Do the rich and powerful "own" both parties? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 07:41:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Do the rich and powerful "own" both parties? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Do the rich and powerful "own" both parties?  (Read 3689 times)
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« on: May 30, 2012, 07:33:27 PM »

They're really the same thing. Tell me this: which party opposes the Bush tax cuts?
the democrats

Then why did it pass the Democratic Senate in 2010 81-19? One would think that if the Democrats opposed it, they could have voted against it...
a temporary extension with unemployment insurance and 'working class tax cuts' is not the same thing as supporting the bush tax cuts. don't confuse caution with support of something. also change the avatar, please. we have enough confused people on this site as it is.

Unemployment insurance was part of it, which was put in as part of a compromise deal which also included extending all EGTRRA and JGTRRA cuts, including cuts to tax rates on the non-working classes. And change the avatar to what? The Constitution Party seems like a bunch of theocrats, Greens seem too hippie-ish, there's no real "Other" I'm that attracted to, I'm not joining the party of Bush, I've been politely asked to leave the Democrats, Natural Law Party is weird, and it's lonely as an independent.

Hey man, sometimes not being a part of a political clique is for the best.

I've taken that route, and I can say I'm a lot happier for it.

Well, I am a registered Republican, but I think it's safe to say I don't have near the same views as an average.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 09:53:48 AM »
« Edited: May 31, 2012, 10:39:04 AM by Guns Don't Kill People, I Do »

Hasn't it always been this way, through deliberate design?  With the possible exception of the Jacksonian era, there hasn't been a period in American history when the elites haven't controlled the political life of this country.  It's worth remembering who were present at the continental congresses, and who helped shape the Declaration of Independence, the Articles of Confederation, and the Constitution of the United States -the elites of each of the 13 original colonies.  

I would even argue that during the Jacksonian era this was true.  Landed Southern Aristocrats and Monied Northern Businessmen whose interests were harmed by the protective tariff were always an influential part of the Democratic Party, before the Civil Rights Era.  Arguably, these two elite demographics actually got the vote out amongst the non-rich and non-powerful thanks to their monetary influence.  Machines like Tammany Hall existed for a reason after all.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies