Chavez threatens Mexican President - Let's bomb Chavez!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 11:50:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Chavez threatens Mexican President - Let's bomb Chavez!
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Chavez threatens Mexican President - Let's bomb Chavez!  (Read 1115 times)
ThePrezMex
Mexico

Political Matrix
E: 5.25, S: -1.69

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 13, 2005, 08:58:54 PM »

During the failed summitt in Argentina, President Fox complained about Chavez and Kirchner's blocking of even a discussion of the FTAA.
This week, Chavez called Fox a "puppy of the United States and its imperialistic policies" and other things. The Mexican government issued an official complaint against the Venezuelan government. Instead of apologizing, today, during the broadcasting of his TV Show, 'Alo Presidente', Chavez threatened Fox. He said: "He should just stop (Fox) messing with me, or he will face the consequences".
This just came out some minutes ago on the Mexican press, so the link is in Spanish:
http://www.eluniversal.com.mx/notas/315613.html

I'm trying to look for a link in English.
It's enough of Chavez bravado. Someone needs to stop him now! If only Mexico had some fighter jets or bombers.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2005, 09:12:29 PM »

Those whom the gods destroy, they first make mad.

Chavez is losing it.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2005, 09:19:39 PM »

lo entendemos bastante bien.

When I saw your post I was going to say:  I say you have been living in Texas too long.  Your loose translation "messing with" might be better rendered "assail" in American Standard English.

Then I read it.  It actually says "no se meta conmigo caballero"

I suppose "Don't mess with me, cowboy" is a latino thing as well.  Wink

It appears to be feigned bravado put on for the journalists.  He also says he was "ambushed" as nearly as I can make out.  The thing is, relations between Mexico and Venezuela are somewhat bitter because of the ideological differences between Fox and Chavez.  The article says that Chávez calls Fox a "cachorro de EU"  As you well know, many mexicans call him that as well.  Anyway, Venezuela doesn't have the means to affect Fox in any substantial way.  Welcome to the first world, amigo, folks will assail your president more and more as your country becomes a bigger and bigger player.  Just the way it is.  Look at what that poor bastard King George III had to put up with.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2005, 09:35:17 PM »

This is all just a teacup storm.  Mexico and Venezuela don't really have much to do with each other: no mutual border, minimal trade, not even direct airline flights! The diplomats will try to find some nice way around it, or else the ambassadors will have to fly back home for a while (the Mexican one transferring planes in Panama or in Miami and the Venezuelan in Cuba).  Even if they broke up diplomatic relations tomorrow, there hardly would be 5000 people worldwide to notice.

The Venezuelan community in Mexico is, actually, growing nicely these days, for obvious reasons (not as nicely as the one in Miami, but still quite fast, at least anecdotally). One way for Mexico to get even in a very material way would be to announce a migration visa quota for Venezuelan medical doctors (and automatic recognition of their diplomas, of course).  Given what I hear, they might have a problem staffing hospitals in Cuba, if this happens.  Unfortunately, doctors being doctors, their Mexican colleagues would scream at the prospect!
ThePrezMex
Mexico

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2005, 10:01:24 PM »

I do agree that it is a tempest in a teacup, especially compared to many other much important issues around the globe.
However, I just wanted to point out this because around the forum we have some posters that always defend Chavez, whatever he says or does. And they fail to realize that he is indeed kind of dangerous. Not a terrorist, but he has attempted to destabilize other countries in the region. His complicity with Castro is obvious.
Whatever he does inside Venezuela, that's the problem of the people of Venezuela (not if he starts killing them though). But when he interferes with other nations, then it is an international problem.
Also, this is a personal threat against the Mexican President. As Mexican, I obviously take offense on that, despite the fact that I has never been a supporter of Vicente Fox (although I really was proud that he stood up in favor of free trade during the summit).
I really like AG's suggestion of forbidding Venezuelan doctors coming into Mexico.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2005, 10:23:19 PM »

wonder what Killerpollo thinks...
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2005, 10:23:24 PM »

I really like AG's suggestion of forbidding Venezuelan doctors coming into Mexico.

Sorry, I suggested the opposite: get them all come to Mexico ASAP! It solves two problems: a) it annoys Chavez to no end b) it improves medical care here. Given the attitutude of educated Venezuelans to the regime, a lot of them would move if given a chance and a degree recognition. Semi-joiking, though.

On a more serious note:  Mexico needs an organized program to attract educated migrants (the very fact that educated people are better paid in Mexico than in many "First World" countries indicates a dire shortage). So far it is rather haphazard, but some serious thought should be given to it.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2005, 10:25:01 PM »

I believe it was Tredrick (sorry if I'm wrong) that proposed that we send aircraft over Caracas to deliver food to the slums. First, to show that we oppose Chavez, not his destitute populace and second, to show that we can overfly his country unstopped at any time. Good plan for right now.
ThePrezMex
Mexico

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2005, 10:48:02 PM »

Sorry, I suggested the opposite: get them all come to Mexico ASAP! It solves two problems: a) it annoys Chavez to no end b) it improves medical care here. Given the attitutude of educated Venezuelans to the regime, a lot of them would move if given a chance and a degree recognition. Semi-joiking, though.

On a more serious note:  Mexico needs an organized program to attract educated migrants (the very fact that educated people are better paid in Mexico than in many "First World" countries indicates a dire shortage). So far it is rather haphazard, but some serious thought should be given to it.

Sorry, I didn't read well. I had read the 'effect' that it would cause and I agreed. I do agree also with how to attract educated migrants; although that should be material for another thread.
Blue Rectangle

Political Matrix
E: 8.50, S: -0.62

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2005, 11:14:22 PM »

I believe it was Tredrick (sorry if I'm wrong) that proposed that we send aircraft over Caracas to deliver food to the slums. First, to show that we oppose Chavez, not his destitute populace and second, to show that we can overfly his country unstopped at any time. Good plan for right now.

That was my idea Smiley

As far as threats go, yeah, this is pretty meaningless.  However, Chavez was doing better when it was just him versus the U.S.  It played well in most of Latin America.  Now it seems that he want to make everyone choose sides.  Sorry, Hugo, but most of this hemisphere may dislike the U.S. and quietly applaud your criticisms, but when push comes to shove (as in the FTAA issue), most countries would rather be on our side.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2005, 06:31:02 AM »
« Edited: November 14, 2005, 06:32:48 AM by opebo »

This week, Chavez called Fox a "puppy of the United States and its imperialistic policies" and other things.

This is a perfectly accurate portrayal of Fox, Prexmez.

Hah, the US can't take care of its own massive slum-populations - they're dying from lack of health care and public services.  (Remember New Orleans?)  Given that, I think meddling with people no worse off in Venezuala would ring hollow, Jake.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2005, 11:03:49 AM »

Send in the Mexican Air force! lol
ThePrezMex
Mexico

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2005, 02:57:59 PM »

Haha
Well, that model plane is of the famous "201 Squad" of Mexican planes that fought along the American air force in the Phillippines during WWII.

CNN has the latest of the conflict between Mexico and Venezuela:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/americas/11/14/mexico.venezuela.ap/index.html

KillerPollo
Mexico

Political Matrix
E: -3.15, S: -0.82

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2005, 09:52:09 AM »

Hey, at least we're better than the Canadian Air Force that has ppl w/ handguns attached to the wing of their only plane.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies