2014: Midterms, Presidential Contests and beyond
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 04:52:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  2014: Midterms, Presidential Contests and beyond
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16
Author Topic: 2014: Midterms, Presidential Contests and beyond  (Read 82972 times)
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: June 28, 2012, 04:23:47 PM »

Chris: And now we have a few more closely-watched races coming in. Tonight is a good night to have the last name "Brown." Both former Senators Sherrod Brown and Scott Brown have successfully made political comebacks.

In Ohio, Democratic Governor Ted Strickland was term-limited. Despite Brown's loss in 2012, Ohio Republicans have become increasingly unpopular. While Governor Strickland leaves office with an lukewarm 41/45 approval rating, Ohioans give the Republican Legislative Majority a dismal 32/51 rating. Those numbers translated into an uphill battle for Republican nominee Josh Mandel. While Mandel did well in the west, Brown but together a coalition of the urban north and Appalachian east to win.

Rachel: And in my state of Massachusetts, we will have a new Governor. Governor Duval Patrick forewent a 3rd term in favoring of becoming the new DNC Chairman. While Scott Brown was voted out of his Senate seat in 2012, polls showed that Bay State voters still viewed him favorably. Brown built a geographic coalition similar to that of his 2010 Senate upset. Lieutenant Governor Tim Murray will be losing this race by about 6 points.

Also, very popular Senator John Kerry went unopposed.

Strickland lost to John Kasich in 2010.
Incipimus iterum
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #226 on: June 28, 2012, 04:28:21 PM »

he made changes to some elections in 2010 in his Tl
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #227 on: June 28, 2012, 04:53:55 PM »

Chris: And now we have a few more closely-watched races coming in. Tonight is a good night to have the last name "Brown." Both former Senators Sherrod Brown and Scott Brown have successfully made political comebacks.

In Ohio, Democratic Governor Ted Strickland was term-limited. Despite Brown's loss in 2012, Ohio Republicans have become increasingly unpopular. While Governor Strickland leaves office with an lukewarm 41/45 approval rating, Ohioans give the Republican Legislative Majority a dismal 32/51 rating. Those numbers translated into an uphill battle for Republican nominee Josh Mandel. While Mandel did well in the west, Brown but together a coalition of the urban north and Appalachian east to win.

Rachel: And in my state of Massachusetts, we will have a new Governor. Governor Duval Patrick forewent a 3rd term in favoring of becoming the new DNC Chairman. While Scott Brown was voted out of his Senate seat in 2012, polls showed that Bay State voters still viewed him favorably. Brown built a geographic coalition similar to that of his 2010 Senate upset. Lieutenant Governor Tim Murray will be losing this race by about 6 points.

Also, very popular Senator John Kerry went unopposed.

Strickland lost to John Kasich in 2010.

Yeah he gave Lincoln and Strickland wins instead of their real opponents.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #228 on: June 28, 2012, 04:57:58 PM »

And their names are Don Carcieri and Lincoln Chafee.  You called them by the wrong names.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #229 on: June 28, 2012, 05:03:21 PM »

Yes, I saved Blanche Lincoln and Ted Strickland by a few hundred votes each.

I think I referred to Lincoln Chafee as Lincoln Davis; I think Julio pointed that out a few months ago.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #230 on: June 28, 2012, 10:25:06 PM »

I'll have to update tomorrow...I'm at the beach and I have very erratic WiFi; I didn't accomplish as much as I planned to today.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix
E: 10.00, S: -4.26

« Reply #231 on: June 29, 2012, 12:34:09 AM »

I'll have to update tomorrow...I'm at the beach and I have very erratic WiFi; I didn't accomplish as much as I planned to today.

Take your time Wink
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #232 on: June 29, 2012, 10:40:50 PM »

JINDAL, WARNER JUMP OUT TO EARLY LEAD IN IOWA; HUNTSMAN AND MILLER PERFORM SURPRISINGLY WELL

AP: 39% of precincts reporting:

REPUBLICANS

DEMOCRATS

Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #233 on: June 30, 2012, 03:13:26 AM »

Interesting to see how well Huntsman does in Iowa considering how well he did otl.  Looking Forward to more Wink
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #234 on: June 30, 2012, 05:22:43 AM »

Interesting to see how well Huntsman does in Iowa considering how well he did otl.  Looking Forward to more Wink

This.

Miller vs. Huntsman would be the best campaign ever.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #235 on: June 30, 2012, 06:22:11 PM »

This.

Who's Miller?  Is he a favorite of yours?
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #236 on: June 30, 2012, 07:07:51 PM »

This.

A progressive democrat congressman from NC, who will not run for reelection this year because of redistricting...
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #237 on: June 30, 2012, 09:53:52 PM »

This.

A progressive democrat congressman from NC, who will not run for reelection this year because of redistricting...

Yes; here's a bit more background on Miller:

As Julio alluded to, redistricting played a big part in starting (and ending) his Congressional career. Back in 2000, he was the NC State Senator who led the redistricting Committee. Back then, NC gained one seat in the census; he drew the new 13th district for himself. He won 5 terms in Congress and was known for his role as a strong Keynesian voice on the Financial Services Committee; he's also a blogger at the DailyKos.

Well, when the Republicans won a majority the NC Legislature in 2010, they controlled redistricting. They turned Miller's 13th from a 59/40 Obama district to a 54/45 McCain one. His other option was to run against Rep. Dave Price, another Democrat, in the redrawn 4th; at 72% Obama, the new 4th was drawn as a Democratic vote sink. Either way, he'd be the underdog, so he just retired. I hear Price may be retiring in a few cycles, so a Miller comeback may be in the cards.

I'm friends with him on my Facebook account (as nerdy as that sounds); we've had a few good conversations about politics.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #238 on: July 01, 2012, 04:04:32 PM »

This.

As Julio alluded to, redistricting played a big part in starting (and ending) his Congressional career. Back in 2000, he was the NC State Senator who led the redistricting Committee. Back then, NC gained one seat in the census; he drew the new 13th district for himself. He won 5 terms in Congress and was known for his role as a strong Keynesian voice on the Financial Services Committee; he's also a blogger at the DailyKos.

Well, when the Republicans won a majority the NC Legislature in 2010, they controlled redistricting. They turned Miller's 13th from a 59/40 Obama district to a 54/45 McCain one. His other option was to run against Rep. Dave Price, another Democrat, in the redrawn 4th; at 72% Obama, the new 4th was drawn as a Democratic vote sink. Either way, he'd be the underdog, so he just retired. I hear Price may be retiring in a few cycles, so a Miller comeback may be in the cards.

I'm friends with him on my Facebook account (as nerdy as that sounds); we've had a few good conversations about politics.

Interesting.  Thanks for the info Wink.

So you're friends with the Congressman on Facebook?  That's pretty cool, I never knew public figures had the time/will to speak with people one-on-one.  I might have to check if Ron Paul's got a Facebook account Wink
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #239 on: July 01, 2012, 08:54:36 PM »

65% of precincts reporting:

REPUBLICANS

DEMOCRATS

FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #240 on: July 01, 2012, 08:56:24 PM »

Been far too lazy to follow this. Looks interesting though.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #241 on: July 03, 2012, 11:23:29 PM »

I'll update this later on July 4th.

For now, a shout-out to one of our newer poster, kenyanobama.

I read this post and I thought of my TL:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

For Romney? This poll is overestimating Romney support.

That's why I've been saying Romney needs to pick Gohmert as VP to energize the base. That's the real problem, not independents.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #242 on: July 03, 2012, 11:25:45 PM »

Its crazy, the Democratic party is often considered the party for minorities, yet half of the GOP candidates are minority race, and one is female. In comparison, the Democrats are running 6 men, only one being a minority (and probably towards the bottom of the pack!).
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #243 on: July 03, 2012, 11:28:25 PM »

Its crazy, the Democratic party is often considered the party for minorities, yet half of the GOP candidates are minority race, and one is female. In comparison, the Democrats are running 6 men, only one being a minority (and probably towards the bottom of the pack!).

I thought of that too after I picked the candidates. haha

My Republicans are definitely much more diverse.
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #244 on: July 04, 2012, 02:51:33 AM »

Moderate Dems and Moderate Repubs are much more frequent in Miles's TLs. Wink
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #245 on: July 04, 2012, 11:28:23 AM »

This.

So you're friends with the Congressman on Facebook?  That's pretty cool, I never knew public figures had the time/will to speak with people one-on-one.  I might have to check if Ron Paul's got a Facebook account Wink
His wife does. I tried to add her, but her friend requests were maxed out. I have found Barry Goldwater Jr, Tom Tancredo, and most of the Bush families personal facebooks.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #246 on: July 04, 2012, 11:59:29 AM »

This.

His wife does. I tried to add her, but her friend requests were maxed out. I have found Barry Goldwater Jr, Tom Tancredo, and most of the Bush families personal facebooks.
Im surprised that they are so open with their personal stuff.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #247 on: July 04, 2012, 12:05:12 PM »

Who would be more of a fiscal conservative, Cuomo or Warner?  Also, does anyone know Cuomo's positions on gun control?
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #248 on: July 04, 2012, 10:06:21 PM »

JINDAL HOLDS ON DESPITE GOHMERT SURGE; WARNER CLINGS TO VICTORY OVER UDALL, MILLER

100% of precincts reporting

Republicans

Democrats

Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #249 on: July 04, 2012, 10:31:52 PM »

Cool
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16  
« previous next »