State Capitol Buildings (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 12:03:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  State Capitol Buildings (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: State Capitol Buildings  (Read 15509 times)
batmacumba
andrefeijao
France

« on: April 22, 2013, 12:15:05 AM »

You know, I should be sleeping now, but architecture should not be considered a profession, It should be classified as an Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder...

Some that I find particularly good and bad.

First, the good:

New York is my favorite.  It just seems not very capitoly.
[img [/img]http://

Oh, sorry to disagree, but...   just romantic blabbering. They must had believe they were some type of norman/german XIXth century bourgeoisie thing to mock the aristocracy...
Cheesy then; cheesy now. And really not capitolly at all.

Hawaii's seems especially appropriate for Hawaii, given the strong Asian influences there.
[img[/img]

Nice piece of brutalism. An inviting entrance, at a building that detaches from the ground - a symbol that this capitol is made for the citizen, I would say, instead of the weight and mass of traditional ones which symbolizes power.

I also love Illinois' state capitol building.  It's got that intimidating Victorian look to it.
[img[/img]http://

A very good neoclassic building. I just think the dome shouldn't be that tall. It resulted kinda unproportioned. The evocation of norman roof, but with contemporary language, is a sensible solution for an extension aimed to not harm the building's forms. But not too adequate to a neoclassic one. Was It a beaux-arts/imperial building It should be fine.

And Louisiana... for being so reflective of the essence of Louisiana politics:  "Mah dick is bigguh than your dick." Must've been good old boy you scratch my back I scratch your back make-work for the depression (built 1930-1932).  Really though... of all the states in the south, in the country even... has culture like Louisiana has culture.  It's one area of the country where I could rattle off a list of uniquely "American" things that make American culture neat.

God! Is this polar Brazil? A marvelous site filled with really shjtty buildings?

So it would be silly to try and make a building a focal point with surroundings like that.  But the capitol doesn't even really stand out from the surrounding buildings... let alone from those surroundings.
[img [/img]

Yeah. An awful silly historicist bore, awfully located on the site. They weren't even enough competent to take advantage of the surroundings.

Minnesota's capitol is pretty run of the mill... but the civic planners in St. Paul did a nice job of showing you exactly how big the separation of church and state should be Grin
[img]/img]
I believe the tippy top of the Cathedral is just a tick higher than the capitol building as a snub by the local clergy.  Our state constitution does go out of its way to tell the church to keep out.

I think you're being too harsh on your own capitol. It's a nice XIXth century's second half piece. Seems elegant and well fit on the site. I just hope that silliness on the right roof isn't visible from a human POV.
But the urban organization should be less baroque, you're right! Grin

batmacumba
andrefeijao
France

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 01:25:00 AM »

The MN State Capitol is probably the best, IMO.  Especially the interior-

Nice one!

Never been a fan of the CT State Capitol.  Too neogothic for my taste-

[img[/img]

Agreed. And a poorly tasted one.
batmacumba
andrefeijao
France

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 01:27:12 AM »

The South Carolina State House is a typical Greek Revival style capitol building.  The original plans didn't call for a dome but a tower sort of like Louisiana's but not as tall since it was designed in pre-skyscraper/elevator days.  However, when it was at last completed after the Civil War, they stuck a stereotypical dome on top.

The only interesting feature of the building wasn't even planned.

Six bronze stars marking where the building was hit by Sherman's cannons in 1865.

Those butchers!!!!

How could they put that idiot glass window in front of the original one!! It should be put behind It!
batmacumba
andrefeijao
France

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 08:39:14 PM »

The Old Government Building in Wellington, NZ, has long been the second largest wooden building in the world. It seems to be 3rd now.

[img [/img]http://

Some architects are absolutely clueless. What's the use of doing a wooden building if you make it mocking masonry? British and British heritage had so good wooden traditions...
Well, let's stop judging those buildings. Architects are like whores: when we talk about the metier is to speak badly about someone. Trying to be a little more positive, then:

My state legislative assembly seats contemporarily in a very plain modernist building:

The tall building on the background is its expansion. It's a good one, I like it - and it's separated from the main site by a street.
But the original intention was to make the building unattractive and make it 'disappear' in the plaza - IE, the plaza is the public space, so it's it what matters. For good or for bad, I think they succeeded in their intention.

The original one (Casa de Cāmara e Cadeia) built in the XVIII century, in the old capital, is a very charming one:

Once a year all the government activities are transferred back to Ouro Preto, so I think it still counts.

batmacumba
andrefeijao
France

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 01:41:45 AM »

This is an insult to the honor or the oldest profession that will not be tolerated.

Don't be a prude. We have nothing against the professionals of the night.

Or do you think that neanderthal guy didn't prepare a good room for the girl He offered a mammuth thigh in exchange of sex?
batmacumba
andrefeijao
France

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2013, 03:57:15 PM »

This is an insult to the honor or the oldest profession that will not be tolerated.

Don't be a prude. We have nothing against the professionals of the night.

Or do you think that neanderthal guy didn't prepare a good room for the girl He offered a mammuth thigh in exchange of sex?
Oh, I have nothing against master builders. It is only architects I hold in disdain. Tongue

Grin Grin Grin Grin

Hmm...  Let me see if I can train my Ancient Greek.

Archi, arche (used as an adjective, not a substantive) => main, principal, master.
Tektōn => "artisan, in particular a carpenter or wood-worker or builder."

Sure, in some languages (including, Brazilian Portugues, unfortunely), Architect means nothing but a designer who's a Master Builder wannabe. Tongue
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies