What if Gerald Ford had been reelected? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 07:10:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History
  Alternative History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  What if Gerald Ford had been reelected? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What if Gerald Ford had been reelected?  (Read 6262 times)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« on: December 29, 2015, 10:41:51 AM »

327: Gov. Pete McCloskey(R-CA)/Rep. Guy Vander Jagt(R-MI) - 46.8%
211: Sen. Henry "Scoop" Jackson(D-WA)/Sen. Sam Nunn(D-GA) - 45.6%
Eugene McCarthy(I-MN)/John Lindsay(I-NY) - 7.3%
Other: 0.3%

Why, why, why in God's name would Pete McCloskey pursue the GOP nomination, how would he get it, and how do you think he would win, especially with Southern states? McCloskey was a combination "liberal Republican" and anti-war leftist who wouldn't have a shot in post-1964 GOP period, let alone a chance at winning the presidency!
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 03:52:41 PM »

Secretary of the Treasury Alan Greenspan, Fed Reserve Chair Alfred Hayes, and Secretary of Commerce Anne Armstrong would all have helped prevent the recession.

They may well have avoided stagflation, but I doubt they could have avoided having a recession.  Miller may have been an idiot as Fed Reserve Chair, but he wasn't a complete idiot and his excessive pump priming had been intended to stimulate the economy out of recession.

"Intended". The economy was on the rise 1975-1976, and it's only because of Nixon Ford didn't win and actually stimulate the economy out of the recession.

Miller's policies were basically Hayes' policies on steroids, and Hayes stayed on as Fed Chair for the beginning of Carter's term.

This is equivalent to me saying that because Governor X raised the minimum wage $1 in 2002, it was just "the same thing on steroids" when Governor Y raised the minimum wage $500 in 2003. Furthermore, Hayes was a Friedman-literalist, not a pragmatist. Lastly, Hayes was never NATIONAL Fed Reserve Chair.

Well, whoever was Fed Chair before Miller. I didn't remember the name, so I assumed when you said Hayes was, that you were referring to the Fed Chair.

Paul Volcker, I believe. Yes, one of Ford's more iffy appointments.

Volcker was appointed in 1979 by Carter. And he was a badass.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies