Voting rights bills and lawsuits megathread (Updated: April 27th 2020) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 08:31:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Voting rights bills and lawsuits megathread (Updated: April 27th 2020) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Voting rights bills and lawsuits megathread (Updated: April 27th 2020)  (Read 183513 times)
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« on: February 28, 2018, 04:38:42 AM »

The National Democratic Redistricting Committee (Eric Holder's group) is suing Wisconsin Gov. Walker over his refusal to call special elections for two vacant legislative seats.

Thank God. The partisan finagling to artificially hold on to power in this state is just disgusting, and the fact that it's so blatant now makes it feel even worse.

I just hope this forces something to happen sooner rather than later. With the case now at the Supreme Court, it feels like any ruling will be too little too late, as many awful decisions have already been made. But even some improvement for 2018 and/or 2020 would surely be appreciated.
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2018, 07:56:31 AM »
« Edited: October 10, 2018, 07:59:44 AM by Koharu »

SCOTUS rules 6-2 to essentially disenfranchise Native Americans in North Dakota, and the fact that can't be said to be hyperbole says a lot.

Yeah, this disgusts me.

Do those IDs include a picture and address?  

Yes. They need a street address. However, USPS doesn't deliver on reservations and thus the folks in North Dakota who live on the reservations have post office boxes instead, which do not qualify for addresses for ID purposes, for obvious reasons.

Kavanaugh did not vote, and I don't think we're sure what the tally is, as it doesn't have to be given. RGB and Kagan are known dissents.

https://www.narf.org/cases/nd-voter-id/
http://www.scotusblog.com/2018/10/court-stays-out-of-north-dakota-voting-dispute/

It is important to note that this is not about the constitutionality of this ID law, but whether there should be a hold on enforcement until after the election or not. I am sure the constitutionality of this will probably work its way up to the Supreme Court at some point. That said, I still think it's a huge failing as a change in election laws so close to the election will suppress voter turnout.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies