Applying To Colleges
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 06:18:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Applying To Colleges
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 31
Author Topic: Applying To Colleges  (Read 87568 times)
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #375 on: February 29, 2012, 02:53:10 AM »

One more month. Most of my senior friends are on edge. When I talk to them about college, they don't want to think about it. Any similar thoughts, seniors?

I can't take high school seriously after being accepted to Reed and I'm considering cyrogenics to skip the next few months. Senioritis never truly begins until you get your first major acceptance letter. There's a huge trough in your performance after that and then it slowly improves, plateaus and then dips again (I'm guessing).
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #376 on: February 29, 2012, 02:58:53 AM »

I kind of wish that I had applied to Reed. Oh, well.

Willamette's offering me $14,000 a year in scholarships (contingent upon a 2.5 GPA), so that's appealing.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #377 on: February 29, 2012, 03:08:46 AM »

I kind of wish that I had applied to Reed. Oh, well.

Willamette's offering me $14,000 a year in scholarships (contingent upon a 2.5 GPA), so that's appealing.

I think you'd be pretty suited for it (outside of the whole counter-culture aspect, maybe) and that you'd be accepted.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #378 on: February 29, 2012, 03:14:31 AM »

Yeah, besides my being a boring religious, it could have been nice. But I sort of ended up applying to schools at random and at the last minute (literally the last minute in the case of Maryland). Such is life.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #379 on: February 29, 2012, 09:14:11 AM »

(literally the last minute in the case of Maryland).

AND IT WAS SUCH A GOOD DECISION TO DO SO
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #380 on: February 29, 2012, 09:21:58 AM »

Why do you guys WANT to be done with undergrad? Once you get to grad school, you realize how wonderful undergrad truly is; going out every night, not having to work all the time, studying for exams a few days before instead of weeks before. I was like you all in the sense that in May of last year I was ready to graduate, but now I just look back on those days and wish I had done more with my time there, not wasted 2 years dating the same girl, not forgoing an opportunity to go out on a Tuesday, having one more PBR than I should. It's things like that you can't do in law school all the time. Cherish your time in undergrad. You will miss it when you leave. Trust me.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #381 on: February 29, 2012, 09:39:40 AM »

I miss everything once its over.  and distort the past's picture towards the positive.  doesn't mean that it is actually good.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #382 on: February 29, 2012, 09:42:50 AM »

lol

You must be logged in to read this quote.

lol

You must be logged in to read this quote.

lol
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #383 on: February 29, 2012, 11:54:26 PM »

Yeah, besides my being a boring religious, it could have been nice. But I sort of ended up applying to schools at random and at the last minute (literally the last minute in the case of Maryland). Such is life.

Where else did you apply? I remember that you were interested in Fordham, and were planning on applying to GWU. And nice job on landing a scholarship. A lot of my friends are afraid of private colleges because of the "expense," but obviously scholarships and financial aid aren't taken into account...
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #384 on: March 01, 2012, 09:19:19 PM »

One more month. Most of my senior friends are on edge. When I talk to them about college, they don't want to think about it. Any similar thoughts, seniors?

Kind of, but not really.  UVA has always been my realistic first choice, so there isn't as much stress about reach schools like Harvard and Columbia.  It's nice Cheesy
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #385 on: March 04, 2012, 05:49:06 AM »

Why do you guys WANT to be done with undergrad? Once you get to grad school, you realize how wonderful undergrad truly is; going out every night, not having to work all the time, studying for exams a few days before instead of weeks before. I was like you all in the sense that in May of last year I was ready to graduate, but now I just look back on those days and wish I had done more with my time there, not wasted 2 years dating the same girl, not forgoing an opportunity to go out on a Tuesday, having one more PBR than I should. It's things like that you can't do in law school all the time. Cherish your time in undergrad. You will miss it when you leave. Trust me.
Try to do them problem sets, kills 3 or 4 nights a week.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #386 on: March 04, 2012, 07:53:33 PM »

Try to do them problem sets, kills 3 or 4 nights a week.

Depends on the problems ...
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #387 on: March 10, 2012, 08:32:46 PM »

My final list is, incidentally (and approximately in order of preference):

Maryland — College Park (PhD, Neuroscience and Cognitive Science)
McGill (PhD, Interdisciplinary Program in Neuroscience)
NYU (PhD, Psychology, Cognition and Perception)
University of Rochester (PhD, Brain and Cognitive Sciences)
Boston University (PhD, Computational Neuroscience)
Harvard University (PhD, Program in Speech and Hearing Biosciences and Technology)

Update: accepted everywhere!  Current top choices are Maryland and Rochester, with NYU and BU having outside shots.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #388 on: March 10, 2012, 08:36:23 PM »

go to Boston University, it sounds like the most over the top title.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #389 on: March 10, 2012, 08:37:39 PM »

God, you kids are so smart. I had to suck a big bag of dicks to get into a Community College with 100% acceptance rates.
I'm JewCon in name only.
Klecly
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.61, S: 6.52

« Reply #390 on: March 10, 2012, 09:22:15 PM »

God, you kids are so smart. I had to suck a big bag of dicks to get into a Community College with 100% acceptance rates.

Haha  yea!

I got into West Virginia, Alabama, and Ole Miss and will be attending West Virginia in the fall. I feel so dumb lol! Plus I only took 5 APs, while, I bet some people here took like 10!

lol it's good to be on an intelligent forum though Smiley
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #391 on: March 10, 2012, 09:51:57 PM »
« Edited: March 10, 2012, 09:53:51 PM by Ron Swanson »

I got into Case Western. Under normal circumstances I'd be happy about that acceptance because it shows my competence but at this point I don't need acceptance letters to boost my ego. This just means more work for me in the form of calling the school or writing them a letter indicating I won't be attending.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #392 on: March 11, 2012, 02:42:57 AM »

Harvard University (PhD, Program in Speech and Hearing Biosciences and Technology)

Update: accepted everywhere!  Current top choices are Maryland and Rochester, with NYU and BU having outside shots.

Congratulations! How can you possibly choose? Tongue
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #393 on: March 12, 2012, 03:10:26 AM »

In the process of hearing back from Public Affairs/Public Policy Schools.

Accepted:

American
George Washington
Maryland
Minnesota
USC
Washington
Wisconsin

Declined:

Syracuse
Texas

Still Pending:

Carnegie Mellon
Georgetown
Michigan

I have no idea where I want to go yet. I went to Wisconsin for undergrad, am originally from the Madison and I want to get away from home for a while, so Wisconsin is probably at the bottom of my list. As of now I think I leaning either towards George Washington or USC, but Minnesota would be the cheapest (but that would mean I am a Gopher, which I don't think I could do as a proud Badger, lol), I would get a $15,000 fellowship from Washington and Georgetown is probably my dream school. So lets just say that I am conflicted right now. Any suggestions? 
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #394 on: March 12, 2012, 09:12:28 AM »

My brother's at George Washington for International Policy and loves it.

My final decision is likely going to have to be based on the philosophy of my top schools.  The language sciences are a field riven by differences in their perception of how the mind works, and I have to navigate picking between the side with the momentum on its side (Rochester) and the side that holds personal emotional appeal (Maryland).
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #395 on: March 13, 2012, 07:24:25 PM »

Washington Univ. in St. L?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #396 on: March 13, 2012, 07:34:18 PM »

My final decision is likely going to have to be based on the philosophy of my top schools.  The language sciences are a field riven by differences in their perception of how the mind works, and I have to navigate picking between the side with the momentum on its side (Rochester) and the side that holds personal emotional appeal (Maryland).

go with the sh**t you believe in.  let your blood ring true.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #397 on: March 13, 2012, 07:43:45 PM »

Going to be applying for programs inside my school this summer.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #398 on: March 13, 2012, 09:26:40 PM »

USC's Price is probably the best one you have been accepted at so far. Though I'd hold out for Michigan, because they have one of the best public policy schools in the nation. Congratulations!

That seems like a good plan. Why not HAHVAHD though? Most people jump at the opportunity to attend HAHVAHD.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #399 on: March 13, 2012, 11:44:46 PM »

Update: accepted everywhere!  Current top choices are Maryland and Rochester, with NYU and BU having outside shots.

My final decision is likely going to have to be based on the philosophy of my top schools.  The language sciences are a field riven by differences in their perception of how the mind works, and I have to navigate picking between the side with the momentum on its side (Rochester) and the side that holds personal emotional appeal (Maryland).

go with the sh**t you believe in.  let your blood ring true.

Right now, I'm inclined to agree with you.  Six hours ago, I would've disagreed.  Argh, this is frustrating.

That seems like a good plan. Why not HAHVAHD though? Most people jump at the opportunity to attend HAHVAHD.

Most people likely didn't turn down Brown to go to Michigan State Tongue  But, even my anti-elitism (and that earlier decision was much more about money than egalitarianism, though it turned out to be an excellent one for many reasons other than money) could've been turned aside if Harvard showed me it had a program that was doing what I wanted in a place.  No such luck, unfortunately; it's a good program, but a good program for things I'm not really interested in (e.g., general auditory processing on basically a cellular level).  Maryland, Rochester, and NYU, meanwhile, have excellent programs in things very close to what I do (though the advising situation at NYU would be... complicated.), and BU's program, though more distant from my interests, is great.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 31  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies