JFK and Vietnam (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 07:42:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  JFK and Vietnam (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Do you honestly believe that John F. Kennedy, had he lived, would have pulled out of Vietnam?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 16

Author Topic: JFK and Vietnam  (Read 2546 times)
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« on: May 09, 2008, 03:45:39 AM »

I was talking about this with my Dad, prior to my Debate on Tuesday night. We both came to the conclusion that had John F. Kennedy had of lived past November 22, 1963, that he would have kept American "military advisors" in Vietnam. He probably would have signed the Gulf of Tonkin Resolution in August 1964 and he would have taken similar actions to what Lyndon Johnson did in Vietnam in RL.

Now I call upon you all, to discuss your answer, regarding the following question:

Do you honestly believe that John F. Kennedy, had he lived, would have pulled out of Vietnam?

Discuss.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 04:54:04 PM »

I think that Johnson gave into public pressure from the foreign advisors to send troops to Vietnam.

But Lyndon Johnson never gave into pressue from his team of foreign advisers regarding the War in Vietnam. He was a staunch believer in the Domino Theory likewise with President's Eisenhower and Kennedy before him and President Johnson would do anything to stop South East Asia from falling under Communist influence. Why do you think then within weeks of succeeding President Kennedy in the White House that Johnson granted the South Vietnamese Government an extra $500 million in military aide to fight off the North Vietnamese? Lyndon Johnson never gave into pressure my friend, he was still afraid of Cold War hysteria that is all.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies