Will Latinos Eventually Become A Majority in the U.S.?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 03:15:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Will Latinos Eventually Become A Majority in the U.S.?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Go.
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 46

Author Topic: Will Latinos Eventually Become A Majority in the U.S.?  (Read 11635 times)
Linus Van Pelt

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2010, 05:28:15 PM »

Well, duh. The term isn't used in Latin America full stop. Smiley

Well, my understanding from a Mexican friend is that "hispánico" just means "Spanish", as in from Spain.

(I leave to subtler minds whether etymological equivalents are the same "term", but if that's what you meant, I can one-up your literalness: the term "Hispanic" is used in Latin America: by visiting Americans! Tongue)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2010, 12:08:22 AM »

This reminds me of this guy I used to work with. He's Hispanic and has a very Hispanic last name (though it's common enough so it's not seen as ethnic anymore.) And he lives in a relatively high (for Minnesota) Hispanic area. But his roommates are all white. And he's from the suburbs. Very middle class as it gets. And I doubt he knows much Spanish. Yet he's still another Hispanic in that area on the census. Kind of amusing.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2010, 12:10:17 AM »

This reminds me of this guy I used to work with. He's Hispanic and has a very Hispanic last name (though it's common enough so it's not seen as ethnic anymore.) And he lives in a relatively high (for Minnesota) Hispanic area. But his roommates are all white. And he's from the suburbs. Very middle class as it gets. And I doubt he knows much Spanish. Yet he's still another Hispanic in that area on the census. Kind of amusing.

Does he look Caucasian? Or does he look more like a Native-American?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2010, 12:23:58 AM »

He looks closer to white. He could easily pass for white, though when you find out that he's Hispanic it's not surprising. He could just as easily be Italian though.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2010, 12:27:38 AM »

That's interesting. This one guy I know is half-Cuban, but he looks completely white. His last name suggested he was Greek or Spanish (before I asked him what his ethnicity was). If you're wondering, the other half of his family originally came from Western Europe.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2010, 03:00:52 PM »

If you remember, at the turn of the last century, Italian was considered a subcategory to white.  By now they have been absorbed into the "white" demographic fully.  The same will happen to hispanics of the next century.
Gren
Spain

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.43

« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2010, 04:27:44 PM »

He may be Spanish. We have the same surnames and language but look european.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2010, 05:17:03 PM »

If you remember, at the turn of the last century, Italian was considered a subcategory to white.  By now they have been absorbed into the "white" demographic fully.  The same will happen to hispanics of the next century.

Still, one could argue that since many Latinos look like Native Americans (unlike Italians), it will be harder for those Latinos to be considered "white."
Devilman88

Political Matrix
E: 5.94, S: 2.61

« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2010, 05:22:18 PM »

No, because alot of Latinos and "whites" are marrying. I can see a majority of the "Whites" having Latinos mix in them.
Devilman88

Political Matrix
E: 5.94, S: 2.61

« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2010, 05:25:28 PM »

Still, one could argue that since many Latinos look like Native Americans (unlike Italians), it will be harder for those Latinos to be considered "white."

Italians and Latinos to me look alike. Smiley
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2010, 08:16:12 PM »

Italians and White Latinos, Yes. But I was talking about Italian and Native American Latinos (based on appearance).
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2010, 03:44:34 PM »

Italians and White Latinos, Yes. But I was talking about Italian and Native American Latinos (based on appearance).
Latinos and traditional "whites" will continue to intermarry so that the averahe "white" is slighter darker and the average latino slightly lighter so that there is no real difference.  We're talking a century here....
RosettaStoned
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.45, S: -5.91

« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2010, 06:27:39 PM »

Whites and Latinos are going to continue to interbreed and in the future we will have a hybrid race.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2010, 08:45:00 PM »

I checked two boxes on my census form, white and Native American.  That describes my genetic ancestry.  I have no cultural connection to my Native American ancestors, even though it is my family name arguably is Amerindian.  I am not involved in a tribe.  American English is my native language.  My religion persuasion is a branch of Christianity originating in Europe.

I could easily see a white, speaking English exclusively, even Protestant, Hispanic majority.
tallguy23
United States

« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2010, 08:46:32 PM »

Most Hispanics are considered racially white. As more and more whites and Hispanics marry and have kids, ethnic lines will shatter and Hispanics will just be considered white.

Ex: I hung out with a group of half Irish and half Mexican guys last night for St. Patrick's day. They barely looked Mexican and didn't even know Spanish. That's what the future will look like.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2010, 07:50:32 AM »

Arizona is working hard to keep that from happening.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2010, 11:33:26 AM »

Most third generation hispanics I know consider themselves white anyway. I assume that will be the majority in the long run.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2010, 09:38:09 PM »

No, they will be concidered White before that happens.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2010, 04:37:47 AM »

I checked two boxes on my census form, white and Native American.  That describes my genetic ancestry.  I have no cultural connection to my Native American ancestors
In other words, you lied on your census form.

Because it doesn't ask for "genetic ancestry".
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2010, 11:38:57 AM »

I checked two boxes on my census form, white and Native American.  That describes my genetic ancestry.  I have no cultural connection to my Native American ancestors, even though it is my family name arguably is Amerindian.  I am not involved in a tribe.  American English is my native language.  My religion persuasion is a branch of Christianity originating in Europe.

I could easily see a white, speaking English exclusively, even Protestant, Hispanic majority.

Protestant? LOL

Keep dreaming.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies