Who will replace Theresa May as Conservative leader? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 04:20:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Who will replace Theresa May as Conservative leader? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Boris Johnson

David Davis

Amber Rudd

Philip Hammond

Ruth Davidson

Jacob Rees-Mogg

Damian Green

Priti Patel

Liam Fox (joke option)

Michael Gove (see above)

Other vaguely prominent Tory

Somebody literally nobody has ever heard of

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 68

Author Topic: Who will replace Theresa May as Conservative leader?  (Read 5757 times)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« on: October 08, 2017, 06:52:04 AM »

Assuming she won't face the next election, who will face the next election? My money is on Rudd, but in a different seat.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 03:22:17 AM »

Morgan has become far too much of a rent a gob Remainer to be given power (mostly because she makes no secret about the fact she personally loathes May); and Truss was widely considered over her head as Justice Sec.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2017, 05:18:45 PM »

Yeah, I think a lot of people came into the election expecting to us have similar problems with the Democrats - political types probably read too much American news and get confused - but it really didn't happen, and I doubt the much hypothesized "collapse in the heartlands" would have happened even if, I dunno, Tristram Hunt or Chuka Ummuna was leading the party. Labour is weaker than it was in certain areas of the Midlands especially, sure, but that's no reason to lose our heads. in fact, I feel the major ex-industrial seats that have fallen from Labour are rather atypical.

As for Sadiq, I get the impression he's somebody who really likes being Mayor and is not interested in returning to Westminster.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 02:27:55 PM »

I don't think the Tories are necessarily never going to vote for a Remainer (that's why I think Rudd has a decent enough chance), but Osborne's attitude since the referendum has been a non-step mission to destabilise the government, which has caused his stock to become toxic even amongst fellow Remain people. Also, it's not like he's some sort of Ken Clarke figure (i.e. toxic in his party, but well-liked in the country as a whole): he was a rather unpopular Chancellor associated with some of the more disliked parts of the Tory Party.

I think often, Miles, you put too much emphasis on a politician's ideology (i.e. where they fall on the spectrum), but really in politics - especially in intra-party disputes - that very rarely matters compared to personality and basic competence.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies