Could Walt Minnick survive past the 2010 elections? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 10:12:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2010 Elections
  Could Walt Minnick survive past the 2010 elections? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Could Walt Minnick survive past the 2010 elections?  (Read 10434 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« on: June 22, 2009, 12:07:07 AM »

A slight slight chance maybe, but in a marginal or lean GOP year this will be at the top of the GOP Gain list.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 05:01:50 PM »

Though I wouldn't take the risk with him, there is the possibility that Sali could actually beat Minnick. But as I said previously there are far less controversial people who are just as conservative that could take that seat with relative ease.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 06:10:50 PM »

The Mormons are mostly in the other half of the state.

So are the latte liberal Cali transplants, though.

Yea the part represented by Mike Simpson(R). To bad we can't find some one similar to him for the 1st District.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 07:28:34 PM »

Right now, at 67.2%, Minnick has the lowest party unity score of any member of either party in the House - and by time his re-election comes around, I suspect it will be lower still

It'll be funny to see him lose anyway. He's trying to be Sali-lite.
Do you forget what a wingnut Sali was (is)? Voting with the congressional dems 6.7% of the time would qualify as Sali-lite, not 67% of the time. This is Idaho for frick's sake! That is by FAR the best one can hope for. I'm actually surprised Minnick's party unity voting score isn't significantly lower.

Besides, Sali was borderline nuts; Minnick's exhibited none of this tendency.

Sad to know he's still endangered, to put it nicely. Best Dems can hope for is Sali attempts a comeback and wins the primary. Any word up there on whether he's inclined to give it another try?

Last I knew he was just "considering it". Even he can still win it but he would have a hard time in a district the GOP would prefer to put away for keeps. 
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 04:04:32 PM »

I'd rather have Sali-lite as my congressman, than Sali any day of the week. I don't think you understand how it is like living in Idaho.

That may be, but I'm not shedding any tears when this guy gets thrown out on his ass.
You have the ability to do so, meanwhile I will have to deal with Sali or some other clown the GOP here nominates. Tongue

Karma, I feel your pain. I've never been to or lived in Idaho, but I imagine it's a pretty scary state to live in. You've mentioned the fundies in some of your other posts - are there lots of Bible thumpers up there? I haven't done much research on the state, but I've heard there are lots of Mormons up there. I guess that's a big reason why the state is so red, but what else makes your state one of the most conservative in the nation? White supremacists, uneducated folks, gun-touting hunters, etc.? (Asking sincerely, not to be condescending). The politics of Idaho has always fascinated me.

Actually there aren't as many Mormons there as you would think. They are primarily concentrated in the 2 District held by Mike Simpson(R). The First district is a lot like Wyoming or Eastern Washington. Rural Westerners have been highly Republican for decades and still are.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies