Philly map
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 02:36:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Philly map
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Philly map  (Read 5460 times)
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2005, 05:28:02 PM »

Ah, excepting perhaps northwest Germantown, it looks like a map of Black neighborhoods. 

Would you agree with me on thsi map at least?

Possibly excepting the upper Northeast, yes.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2005, 03:07:53 AM »
« Edited: May 24, 2005, 03:09:49 AM by Flyers2006 »

Ah, excepting perhaps northwest Germantown, it looks like a map of Black neighborhoods. 

One thing about the upper Northeast is it's more liberal than you think.  Most assume it's the most conservative, but actually the Dems (other than the State House) don't do all that bad here.  Most of what's west of Roosevelt Blvd. is Jewish and very liberal.  Even the Catholics in these areas (barring Fox Chase) are also less uptight than the ones on the east side of the Blvd.  My opinion is Fox Chase is hands down the most conservative, followed by Winchester and Lexington Parks, then probably Torresdale/Morrell Park/Eden Hall.  Again, the boundaries were not created by myself so I did the best I could.  The Northeast itself should be isolated a broken down into many, many chunks.  It would look like a rainbow once I got done with it, but it would take an awful lot of time.

Even within the very liberal areas I should have color coded the white Starbucks Dems (more eco. right, soc. left) and the black Dems (more eco. left, soc. right), but both are aggregately very liberal. 
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2005, 04:49:02 PM »

One thing about the upper Northeast is it's more liberal than you think.  Most assume it's the most conservative, but actually the Dems (other than the State House) don't do all that bad here.  Most of what's west of Roosevelt Blvd. is Jewish and very liberal. 

But they are still outnumbered by conservative Catholics. Even if they aren't churchgoers, Catholics in this area usually stay close to their conservative upbringing.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2005, 01:31:48 AM »

One thing about the upper Northeast is it's more liberal than you think.  Most assume it's the most conservative, but actually the Dems (other than the State House) don't do all that bad here.  Most of what's west of Roosevelt Blvd. is Jewish and very liberal. 

But they are still outnumbered by conservative Catholics. Even if they aren't churchgoers, Catholics in this area usually stay close to their conservative upbringing.

Wouldn't be so sure about that one.  IHMO, the most socailly conservative neighborhoods in Philly are Bridesburg and Fox Chase.  Most social conservatism from non-Church goers is usually "keep Section 8 out of my neighborhood" and doesn't extend much further.  Interestingly most of these people listen to Stern, watch the raunchiest stuff on Comedy Central and Sex in the City.   
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2005, 03:22:05 AM »
« Edited: June 19, 2005, 03:24:19 AM by Flyers2006 »

More interesting stuff to add.  From PoliticsPhilly.com.

2003 Philly Mayoral Election:

2001 Philly Voter Registration by Ward

2001 Dem Registration

2001 GOP Registration
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2005, 03:35:49 AM »

Interesting stuff I found from this.  For you out of towners, as you can see from the Mayoral map, Republicans really do have a shot here albeit not THAT much of one at the national or even Congressional level though.

Wards I'm surprised how Democratic they were:  63rd, 65th and 66th.  63rd has the most Republican neighborhood in the city, Fox Chase.  The Jewish areas in that ward must be REALLY Democratic.  65th is well Phil's Ward and by the way Phil- it's quite blue!  66th went for Reagan in 1984 by a 2 to 1 margin making it his best ward that year.  What happened since?

Wards I'm surprised how Republican: 25th, 45th and 55th.  If I were to drive an out of towner through any of these wards and told them the Republicans have strong teeth in these areas, they'd probably laugh at me.  Hell, the 55th in Mayfair IS a Republican majority.  The other Republican majority ward right next to it is the 64th Ward, which is House Speaker John Perzel's home.  No surprise there.  I can and will chalk these wards up to one thing: extremely popular Republican state Reps.  The 25th and 45th are in a lower middle/working class area, are still Democratic, but not by as much as even I thought.  Historically these were strongly Democratic, union areas, but have a lot of Polish Catholics who in turn were Reagan Democrats.         
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2005, 11:03:05 PM »

65th is well Phil's Ward and by the way Phil- it's quite blue! 

The area around me is pretty Republican but as you go further into Holmesburg, you pick up the Joan Krawjewski-Mike McGeehan Dems.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2005, 10:23:25 AM »

65th is well Phil's Ward and by the way Phil- it's quite blue! 

The area around me is pretty Republican but as you go further into Holmesburg, you pick up the Joan Krawjewski-Mike McGeehan Dems.

Makes sense.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies