Alabama Megathread 3: Results Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 04:41:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Alabama Megathread 3: Results Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who will win?
Roy Moore (R)

Doug Jones (D)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 189

Author Topic: Alabama Megathread 3: Results Thread  (Read 130282 times)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« on: December 10, 2017, 10:31:32 PM »

“Desperate to steal this Senate race"

Do they even know what 'steal' means?
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 02:39:05 PM »

Even if he doesn't win reelection, he will force Republicans to spend money there, so no, not running in 2020 would be silly and could help Republicans in other competitive races. You guys already wrote him off this year, so I would think twice before declaring him DOA again.

I mean, Jones winning reelection wouldn't be unprecedented. Examples are more prevalent at the state level, but it's not totally unheard of for a politician to win a seemingly impossible race by the skin of their teeth, only to go on to win comfortably next time around. Granted, I don't necessarily think Jones could do that if he won tomorrow, but I won't rule it out either. Such a scenario that would enable that is Trump getting blown out in 2020 Carter-style, which is at the very least a possibility, given the way things are going so far.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 10:53:09 PM »

A speaker at the Moore rally just admitted to visiting a sex club filled with underage girls with Moore in tow. We are so beyond parody at this point.

Please include a link. Please.

https://thinkprogress.org/speaker-at-moore-event-says-he-accidentally-went-with-moore-to-a-brothel-with-child-prostitutes-65c9819f8a1e/

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2017, 03:16:41 PM »

Since the ballot records can be destroyed immediately after the election, I imagine Moore will be officially pronounced the winner, whatever the networks say.

The AL GOP needed to be exposed and prosecuted for their blatantly obvious fraud in 2002 (they didn't even try to hide it well). When you let them get away with it once, they'll do it again and again.

Didn't someone say that a court had ordered them to preserve the records?

Also, five hours until polls close.

It was effectively overturned by a higher court. There is a certain margin where it becomes so blatantly obvious that they have to certify a Jones win, but as I said yesterday, if it's Jones by <10,000 , or maybe even a bit bigger than that, AL will fraud the vote and make it a Moore win.

Also from what I read, this is just digital records. Paper ballots are still preserved. I really don't understand why the state is so gung-ho about wanting the ability to destroy these records immediately, but if the physical ballots still exist, this whole thing seems like less of an issue. I mean, it's not like if someone decided to stuff some ballots they couldn't also "digitalize" their efforts as well.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2017, 03:50:59 PM »

Does anyone know how the night will go in terms of vote reporting - like should Moore be expected to post a big lead at first then Jones slowly whittles away at it, or vice versa, or?
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2017, 10:19:41 PM »

Jones advantage keeps decreasing on NYT, com'on fake news!

(how the heck are you supposed to post when every time you hit "post" you get the Warning - new posts kickback?)

You can disable that in your profile settings - I think under on the Layout page.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2017, 10:22:04 PM »

I'm predicting a 0.5% Jones victory. Subject to change. On the NYT page and watching CNN's hopeful analysis.

Edit: For f***'s sake I've submitted like 5 times and it always shows up the "Warning - while you were typing 2 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post."

You can turn that feature off in your profile.
how

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?action=profile;u=16034

That's your profile - go to the bottom and change it in the settings.I think the relevant setting to change is on the Layout/Personalization page.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2017, 10:57:32 PM »

Amazing!!!

So when exactly does Jones take office?
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2017, 11:17:00 PM »

The CNN hacks are speaking of this race as a referendum on Trump.
 That's nonsense.  Moore had problems in Alabama long before the sexual allegations came to light.  Yes, Trump "endorsed" Moore, but he hardly put the full prestige of the White House behind Moore.  Trump let himself be used for a robocall, but he kept his distance.  I am predicting that Trump will be putting a bit of distance between himself and Steve Bannon in the coming days.  (Indeed, Bannon is the 2nd biggest loser tonight, behind Moore.)

Eh, that's something you would expect them to say. But to be fair here, there is an undeniable surge of enthusiasm post-2016 that no doubt Jones benefited from. The money, the volunteering, the anti-Trump enthusiasm gap, this all helped him. Given how close the margin is, it's reasonable to say that Moore could have won if Clinton was president, even if only by a small margin.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2017, 01:15:58 AM »

New thread: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=279603.0
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length