Canada General Discussion: Trudeau II (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 12:54:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada General Discussion: Trudeau II (search mode)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8
Poll
Question: Does uniting the right in Alberta mean the NDP is toast next election?
Absolutely they are done like dinner

NDP still might win, but will be a steep hill to climb

NDP will likely win, UCP too extreme

NDP will definitely win

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 30

Author Topic: Canada General Discussion: Trudeau II  (Read 192665 times)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2016, 08:19:29 AM »

Well, it's not my New Democratic Party of 2011 anymore. That was peak NDP and now we're back to full on "shoot self in the foot for the sake of it" mode. At least Horvath isn't horrible, I'll continue to support her and the provincial party, but at least I won't have to live under Premier Brown.

I hardly consider peak NDP being at the point when the Liberals are to the left of you.

Cool, but living under an NDP opposition was the only good thing about a Conservative majority at the time, and they were a damn good opposition under competent leadership. I don't give a damn about some poor stupid delegates thinking that the party doesn't seem to be left-wing enough for them. They've only put another obstacle in the NDP's long road out of obscurity.

Being a rhetorical carbon copy of the Liberals is a sure fire way to obscurity though. It's unfortunate, but the Libs have triangulated, and the NDP needs to distance themselves. It's not going to get them power, but it will save them from being wiped out.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2016, 09:00:56 AM »

Well, it's not my New Democratic Party of 2011 anymore. That was peak NDP and now we're back to full on "shoot self in the foot for the sake of it" mode. At least Horvath isn't horrible, I'll continue to support her and the provincial party, but at least I won't have to live under Premier Brown.

I hardly consider peak NDP being at the point when the Liberals are to the left of you.

Cool, but living under an NDP opposition was the only good thing about a Conservative majority at the time, and they were a damn good opposition under competent leadership. I don't give a damn about some poor stupid delegates thinking that the party doesn't seem to be left-wing enough for them. They've only put another obstacle in the NDP's long road out of obscurity.

Being a rhetorical carbon copy of the Liberals is a sure fire way to obscurity though. It's unfortunate, but the Libs have triangulated, and the NDP needs to distance themselves. It's not going to get them power, but it will save them from being wiped out.

The NDP wasn't a carbon copy of the Liberals. They were much more fiscally responsible, well-versed in policy, and serious about governing. Which is why Trudeau won.

Those differences were glossed over by most voters though.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2016, 09:29:28 AM »

I wonder whether the Tory majority of 2011 and especially its Ontario results was really just down to the Liberals having a spectacularly bad leader.

This was very much part of it, yes. Maybe even the biggest part.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Still in the works as far as I know.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2016, 07:13:37 PM »

Harper wasn't from Quebec and he won seats in Quebec. The NDP needs to focus on holding on to the more left wing ridings, like Rosemont and Laurier-Ste. Marie, in the same way the Tories are strong in the Chaudiere-Appalaches.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2016, 02:46:20 PM »

If Canada was warmer than the US instead of colder I would probably be looking into dual citizenship Tongue

It's called a coat.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2016, 07:24:41 PM »

If Canada was warmer than the US instead of colder I would probably be looking into dual citizenship Tongue

It's called a coat.
I'm talking about sunshine and being able to sunbathe on a hammock in your backyard and never deal with shoveling snow or driving in snow

You know, it does get hot here too.

As for the snow, yeah, you live in New England. It's not much worse in Canada. Plus, we have Vancouver.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2016, 09:17:06 AM »

So the Libs in Newfoundland are planning to shut down half of the province's libraries and are putting a tax on books. Lord tunderin' jesus b'y.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2016, 01:41:05 PM »

Oh, there's a few rumours going around that Stephen McNeil is going to call a snap election this spring. Nova Scotia loves to speculate on this topic with every premier because John Buchanan won back to back re-elections off of snap elections in the 1980's. I personally doubt McNeil calls an election.

Calling elections 2 1/2 years after the last election never ends well for the government.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2016, 01:43:03 PM »

Former NDP MP Ian Deans (and ex-husband of Ottawa city councillor Diane Deans) has died. RIP.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2016, 08:38:10 AM »

Don't post Ontario polls unless you're going to report the NDP as well! (most of us are NDPers here...)

Full #s:

PC: 39 (-1)
OLP: 34 (+4)
NDP: 21 (-3)
GPO: 5 (n/c)

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2016, 09:18:42 AM »

Yeah, I know (shame on them), but Forum had the crosstabs on their site.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2016, 08:21:03 AM »

There's no reason why Alberta shouldn't have two right wing parties. No need to go back to decades of one party rule.

Speaking of Alberta, considering Notley has done a super job handling the Fort Mac fire, I wonder if this might just save the NDP in the province.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2016, 08:31:30 AM »

The government is putting forward the motion to strike the special committee on electoral reform today. The committee will have 10 members, 6 Libs, 3 Cons and 1 NDP, plus one Bloc and one Green (Elizabeth May) will sit on the committee but won't be able to vote.

Of course, the Liberals having a majority on the committee is highly ironic.  I doubt they will try to push something through unilaterally though.

In addition to electoral reform, they will also be discussing online voting (what a recipe for disaster that would be) and mandatory voting. 
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2016, 09:12:47 AM »

LOL. Junk poll! Does anyone remember how badly Ipsos screwed up in Ontario?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2016, 08:28:12 AM »

At this point, ~ one year out from the 2013 BC election, Ipsos-Reid had the BC NDP leading by an astounding 19%!

http://www.ipsos-na.com/news-polls/pressrelease.aspx?id=5659

As for Ipsos-Reid during the 2014 ON election, their last opinion poll pegged the ONDP at 30% - actual was 23.8%.

My main point? Ipsos-Reid and other opt-in online panel pollsters always overestimate the NDP vote. Both Ipsos-Reid and Angus-Reid (also opt-in online) had similar 8%-9% BC NDP leads in their last day polls the day prior to the May, 2013 BC election.

Opt-in online and IVR are just cheap polling junk. Give me a "gold-standard" CATI poll any day of the week. Wink

If opt-in panels always over estimate the NDP, then why does ipsos have the NDP lower than any of the other pollsters? Hmmm?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2016, 08:21:43 AM »

If opt-in panels always over estimate the NDP, then why does ipsos have the NDP lower than any of the other pollsters? Hmmm?

Haha. What other pollsters? BTW... I do know my stuff. So have at 'er! Wink

Howabout the Insights West poll that was posted on this very thread on the previous page? Howabout every other poll published since January 2014?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2016, 12:24:35 PM »

I disagree with that assessment. The Liberals would prefer it of course, but no other party would back them on it, so it would look bad if they pushed for a system that only they support.

What is most likely to happen is not much. The Liberals won't pursue IRV without another party supporting, so they will drop the issue, as most other systems would require boundary changes (see my thread) or increasing the size of parliament, and they would not likely do that. My worst fear is that the only reform they go with, which is the worst possible "reform", is to adopt online voting.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2016, 03:24:51 PM »

My worst fear is that the only reform they go with, which is the worst possible "reform", is to adopt online voting.

May I ask why you are so opposed to the idea? Do you think it's going to be compromised or something?

Yeah, it's always a possibility. This is a good video that explains why it's a bad idea: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3_0x6oaDmI
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2016, 08:16:11 PM »

good policy, but very unpopular.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2016, 03:35:05 PM »

Woohoo! You have to admit, it has gotten pretty ridiculous in Nova Scotia. Pretty soon the whole province will be one municipality!
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2016, 03:44:14 PM »

New Glasgow supported the merger, but the other three municipalities did not. The Town of Pictou was very divided, the western ward supported it 54-46 but the eastern ward did not (58% no).  Results: http://munpict.ca/images/elections_images/may28_2016results.pdf

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2016, 09:56:29 AM »

Speculation is that he got drunk at the Liberal convention and was inappropriately hitting on a staffer.

Alcohol abuse is unfortunately all to common among the Aboriginal community, even among high profile politicians (as we saw with Saganash). I hope that stories such as these shed a light on this issue. 
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2016, 11:00:33 AM »

Speculation is that he got drunk at the Liberal convention and was inappropriately hitting on a staffer.

That's it?

Well, I guess it depends on how inappropriate he was behaving towards said staffer. I'm sure there's zero-tolerance for sexual harassment within the Liberal caucus considering what happened with the two Liberal MPs in the last parliament. 
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2016, 11:35:05 AM »

The Liberals have scrapped their majority on the electoral reform committee and have adopted the NDP plan, which alots seats based on the popular vote: http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/wherry-electoral-reform-committee-1.3612377

Good move! I told you guys the Liberals weren't going to go it alone on this! Though, I didn't expect them to do this, but hey, why not? They weren't going to push something through on their own anyways, so might as well give themselves a minority (plurality) of seats on the committee.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2016, 05:08:20 PM »

Fildebrandt is a bit of an odd ball. He was in a few of my classes at university, and his politics were very insane.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies