Trump: NFL should fire players who kneel during anthem (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 26, 2024, 06:07:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump: NFL should fire players who kneel during anthem (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Trump: NFL should fire players who kneel during anthem  (Read 19750 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

« on: September 25, 2017, 07:37:51 PM »

I never stand for the anthem for a variety of reasons one mainly being the countries views on Arabs and Muslims. And guess what, it's perfectly my right as an American to do that. It's not unamerican as the TRIGGERED right claims it is.

I do not see a problem with NFL players kneeling either. It's another false outrage the President and the right have.

Arab Muslims were responsible for 9/11.  And many Arab Muslims in America, at a minimum, have a degree of sympathy for Islamic Jihadists.  Given the hostility these nations have toward Israel, why should it be shocking that American citizens have the attitudes some of them have toward Arab Muslims?  Should it be considered unreasonable that American citizens may have doubts as to whether or not Arab Muslims have the same loyalty to America, right or wrong, that they have?

I'll agree that there's false outrage.  But why shouldn't I question the loyalty to America someone who refuses to stand for the Anthem out of loyalty to their country of origin and a grudge against American citizens who support, say, Trump's immigration ban?  Is America YOUR country?  Or is it just where you live?  

That's a real important question because we are NOT a nation bound by "blood and soil" as most nations of the world are.  If we are a nation where significant blocs of its CITIZENS have divided loyalties, let alone a primary loyalty to another nation, ethnic group, religious sect, etc, than what becomes of our experiment in self-government?  How can America function as a nation when one group or another are preoccupied with its ethnic and racial grievances (however justified) to the point where their loyalty to America is conditional?  What one has a right to do or not do is an entirely different question than the question of what attitudes on the part of American citizens are necessary in order for our continuing experiment in self-government and individual liberty to be successful.  When I was young, I thought this unimportant; even authoritarian, but as history has unfolded, I recognize that for America to work, its citizens have to be committed to its success, even over the perceived interest of their own groups of which they consider themselves members of.  

Look at the beam in your own eye? Your candidate literally egged on a foreign military intelligence attack on US citizens, and insulted our own country's civil servants, endangering their lives in the process. If he had loyalty to America, he would not have done that, regardless of partisan politics, and you forfeited the right to talk about "loyalty" when you supported him after his remarks.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 09:46:54 PM »

I never stand for the anthem for a variety of reasons one mainly being the countries views on Arabs and Muslims. And guess what, it's perfectly my right as an American to do that. It's not unamerican as the TRIGGERED right claims it is.

I do not see a problem with NFL players kneeling either. It's another false outrage the President and the right have.

Arab Muslims were responsible for 9/11.  And many Arab Muslims in America, at a minimum, have a degree of sympathy for Islamic Jihadists.  Given the hostility these nations have toward Israel, why should it be shocking that American citizens have the attitudes some of them have toward Arab Muslims?  Should it be considered unreasonable that American citizens may have doubts as to whether or not Arab Muslims have the same loyalty to America, right or wrong, that they have?

I'll agree that there's false outrage.  But why shouldn't I question the loyalty to America someone who refuses to stand for the Anthem out of loyalty to their country of origin and a grudge against American citizens who support, say, Trump's immigration ban?  Is America YOUR country?  Or is it just where you live?  

That's a real important question because we are NOT a nation bound by "blood and soil" as most nations of the world are.  If we are a nation where significant blocs of its CITIZENS have divided loyalties, let alone a primary loyalty to another nation, ethnic group, religious sect, etc, than what becomes of our experiment in self-government?  How can America function as a nation when one group or another are preoccupied with its ethnic and racial grievances (however justified) to the point where their loyalty to America is conditional?  What one has a right to do or not do is an entirely different question than the question of what attitudes on the part of American citizens are necessary in order for our continuing experiment in self-government and individual liberty to be successful.  When I was young, I thought this unimportant; even authoritarian, but as history has unfolded, I recognize that for America to work, its citizens have to be committed to its success, even over the perceived interest of their own groups of which they consider themselves members of.  

Look at the beam in your own eye? Your candidate literally egged on a foreign military intelligence attack on US citizens, and insulted our own country's civil servants, endangering their lives in the process. If he had loyalty to America, he would not have done that, regardless of partisan politics, and you forfeited the right to talk about "loyalty" when you supported him after his remarks.
My right to question the loyalty of the kneelers isn't forfeited.  I'm going to use that right again and again. 

Trump is far more loyal to America than the kneelers.  That being said, his actions here, upon reflection are un-American.  That Colin Kaepernick is anti-American doesn't change that.

You can, but you sound like a preacher talking about fidelity while cheating on his wife.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 10:03:35 PM »

To be clear, I appreciate Fuzzy Bear's willingness to change his opinion. I think he's a quality poster overall, even though we strongly disagree on a lot of issues. I am just still mystified at how anyone can talk about nationalism and the flag while excusing Trump's invitation to the Russians to hack us last year. I realize that's a different topic and some liberals don't even care about it but it's just mind-boggling.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies