Election Night 1983 : The Anniversary (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 08:11:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Election Night 1983 : The Anniversary (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Election Night 1983 : The Anniversary  (Read 2318 times)
countydurhamboy
Rookie
United Kingdom

« on: April 01, 2013, 07:07:57 PM »
« edited: April 01, 2013, 07:29:14 PM by countydurhamboy »

Watched all 11 hours of coverage, fascinating.  Now I know hindsight is overrated but I think the BBC coverage and especially the standard of the politicians is much worse now.

Without hindsight, I was surprised how moderate the Tories were. The wets like Prior, Gilmore and  Rippon came over well. The parties MP's views also surprised me, 35% of them in favour of an economic stimulus, hardly any of them wanting to cut welfare and not one Eurosceptic anywhere. They came across as competent and united. Unfortunately for Britain this wasn't the case and the party became a bunch of free market Crazies.

Labour came across as out of touch, and too busy squabbling over internal party matters than trying to help people. Only Kinnock seemed able to get the message across, I feel sorry Foot though, he seemed such a decent man.

The alliance were so irritating, especially Williams, in fact, I'm pleased the tory beat her. PR, PR, PR, how well they were going to do in 1987 election, and more PR. Thats all them and their friends in the BBC wanted to talk about. Not like there was anything else more important facing the county. You would have thought they had won the popular vote, or indeed the election.

It seems, somehow insulting to put it last, but Gerry Fitt gave a fine speech. I can't believe Belfast west chose Mr IRA Gerry Adams over him. What a courageous man!

countydurhamboy
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 08:09:00 PM »

b]Without[/b] hindsight, I was surprised how moderate the Tories were. The wets like Prior, Gilmore and  Rippon came over well. The parties MP's views also surprised me, 35% of them in favour of an economic stimulus, hardly any of them wanting to cut welfare and not one Eurosceptic anywhere. They came across as competent and united. Unfortunately for Britain this wasn't the case and the party became a bunch of free market Crazies.

When you actually saw the raw results coming in for the Tories as well, it really home just why they probably won't win in 2015. Some of the stronger Tory seats are marginal at best these days exactly because of what you're saying here - just look at Finchley (and Golders Green, of course)!

That, and Labour's attitude immediately after 2010 was just completely different, but that goes without saying.
Yeah, I agree completely. You could also see beginnings of large scale tactical voting against them, in those southern results like Torbay.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies