Can a person's worth to society be quantified? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 10:00:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Can a person's worth to society be quantified? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Can a person's worth to society be quantified?  (Read 3534 times)
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« on: June 29, 2012, 09:10:17 AM »

Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 05:17:21 PM »

Of course it can--anything can be quantified
I think hyper-rationalism like this is misguided.  Some things aren't quantitative, and to try to make you are asking for distortion and neglect of something important.    A person's worth to society is a fuzzy concept outside of a particular tradition about it.  You can limit your definition of worth to things that can be quantified, and limit your definition of society to some discrete, static entity in a transactional relation to an individual.  But that just answers the question with a tautology. The only thing you are measuring then is the extent of your own model.

Did you read the rest of my post?

I certainly did at least and still think it is wrong (misguided, really).
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 07:43:57 PM »

Of course it can--anything can be quantified
I think hyper-rationalism like this is misguided.  Some things aren't quantitative, and to try to make you are asking for distortion and neglect of something important.    A person's worth to society is a fuzzy concept outside of a particular tradition about it.  You can limit your definition of worth to things that can be quantified, and limit your definition of society to some discrete, static entity in a transactional relation to an individual.  But that just answers the question with a tautology. The only thing you are measuring then is the extent of your own model.

Did you read the rest of my post?

I certainly did at least and still think it is wrong (misguided, really).

My point is that it is hypothetically possible to quantify anything in the general sense of the term, but that it's effectively impossible to do so with any accuracy without omniscience (ie extremely detailed and accurate data), which doesn't exist for humanity. In that sense, I agree with shua's post. However, I disagree with the notion that unquantifiable things exist; I believe that some things are insufficiently quantifiable to an objective standard, but that doesn't mean you can't, through some process, assign such a value. To me, saying you can't quantify something at all says that you aren't trying hard enough. If that's misguided, so be it, but it's generally a moot point anyway.

I understand what you are saying but it is complete nonsense. The reason why we can't quantify 'value' is because simply the term has no fixed meaning and can only be based on entirely subjective premises. "Value" is an abstract concept like "love" or "happiness", now I don't suppose you can quantify either of those two even if we were omniscience.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies