New Jersey is TOO EARLY TO CALL."

Wolf Blitzer: "Based on our exit polls, we can project that the Senate race in Pennsylvania is TOO EARLY TO CALL."

Wolf Blitzer: "Based on our exit polls, we can project that Democrat Sheldon Whitehouse will WIN the Senate race in Rhode Island."

Wolf Blitzer: "Based on our exit polls, we can project that the Senate race in Tennessee is TOO CLOSE TO CALL."

Wolf Blitzer: "Based on our exit polls, we can project that the Senate race in Texas is TOO EARLY TO CALL."

Wolf Blitzer: "Based on our exit polls, we can characterize the Gubernatorial race in Alabama as TOO EARLY TO CALL."

Wolf Blitzer: "Based on our exit polls, we can characterize the Gubernatorial race in Connecticut as TOO CLOSE TO CALL."

Wolf Blitzer: "Based on our exit polls, we can project that Democrat J.B. Pritzker will WIN the Gubernatorial race in Illinois."

Wolf Blitzer: "Based on our exit polls, we can characterize the Gubernatorial race in Massachusetts as TOO EARLY TO CALL."

Wolf Blitzer: "Based on our exit polls, we can characterize the Gubernatorial race in Maryland as TOO CLOSE TO CALL."

Wolf Blitzer: "Based on our exit polls, we can characterize the Gubernatorial race in Maine as TOO CLOSE TO CALL."

Wolf Blitzer: "Based on our exit polls, we can characterize the Gubernatorial race in Mighican as TOO EARLY TO CALL."

Wolf Blitzer: "Based on our exit polls, we can characterize the Gubernatorial race in New Hampshire as TOO CLOSE TO CALL."

Wolf Blitzer: "Based on our exit polls, we can characterize the Gubernatorial race in Oklahoma as TOO CLOSE TO CALL."

Wolf Blitzer: "Based on our exit polls, we can project that Democrat Tom Wolf will WIN the Gubernatorial race in Pennsylvania."

Wolf Blitzer: "Based on our exit polls, we can characterize the Gubernatorial race in Rhode Island as TOO CLOSE TO CALL."

Wolf Blitzer: "Based on our exit polls, we can characterize the Gubernatorial race in Tennessee as TOO EARLY TO CALL."

Wolf Blitzer: "Based on our exit polls, we can characterize the Gubernatorial race in Texas as TOO EARLY TO CALL."

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Senate Results and Exit Polls:

Senate seats called: 1 D --- 0 R

Gubernatorial Results and Exit Polls:

Governorships called: 0 D --- 0 R

[/quote]
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #101 on: September 30, 2018, 11:37:11 PM »

8:00 PM EST: POLLS CLOSE IN AL, CT, DC, DE, IL, MA, MD, ME, MI, MO, MS, NH, NJ, OK, PA, RI, TN, AND TX ... (CONTINUED) ...

John King: "Wow, what a huge number of Governor's races in particular, too close to call. And the Senate, still hanging on a thread. Indiana, very close. Missouri and Tennessee, very close in the exit polls. Texas also, too early to call, but Ted Cruz with a lead in the exit polls."

John King: "And my gosh, would you look at some of these exit polls for the House races? Tossups in IL-06, IL-14 in Chicagoland. But Democrats not doing so well in downstate Illinois, IL-17 was thought to be safe for Cheri Bustos, but the exit poll is tied. There has even been some talk about her being Speaker of the House for Democrats if Pelosi doesn't have the votes, but could lose! Very unexpected!"

John King: "Another tossup in ME-02, rural Maine where President Trump won in 2016. Democrats could get some pickups in Michigan, by the looks of it. NH-01, tossup. New Jersey, we're probably looking at some Democratic pickups, but also a close race in NJ-02. That's a surprise, it's one of the races Democrats were expecting to pick up easily, but Trump did fairly well there for New Jersey. Steve Russell up comfortably in the OK-05 exit poll. There had been some talk that it might be competitive, but it's not at least in the exit poll. Quite a few good exit polls for Democrats in Pennsylvania, but that has been somewhat expected after the Congressional map was redrawn recently under a court order from the Pennsylvania State Supreme Court. Still, maybe worse than expected in Pennsylvania for Republicans. But would you look at Texas? Not just TX-07 and TX-32, but it looks like quite a few other Republican held seats in Suburban areas of Texas could be in real danger. Before Trump, all those seats were considered rock solid Republican."

John King: "Now everyone, keep in mind that exit polls are like other polls. They have error and are not always completely accurate. But wow, some real shockers in there."
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #102 on: October 01, 2018, 07:09:48 AM »

When did Whitehouse move to Michigan? Wink
Junior Chimp

« Reply #103 on: October 01, 2018, 08:12:59 AM »

I'm ready to call Donnelly the Winner in Indiana. He has a 25K Vote lead with only 4% left to report. That seems awfully big to overcome.

In FL-GOV Gillums extremism seems to hurt him.
Glad that Scott has now pulled into the lead in the FL-SEN Race.

SC-GOV reminds me of the Nikki Haley vs Vincent Sheheen Race 2010. Haley won in the end 51-47.  McMaster has closed the gap as the vote came in. I would put him now a Favourite to win this.

And I'm going on a limb and say that these MA, NH, MD GOV Exits are off in a very bad way. MA will not be that close in the end.

CT-GOV is somewhat of a surprise that they can't call it at Poll Closing. I thought Lamont would walk away with this.

On the House VA 2 (Rep. Scott Taylor) & VA 10 (Rep. Barbara Comstock) unless some dramtic things happening seem to be GONERS to me. On the other side Rep. Dave Brat (VA-7) doing much better than expected. Also VA-5 (Garrett retired) the Republican Candidate doing well there.

MO-SEN, TN-SEN are close as expected. Democrats have to run the table in the Senate if they want to get it.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #104 on: October 01, 2018, 08:51:56 AM »

As a Democrat, I'm feeling pretty uneasy right now.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #105 on: October 01, 2018, 10:12:14 AM »

As a Democrat, I'm feeling pretty uneasy right now.
Why?
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #106 on: October 01, 2018, 10:53:05 AM »

It is in the nature of Democrats, having been traumatized by 2010, 2014, and 2016, to feel uneasy on election night. Wink
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #107 on: October 01, 2018, 10:53:27 AM »

Fixed, thanks.
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #108 on: October 01, 2018, 10:55:15 AM »

OK, I am probably going to drop back to 1 10-minute-update per day for a while now. That should ensure that it takes about a month to get to the end of election night at this point, where all the races are called.
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #109 on: October 01, 2018, 10:56:37 AM »

8:10 PM EST: DONNELLY CLINGS TO NARROW LEAD IN INDIANA; SHALALA TRAILS BY 20

Fight With Cudgels (between Joe Donnelly and Mike Braun), by Francisco Goya

November 6, 2018, 8:10 PM EST: ELECTION NIGHT, CNN Headquarters, Washington D.C.

John King: "Alright, back to Indiana YET AGAIN. Joe Donnelly clinging to a lead, 49.6%-49.3%, but it keeps shrinking. And we are up to 99% reporting. Just a little bit more out left to count. Regardless though, we could be looking at a recount in Indiana, if whichever candidate ends up slightly ahead requests one."

Wolf Blitzer: "My gosh, this race has been going back and forth all night. And if it goes to a recount, it could go back and forth during the recount as well. Do you have any idea if the votes left are more likely to favor Donnelly or Braun?"

John King: "Well, the thing is, most of the state is 100% reporting. But look at Hamilton County, 96% reporting. So that is a big part of what is left. There are a few other counties with some votes left as well, but not many. So a big part of the question is, where in Hamilton County are the precincts that have not yet reported? If it is the closer-in suburbs around Carmel, that may be good for Donnelly. If it is the further out exurbs, that could be good for Braun. But look, Braun is down by 4,704 votes, 780,344 to 775,640. But this is a very Republican county, at least in the past, so the votes could be there if it is from the right precincts. But don't forget, there are quite a few other precincts out scattered across the state, and we don't know where those all are."

Wolf Blitzer: "We'll be keeping a close eye on this one, and will call it as soon as we can. But right now, it is... TOO CLOSE TO CALL..."

John King: "The Senate race in Florida, too, right now very close. Republican Governor Rick Scott leads by less than 1% with 55% reporting. Look, 0% reporting from Palm Beach County so far. But also a lot of votes out in the Panhandle."

Wolf Blitzer: "That reminds me of 2000, Bush against Gore."

John King: "In West Virginia, Joe Manchin, the Democrat holding a fair 6 point lead with 49% in. Not much in yet from Missouri, Tennessee, and Texas - also key Senate races."

John King: "In the Gubernatorial races, Florida now 78% in, Andrew Gillum leading Republican Ron DeSantis by about 1 and a half points. Democrats would be elated to pick up the Florida Governor's mansion, it has been consistently Republican ever since Jeb Bush first won it in 1998. In Georgia, this has to make Republicans happy - 82% in and Brian Kemp has about a 9 point lead. But it looks like Fulton County, Atlanta, is slow to report as usual."

John King: "And here's the real shocker - South Carolina - 70% in and the Democrat James Smith is STILL ahead. In fact, his lead has even increased a bit over the past few minutes, now it is more than 5%. Even the House races there, SC-02 and SC-05, Democrats still up narrowly in both of those. If these hold up, South Carolina will probably be the biggest surprise of the night so far."

John King: "In the Ohio Governor's race, 50% in and Republican Mike Dewine leads the Democrat Richard Cordray by 14 points. Democratic hopes in Ohio so far are falling flat."

Wolf Blitzer: "Let's look some more at those house races."

Senate seats called: 5 D --- 0 R

Governorships called: 1 D --- 1 R

[/quote]

The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #110 on: October 01, 2018, 10:57:26 AM »

8:10 PM EST: DONNELLY CLINGS TO NARROW LEAD IN INDIANA; SHALALA TRAILS BY 20 (CONTINUED)

John King: "OK, we've got FL-15 and FL-18, both pretty close with 70-80% in. In FL-25, Mario Diaz-Balart still holding firm, up by 5 with 78% in. FL-26, the moderate Republican Carlos Curbelo is in major trouble - down by 9 points with 84% in. It is hard to see how he can come back at this point."

John King: "But wow, look at FL-27, Maria Elvira Salazar now up by 20 points over the Democrat Donna Shalala. I guess probably a lot of votes came in from Little Havana, and came in big for Salazar. If Salazar can hold on to that seat, it would be a big lift for Republicans. This was assumed to be one of the easiest seats for Democrats to pick up.

John King: "GA-07 now up to 89% reporting, and Carolyn Bordeaux is leading Republican incumbent Rob Woodall by about 4 points. Not impossible that Woodall could still come back, but he needs to win most of the votes that are still out. GA-06 is 78% reporting, and Republican Karen Handel is also down... but only by .4%. That race looks like it could go either way."

John King: "Back to Virginia, almost a 10 point lead for the Democrat Elaine Luria in VA-02 with 84% reporting. This is another race like GA-07 where the Republicans could still come back in theory, but it will be tough. Republicans still faring much better in VA-05 and VA-07, solid leads in both of those. And in VA-10, Barbara Comstock is being defeated by 12 to 13 points. We haven't called it yet, but I would be surprised if it lasts much longer."

John King: "For North Carolina and Ohio, still not enough in to say too much with confidence - other than that North Carolina looks surprisingly good in general for Democrats and Ohio looks just as good for republicans indeed - Democrats are not leading in a single Republican-held seat in Ohio."

Wolf Blitzer: "And we are just starting to get the first results in from states where the polls closed at 8, but very little there so far."

John King: "That's right Wolf. As all these results come in, the next hour or two looks like it is going to be very interesting indeed."
Junior Chimp

« Reply #111 on: October 01, 2018, 11:12:19 AM »

OK, I am probably going to drop back to 1 10-minute-update per day for a while now. That should ensure that it takes about a month to get to the end of election night at this point, where all the races are called.

2 per Day would be better I think.

1 x Morning
1 x Evening

Giving AZ, NV (Senate) as well as CA (House) your Election Night will probably go until 2-3 am in the Morning.
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #112 on: October 01, 2018, 11:21:15 AM »

1 x Morning
1 x Evening

Giving AZ, NV (Senate) as well as CA (House) your Election Night will probably go until 2-3 am in the Morning.

We have 36 days until election day.

Going to 2 AM is about right for when the last races (Alaska) should be called, and would take 35 more updates.

So that seems pretty close to right. We may need to double up a bit at the end, but I think it would be better to double up on later updates than the current ones. The later ones will be much more boring, because it will be just waiting for the last few votes in the last few races to come in.

Whereas right now, we are sort of at the point of maximum tension, with hundreds of races all coming in at once. And it seems like a good idea to prolong that tension and thereby prolong everyone's suffering and anxiety about how it will turn out Cheesy
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #113 on: October 01, 2018, 11:38:08 AM »

1 x Morning
1 x Evening

We have 36 days until election day.

Going to 2 AM is about right for when the last races (Alaska) should be called, and would take 35 more updates.

So that seems pretty close to right. We may need to double up a bit at the end, but I think it would be better to double up on later updates than the current ones. The later ones will be much more boring, because it will be just waiting for the last few votes in the last few races to come in.

Whereas right now, we are sort of at the point of maximum tension, with hundreds of races all coming in at once. And it seems like a good idea to prolong that tension and thereby prolong everyone's suffering and anxiety about how it will turn out Cheesy
You're cruel Sad

But this is great! Keep on going!

KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #114 on: October 01, 2018, 01:55:33 PM »

As a Dem, it's panic time
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #115 on: October 01, 2018, 03:50:47 PM »

Sc-1 would flip before Sc-5 but whatever Smith is ahead so Nut
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #116 on: October 02, 2018, 08:46:31 AM »

8:20 PM EST: 1078 VOTES IN INDIANA

Dogs fighting in a wooded clearing (Mike Braun, Joe Donnelly, and perhaps some others in different races), by Frans Snyders

November 6, 2018, 8:20 PM EST: ELECTION NIGHT, CNN Headquarters, Washington D.C.

John King: "All eyes on Indiana now, where Joe Donnelly's lead has shrunk to 1078 votes, with 99% reporting. Donnelly with 782,635, Braun with 781,557, just a .1% difference between the two of them now. Everything is now in except for 1 precinct in Porter County in Northwest Indiana, 2 in Allen County, and all the rest is just Hamilton County. The problem is, we have no idea which precincts in particular it is within each county that are left. All of these counties have precincts that voted for Clinton, but also precincts that voted for Trump."

John King: "If you are a Democrat, you are pretty worried about Joe Donnelly right now, but you're feeling a bit better about Bill Nelson in Florida. We've been getting a lot of votes in now from Broward and Palm Beach counties, and Nelson has pulled out to about an 8 point lead, with 76% reporting. 61% reporting also in West Virginia, and Joe Manchin is up comfortably by 16 points now."

John King: "We're still very early in Missouri, Tennessee, and Texas, but the Democratic candidates are leading in all 3 of those so far. This is just pretty much the very first votes in, though, the vast majority of votes still have to be counted in all those states."

John King: "In the Governor's races, the Republican Henry McMaster finally pulled ahead in South Carolina with 57% reporting, and Republicans also now lead in SC-02 and SC-05 in that state. In Florida, Democrat Andrew Gillum has expanded his lead to about 3.5%. In Georgia, Republican Brian Kemp still with a lead, down to 6 points though. But it has to be a disappointment to Stacey Abrams, being down by that much with 87% reporting. I am told, however, that there are still some votes in Atlanta left to count. And in Ohio, Republican Mike DeWine is down to an 8 point lead with 62% reporting."

John King: "Over in the House races, Republicans are not leading in all of the non-Cuban Florida seats that Democrats hoped to pick up, except FL-18. We've just called FL-26 for the Democratic challenger, Debbie Mucarsel-Powell. Mario Diaz Balart, the Republican, expanding his lead further in FL-25. But Donna Shalala is gaining for the Democrats in FL-27, down to a 7 point lead for Maria Elvira Salazar."

John King: "In Georgia, Karen Handel, the Republican who won the special election, has taken a solid lead of almost 5% in GA-06 now, with 86% reporting. GA-07, still very competitive - a narrow Democratic lead of about 1 and half percent with 93% reporting. GA-12 also notably and surprisingly close, the Republican incumbent Rick Allen was considered safe."

John King: "No real changes in the Virginia races since we last looked, just more of the votes in, but no real shifts in any of those races."

John King: "We are starting to get a decent number of votes in for North Carolina and Ohio, so let's take a closer look there. In the Raleigh area NC-02, Republican incumbent George Holding down by 3 with 67% reporting. In Winston Salem area NC-05, Democrats with a surprising lead of 10 points over Virginia Foxx. Surely that is too much... Yep, looks like Forsyth County, Winston Salem, already 80% in, whereas the district as a whole is 59% in. Democrat Dan McReady leading by 6 in NC-09, but that's not entirely unexpected. He has been considered to be running a very good campaign. And in NC-13, Greensboro area, Republican Ted Budd with a 1 point lead."

John King: "In Ohio, still looking very solid for Republicans everywhere except OH-14, where David Joyce is now behind by 4 points with 60% in. Interesting, Joyce is one of the relatively few Republicans who made an attempt to moderate himself and separate himself from President Trump. Of course, 40% of the vote still to be counted there."

John King: "And in WV-03, this is that district that voted for Trump by 50 points, Democrat Richard Ojeda now with a narrow 3 point lead, 47% in there."

The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #117 on: October 02, 2018, 08:47:15 AM »

8:20 PM EST: 1078 VOTES IN INDIANA (CONTINUED)

Senate seats called: 9 D --- 0 R

Governorships called: 1 D --- 2 R

[/quote]
Junior Chimp

« Reply #118 on: October 02, 2018, 08:55:52 AM »
« Edited: October 02, 2018, 09:00:13 AM by 2016 »

FL-SEN is a bit too high. Nelson probably wouldn't have a 436K Vote lead.

AND IN-SEN is all but going to a Recount no matter who is ahead in the Final Count. It's well within 0.5 here.
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #119 on: October 02, 2018, 09:00:38 AM »

It is currently pretty close to the Quinnipiac poll (although that was definitely the best recent poll for Nelson). Remember there are still quite a few votes to count, however.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #120 on: October 02, 2018, 09:09:28 AM »

It is currently pretty close to the Quinnipiac poll (although that was definitely the best recent poll for Nelson). Remember there are still quite a few votes to count, however.

Scott is not going to close a +400K lead with 76% in so that seems to me a D-HOLD here. In the FL-GOV Race Gillum has a near +236K lead with 86% in so that's GONE barring some big Vote counting errors like we saw in 2000.

That being said, this doesn't seem to me a D-Wave. DEMS have only picked up one House Seat (Curbelo).
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #121 on: October 02, 2018, 12:15:11 PM »

RIP Carlos hope Mary can pull it off in FL-25!
Huey Long is a Republican
New Tennessean Politician
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #122 on: October 02, 2018, 12:25:34 PM »

c'mon Hugin, Scott, and Cruz for Senate.

Also, same for Lee.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #123 on: October 02, 2018, 12:53:25 PM »

LET'S GO DEMOCRATS (and Knute Buehler I guess)
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #124 on: October 03, 2018, 09:56:06 AM »
« Edited: October 03, 2018, 11:08:09 AM by Cruz Will Win 👁 »

8:30 PM EST: 666 IS THE NUMBER OF INDIANA; NELSON SLIGHTLY AHEAD IN FLORIDA

Scream (the expression on everyone's face who is involved), by Edvard Munch

November 6, 2018, 8:30 PM EST: ELECTION NIGHT, CNN Headquarters, Washington D.C.

Wolf Blitzer: "Polls are now closing in Arkansas, and we can make a characterization."

Wolf Blitzer: "Based on our exit polls, we can project that Republican Chris Murphy will WIN the Gubernatorial race in Arkansas."

John King: "In AR-02, also, the exit poll showing a close race, Wolf, 48-47 advantage for the Republicans."

John King: "We've just got some votes in from Hamilton, County, Indiana. It's now 49.4% to 49.4%, but Mike Braun now is leading by 666 votes with 99% in. My gosh, is that some sort of typo, or is it really 666?"

Wolf Blitzer: "It looks legit."

John King: "Well anyway, so we've got a few more precincts left in Hamilton County, and also Porter and Allen left. Again, we have no idea which are the particular precincts left to report, they could go for Donnelly, or for Braun. There are Clinton precincts and trump precincts in all those counties. So can Joe Donnelly make it back into the lead? It's possible. Can Mike Braun hold his lead? It's also possible."

John King: "And meanwhile, in Florida, we've had a string of rural counties reporting, largely in the panhandle and the Jacksonville suburbs, and Bill Nelson's lead is now down to less than 1 point with 92% reporting."

Wolf Blitzer: "The United States Senate, right now, is hanging in the balance, John."

John King: "Oh yes, it is. It is indeed."

Wolf Blitzer: "What's left in Florida, can you tell?"

John King: "Well, 81% reporting in Pinellas County, 84% reporting in Hillsborough County. So there is quite a bit left in Tampa-St. Petersburg. Miami-Dade County 85% reporting, Polk County 83% reporting. Some more in Sarasota. And then there are some precincts scattered around elsewhere. This is a lot like in Indiana, there are Republican precincts and there are Democratic precincts in all these counties."

Wolf Blitzer: "Rick Scott, having spent tens of millions of dollars of his own money, making this a competitive race. Florida has gone Republican often in the past and disappointed Democrats, could it do that again?"

John King: "We'll have to see. In Missouri, it looks like a lot of rural votes in southern Missouri have now come in, Claire McCaskill just getting crushed in some of these counties. Josh Hawley now up 78.1% to 20.8%, wow. Still not much reporting and an awful lot of votes out in the Kansas City and St. Louis metropolitan areas, however. Democrats should be a bit happier with Tennessee and Texas, though. Phil Bredesen is up by 13 points so far with 35% reporting, and Beto O'Rourque edging Ted Cruz by 2 points in Texas with 20% in."

John King: "You know, it really can't be exaggerated - the United States Senate and possibly the future fate of the Supreme Court hanging in the balance depending in large part on how these races break."

John King: "In the Governor's mansions, Stacey Abrams continuing to cut in to Brian Kemp's lead in Georgia, Andrew Gillum holding steady over DeSantis in Florida. The GOP lead has gone up slightly in Ohio, good news for Mike DeWine there. And we're starting to get more results in from other states - we've called Massachussetts for popular Republican incumbent Charlie Baker. Pretty much a dead heat in Maryand. Also close in New Hampshire Gretchen Whitmer, the Democrat, crushing it in Michigan, but Greg Abbott, the Republican, with a healthy 10 point lead in Texas."

John King: "And in the House, we are now calling SC-02 for Republican incumbent Joe Wilson, some heavily GOP precincts reported and gave him a solid 8 point lead now. And we're calling FL-25 for Republican incumbent Mario Diaz-Balart, Republicans also pulling slightly ahead now in FL-18, just by 2 points. with 85% in. Democrat Donna Shalala now behind by only 2 in FL-27, however, with 93% reporting. Most of the votes are in in Georgia, but we're still not calling GA-06, GA-07, or GA-12."

John King: "We're calling VA-05 for Republican Denver Riggleman and VA-10 for Democrat Jennifer Wexton. Elaine Luria, though, with now a pretty big lead in VA-02, but we're not calling it yet."

John King: "North Carolina continues to have multiple competitive races, many potentially Democratic pickups. NC-02, NC-05, NC-09, and NC-13 all have Democrats ahead by varying amounts, with between 48% and 73% reporting."

John King: "In Ohio, the Democrats have narrowed the gap in OH-12, down only by 3% now, with 72% reporting. No more votes in yet from OH-14. OH-01 continues to be a disappointment for Democrats, so far. Aftab Pureval down by almost 30 with 50% in, but that's with much more reporting in heavily Republican Warren County than in Hamilton County."

John King: "And in WV-03, Richard Ojeda continues to lead narrowly for the Democrats, now up to 69% reporting."

John King: "And we are very early days on this, but in Texas, look, this is sort of crazy. Democratic challengers are currently leading in TX-02, TX-07, TX-22, TX-23, TX-24, TX-25, TX-27, TX-31, and TX-32. It is unlikely that all of those will hold, but if they did, Democrats would pick up 9 seats in Texas alone, not far from half of what they need to take control of the House of Representatives. Republicans seem to be looking considerably better than that - at least so far - in most of the other states where polls closed at 8."

John King: "But we have only really started counting in all those 17 states. Look at this broadly. As we are starting to get more and more states in with more precincts reporting, more representative of the country as a whole, the Democrats have been going up in the popular vote consistently over the past hour:"

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 13  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies