SAM News Corp. Comment and Debate thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 01:42:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SAM News Corp. Comment and Debate thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11
Author Topic: SAM News Corp. Comment and Debate thread  (Read 20692 times)
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: December 20, 2005, 12:13:40 AM »

It recently occured to me that this senate hasn't passed any forum affairs legislation whatsoever, according to the AFW, and the only forum affairs legislation under consideration right now is for a secret ballot.  Though said secret ballot is good, has everyone suddenly forgotten the debacle that was the October election?

Most of it is all waiting for the secret ballot amendment.  Once that passes (and it had better pass... insert an evil grin here), we can get to my Electoral Reform Bill, which is basically a complete overhaul of the electoral system.  It's there, we just haven't gotten around to it yet, which is, admittedly, not good time that we're making.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #201 on: December 20, 2005, 04:06:54 AM »

The trouble with teh senate is the lack of anything resenbling a majority or a minority.
The problem is that, when we get rid of the two prty system(and what a bad decision that was), we replaced it with some 'parties' that don0t actually do anything. There is no cohesion, no internal structure, nothing. How many times have we seen two people of the same party running against each other. This is even worse at the seante.
Either we have a two, at best three party system, ot we have a non-partisan democracy, which I'm starting to think would be a good idea for us. What e can't afford to have is to have a multy-party system that is conposed entirely of joke parties.
Other ting that is seriously creating trouble is the appearing of an arystocracy of incumbents, but I've got a solution for that.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #202 on: December 20, 2005, 04:27:55 AM »

Our elections are already largely conducted in a non-partisan way. Most races are decided on the basis of the candidate rather than his or her party; The only noticable exception in the last cycle was your race actually, and whether your party names were on the ballot or not, this would not have changed.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #203 on: December 20, 2005, 08:31:10 AM »

Where is the current system different from a no-party system in practice?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #204 on: December 20, 2005, 08:33:33 AM »

You know how the legislation introduction thing works don't you?
I'm actually not quite sure that I do... a nice unbeaurocratic but also unbiased description is something I sought and could not find/get when I served in the senate for a couple of days...tho' I understood enough to understand there was no point in introducing something for that couple of days...

You must be logged in to read this quote.
How about amending those? Would that be feasible.

The system was designed to be fairly autocratic because, as previous experience indicated from the 1st to the 5th Senates, where there is true democracy in the Senate and no solid leadership, very little, if anything occurs.

It was also the natural consequence of what previous legislation by Bono and Gabu in particular had tried to set up using previous SPRs.  Amazingly enough, I did not come into the Senate attempting to rewrite its rules, I mainly did so because I felt the pace of the Senate in the Sixth Session was going too fast for most citizens to keep up, there were too few minority rights in the Senate and that there were inherent contradictions between some of the SPRs.

What I did in the OSPR was extend the natural consequences of the previous legislation.  That's all.
Okay wait a second.
The PPT or VP can put just any of the introduced bills up for debate in any order they like?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #205 on: December 20, 2005, 08:37:22 AM »

Okay wait a second.
The PPT or VP can put just any of the introduced bills up for debate in any order they like?

If the two publically agree on it... yes.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #206 on: December 20, 2005, 03:08:09 PM »

Okay wait a second.

If the two publically agree on it... yes.

And if there isn't a motion called in the Senate to reverse the decision and two-thirds of the Senate votes for it.  When you think about it, before this measure was put in, the PPT or VP could really do anything they wanted.  The whole point was to establish some checks and balances and give minority rights, while keeping flexibility.

I'm actually thinking of making this type of motion easier to pass, putting it at a majority, instead of two-thirds, fwiw.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #207 on: December 20, 2005, 05:38:09 PM »

And if there isn't a motion called in the Senate to reverse the decision and two-thirds of the Senate votes for it.

True

Also true. Note that I never said that the OSPR wasn't an improvement on what we had before...

Good
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #208 on: December 20, 2005, 06:29:46 PM »

Sam, the last installment of the social security reform results should have been posted by now.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #209 on: December 20, 2005, 11:40:52 PM »

Sam, the last installment of the social security reform results should have been posted by now.

I will have the report on the trip out tonight, and if for some reason I don't get around to adding up the figures on the different plans TSR tonight (which takes a good bit of time, unfortunately), I should have it by tomorrow.
WiseGuy

« Reply #210 on: December 21, 2005, 07:12:19 AM »

Another question for when you return; how many Special Forces units do we have and how much does the pay and equipment for those units cost?  I'd also like to know how many non-special forces infantry units we have and how much they cost, too.  Thanks!

Hey Sam, I really need this info, ASAP.  Smiley

I really need this information.

Presently, we have, as far as I can estimate, about 50-55,000 Special Operations Forces in the branches of the military.  The cost to train each special forces member is about $350,000.

If I can get some more time to make it through the Defense Department's website, I can probably you answers to the rest of the questions.

Thanks alot!
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #211 on: December 21, 2005, 07:18:22 AM »

Another question for when you return; how many Special Forces units do we have and how much does the pay and equipment for those units cost?  I'd also like to know how many non-special forces infantry units we have and how much they cost, too.  Thanks!

Presently, we have, as far as I can estimate, about 50-55,000 Special Operations Forces in the branches of the military.  The cost to train each special forces member is about $350,000.

If I can get some more time to make it through the Defense Department's website, I can probably you answers to the rest of the questions.

Thanks alot!

Did you take into account my military enlargement bill from a while ago?

https://uselectionatlas.org/AFEWIKI/index.php/Military_Enlargement_Act
Siege40

Political Matrix
E: -6.25, S: -4.26

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #212 on: December 21, 2005, 03:40:26 PM »

Final lesson, don't run for the presidency, it's murder on your career if you win.

Siege
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #213 on: December 31, 2005, 03:10:14 AM »

Thanks alot!

Did you take into account my military enlargement bill from a while ago?

https://uselectionatlas.org/AFEWIKI/index.php/Military_Enlargement_Act

The Army Rangers total roughly about 2,000 Rangers.

The initative lets 40% more people in over the next years (800 people).  Considering barely six months has passed, maybe 5% more people have joined (or 100 people).  Not that great of a difference in my mind.
WiseGuy

« Reply #214 on: January 02, 2006, 08:23:23 PM »
« Edited: January 02, 2006, 08:27:45 PM by SoD Ron Dubya »

I also need the cost of training regular infantry units, plus the cost of equipment for both types of units, and an estimate of how many troops are currently in boot camp in all divisions of the Armed Forces.  Just a reminder.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #215 on: January 04, 2006, 05:43:27 PM »

Sam, can we please have an update?  Would you like an assistant or something?
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #216 on: January 05, 2006, 09:17:24 PM »

I must say we need more than one GMs.  I say this in no offense to Sam at all but it is such a time comsuming job.  I think we should have two for economics and budget, one for international issues, and one to generate non-economic domestic scenarios.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #217 on: January 22, 2006, 10:56:41 PM »

Ahem.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #218 on: January 23, 2006, 03:11:10 PM »

Ahem.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #219 on: January 23, 2006, 04:40:04 PM »

Wahoo!  I get write my budget now!

Wait, why does that excite me?
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #220 on: March 26, 2006, 03:57:53 AM »

They're removing the wounds or removing the bullets?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #221 on: March 26, 2006, 12:53:12 PM »

They're removing the wounds or removing the bullets?

Bullets.  I see that I wasn't clear on that.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #222 on: March 27, 2006, 03:28:57 PM »

Let me express my firm wishes for the swift recovery of my esteemed Senate colleague and ally, Dave "DemoHawk". Smiley
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #223 on: April 02, 2006, 01:20:33 PM »

I'm deeply saddened Sad that police have found a link between former President True Independent and the assassination plot on my life. I had hoped he might not have been involved and it was the plot of some other Puerto Rican liberationist movement

'Hawk'
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #224 on: April 02, 2006, 01:36:11 PM »

I'm deeply saddened Sad that police have found a link between former President True Independent and the assassination plot on my life. I had hoped he might not have been involved and it was the plot of some other Puerto Rican liberationist movement

'Hawk'

You think that you had an assasination plot by a former head of state, don't make me luahg. I had the entire Chinese Government after me, and they had a plan to poision my food when I went to China State Dinner in January 2005, but I kept it all under my hat for more than a year!

So while you are upset over one head of state trying to end your life, remember I had a whole government after me!

(BTW, this is but a merry jest.)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies