Presidential Ratings and Predictions - Arizona (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 09, 2024, 09:35:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Presidential Ratings and Predictions - Arizona (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Rate Arizona and Predict Who Will Win
Safe D

Likely D

Lean D

Toss-Up

Lean R

Likely R

Safe R

Clinton

Trump

Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 182

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Presidential Ratings and Predictions - Arizona  (Read 5105 times)
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« on: July 05, 2016, 12:08:46 PM »

Two votes. One for a rating (Safe D, Lean R, Toss-Up, etc.) and one for a prediction of who will win (Clinton, Trump, or Other). If you missed one of the votes in previous threads, you can go back and change your vote.

Update/vote in these threads if you haven't already! There's no time limit: Alabama Alaska

Ratings

Safe Clinton: 0
Likely Clinton: 0
Lean Clinton: 0
Toss-Up: 0
Lean Trump: 0
Likely Trump: 3
Safe Trump: 9

Trump: 12
Clinton: 0
Toss-Up: 0

Predictions

Trump: 12
Clinton: 0

Arizona: Lean R, 51-46 Trump. Looks like it should be more competitive than in recent years.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2016, 06:31:50 PM »

Are you averaging all the votes for the results, or...?

(I. E. If it was about 50-50 Lean D/Lean R, would you call it a tossup or whichever had more slightly?)

I take the median response, right now its very close between Lean R and Toss-Up. So if a poll has 50 votes for example, I count 25 votes in from either Safe R and Safe D and wherever that vote is would be the result.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 05:42:50 PM »

If there's no median vote (which can happen if Safe D + Likely D + Lean D + Toss-Up = Lean R + Likely R + Safe R) then I'll take which option has the most amount of votes (Toss-Up in this thread) in the case of a tie.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 09:22:48 PM »

If there's no median vote (which can happen if Safe D + Likely D + Lean D + Toss-Up = Lean R + Likely R + Safe R) then I'll take which option has the most amount of votes (Toss-Up in this thread) in the case of a tie.
Shouldn't you take the option with the least votes in a tie, since that would indicate that that side has more confidence?

I'm struggling to figure out what you mean. If toss-up + all D = lean R + all other R, and lean R has less votes because there are more likely R and Safe R votes than D votes, how does that make Lean R more confident? All it indicates is more people think its strongly Republican than strongly Democratic.

I'm confusing myself. My goodness. Florida is actually tied both numerically and median vote wise between Toss-Up and Lean D, and I legitimately don't know what I'm going to do if it stays like that.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2016, 01:32:44 PM »

Shouldn't you take the option with the least votes in a tie, since that would indicate that that side has more confidence?

I'm struggling to figure out what you mean. If toss-up + all D = lean R + all other R, and lean R has less votes because there are more likely R and Safe R votes than D votes, how does that make Lean R more confident? All it indicates is more people think its strongly Republican than strongly Democratic.

I'm confusing myself. My goodness. Florida is actually tied both numerically and median vote wise between Toss-Up and Lean D, and I legitimately don't know what I'm going to do if it stays like that.
that's my point Tongue. Imagine a (purely theoretical) state where the vote is like this:

2 Safe D
0 Likely D
3 Lean D
17 Tossup
18 Lean R
3 Likely R
1 Safe R

By your system, this would be categorized under Lean R. However, if two people change from Lean R to Likely R:

2 Safe D
0 Likely D
3 Lean D
17 Tossup
16 Lean R
5 Likely R
1 Safe R

then the race flips to Tossup, even though all movement has been in the R direction. To me it makes more sense to reverse this, so that the move towards R flips it in the opposite direction.

sh**t, that is ed up. Reversing it though would still be discriminatory because two sides are still equal. To make it simpler and easier, I'll just classify it as 'undecided' if there's no median vote and encourage people to break the tie in the next thread.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies