Encore of Europe: Rules, Sign-up, and General Discussion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 08:26:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Encore of Europe: Rules, Sign-up, and General Discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 23
Author Topic: Encore of Europe: Rules, Sign-up, and General Discussion  (Read 41749 times)
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: July 11, 2018, 08:38:41 PM »

Lol.  Anyway, the way these have always worked (IIRC) is that when someone dies, new players have a chance to join first as the newly open country.  So in this case, you'd probably have to pick a different country, LouisvilleThunder.  Naples and Georgia are open though, I think.  Would either of those interest you?
No. Spamage PMed me saying that I inherited Charles IV as Spain. So I guess Lumine is right.
Isn't the rule that players can continue playing as their country if their monarch died? I could be wrong, but I certainly don't recall old players having to immediately switch.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #251 on: July 11, 2018, 08:44:07 PM »

Lol.  Anyway, the way these have always worked (IIRC) is that when someone dies, new players have a chance to join first as the newly open country.  So in this case, you'd probably have to pick a different country, LouisvilleThunder.  Naples and Georgia are open though, I think.  Would either of those interest you?
No. Spamage PMed me saying that I inherited Charles IV as Spain. So I guess Lumine is right.
Isn't the rule that players can continue playing as their country if their monarch died? I could be wrong, but I certainly don't recall old players having to immediately switch.

My understanding was that old players only inherited the country if no one new was interested (and Not_Madigan only just indicated his interest).  Maybe Spamage could make a post clarifying things.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #252 on: July 11, 2018, 08:48:55 PM »

This is the way it always has worked. Old players had to switch if their monarch was deposed by a new dynasty or overthrown to a state where a return is impossible.
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #253 on: July 11, 2018, 09:56:46 PM »

Just to clear things up, the general policy I've employed in the past and will continue to use for this game is that players are only replaced upon the death of a monarch if:

a) There's a regency of an unrelated family member for an underage dynastic heir

b) There's no dynastic heir

c) The dynasty is forced out of power entirely (either replaced or overthrown)

d) A claimant within the dynasty seizes power from the existing ruler

e) They no longer wish to keep playing

For an elected ruler:

a) They are assassinated

b) They fail to be reelected (not really a problem with all of these long term limits Wink )

c) The government is overthrown

d) They no longer wish to keep playing

Even with this replacement, it's only a several day gap before they can be invited in any of these cases to reassume their country. We wouldn't want to leave powerful realms without players for too long.

There is general precedent for players continuing after the death of a monarch. Kal continued as the Ottomans in the last game following the assassination of Mustafa III, HenryWallace following the murder of Empress Elizabeth, Dkrol following the death of George II.

In this instance, as Charles IV is of age and still a direct heir of Charles III, Lousville will continue as Spain.

I hope this clears up any confusion. I recognize it's a departure from other games in the past, but it's what I've generally used in both this game and its predecessor.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #254 on: July 12, 2018, 02:07:49 AM »

And Madigan, I suppose Brazil should be playable. Or maybe Japan or the Durannis?

Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #255 on: July 12, 2018, 06:15:01 AM »

Alrighty then, the people have spoken.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #256 on: July 12, 2018, 08:44:36 AM »

And Madigan, I suppose Brazil should be playable. Or maybe Japan or the Durannis?
Japan could be interesting. I wouldn’t mind Durrani opposition, but you might not last long.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #257 on: July 12, 2018, 02:49:53 PM »

On an another note, with the hypothesis that the players are rationale, here is my prediction for the next 30 years:
-There will be a diplomatic revolution: in Central Europe: right now there are 2 big feuds in Central Europe: Prussia vs Austria, and Russia vs the Ottomans and Sweden. With Poland being out of it for now. 2 main things will change the current alliances:
     x Prussia will naturally become the natural ally of Russia as Sweden will be even more powerful with the annexation of Denmark with this personal union stuff.
     x Austria will become more and more wary of Russian  expansion because any revolt in the Balkans would obviously threaten the stability of Austria with all the minorities in Austria that could inspire themselves from the slaves. So the Ottomans would become progressively the natural ally of Austria.

So that means that for the next season of this game in 20-30 years, if the players are rationale, it should be in Central Europe these following coalitions: Austria-Ottomans-Sweden vs Prussia-Russia

If this plays out, it will make for an interesting third stage of the Concert of Europe series that I'm planning.

In some ways it can be argued that this is what happened IRL:

-Maria Theresa considered declaring war against Catherine of Russia when she invaded the Ottomans as she was worried about russian extension. And Austria, while remaining neutral, was definitely hostile to Russian expansion during the Crimean war.

-As for Russia and Prussia, I read that had Austria Hungary joined the Franco-Prussian war in 1869-1870 there was a secret signed between Russia and Bismarck saying that Russia would have joined the war on the Prussian side.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #258 on: July 12, 2018, 03:17:53 PM »

On an another note,

I consider the Treaty of Paris as my biggest diplomatic acomplishment in all the Lumine-Spamage-DKrol game, even better than the Carlist-Alfonsist reconciliation and the Viserys-Aegon reconciliation!
Dereich
YaBB God

« Reply #259 on: July 12, 2018, 04:10:31 PM »

On an another note, with the hypothesis that the players are rationale, here is my prediction for the next 30 years:
-There will be a diplomatic revolution: in Central Europe: right now there are 2 big feuds in Central Europe: Prussia vs Austria, and Russia vs the Ottomans and Sweden. With Poland being out of it for now. 2 main things will change the current alliances:
     x Prussia will naturally become the natural ally of Russia as Sweden will be even more powerful with the annexation of Denmark with this personal union stuff.
     x Austria will become more and more wary of Russian  expansion because any revolt in the Balkans would obviously threaten the stability of Austria with all the minorities in Austria that could inspire themselves from the slaves. So the Ottomans would become progressively the natural ally of Austria.

So that means that for the next season of this game in 20-30 years, if the players are rationale, it should be in Central Europe these following coalitions: Austria-Ottomans-Sweden vs Prussia-Russia

If this plays out, it will make for an interesting third stage of the Concert of Europe series that I'm planning.

In some ways it can be argued that this is what happened IRL:

-Maria Theresa considered declaring war against Catherine of Russia when she invaded the Ottomans as she was worried about russian extension. And Austria, while remaining neutral, was definitely hostile to Russian expansion during the Crimean war.

-As for Russia and Prussia, I read that had Austria Hungary joined the Franco-Prussian war in 1869-1870 there was a secret signed between Russia and Bismarck saying that Russia would have joined the war on the Prussian side.

I think other diplomatic alignments are possible; there is no need to think of Sweden-Ottoman-Russia  and Austria-Prussia as be-all-end-all rivalries. Sweden and Russia have already been very close to an alliance and don't have any obvious need for tension. There is also less of an obvious case for a Russia-Ottoman rivalry as Ottoman possessions in Ukraine and the Caucasus fall away. And there are plenty of scenarios where the Austria-Prussia rivalry could be ignored or mended due to a third party.

There could, for a purely hypothetical example, be a realignment where Austrian interests in Italy and Prussian colonial interests prompted an alliance against France. If reigning in an expanding France was the next big thing, a Britain-Austria-Prussia vs France-Russia alignment seems just as likely.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #260 on: July 12, 2018, 04:22:58 PM »

Will send my military orders tomorrow morning (I'm currently having to write a covering letter for a job I really want to get so have to give that priority tonight)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #261 on: July 12, 2018, 06:13:52 PM »

I'll stand by my opinion that if the state/government is not collapsing, a minority of an heir shouldn't mean game over for a player. There are always plausible scenarios for regency.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #262 on: July 12, 2018, 06:14:44 PM »

Will send my military orders tomorrow morning (I'm currently having to write a covering letter for a job I really want to get so have to give that priority tonight)

Oh, like this is more important than our game Roll Eyes

Seriously though, best of luck with this Smiley
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #263 on: July 12, 2018, 08:10:18 PM »

Will send orders tonight, as well as reply to some outstanding PM's.
ASPN
Dr_Novella

« Reply #264 on: July 12, 2018, 08:20:58 PM »

I'll have my turn sent tomorrow afternoon at the latest.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #265 on: July 13, 2018, 10:54:16 AM »

Nothing futher from me, unless in response to something developing.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #266 on: July 13, 2018, 11:09:25 AM »

Will send orders tonight, as well as wait on some outstanding PM's.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #267 on: July 13, 2018, 03:17:48 PM »

Does the turn end this evening?
Dereich
YaBB God

« Reply #268 on: July 13, 2018, 03:20:38 PM »

If the turn does end this evening, I'd ask you to push it to tomorrow morning.
YPestis25

Political Matrix
E: -4.65, S: -6.09

« Reply #269 on: July 13, 2018, 03:27:24 PM »

Actions sent! I swear by the end of Encore, half my court and my whole bureaucracy is gonna be stuck in Iceland trying to lead the recovery of that island.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #270 on: July 13, 2018, 03:30:09 PM »

Orders sent, looking forward to the update.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #271 on: July 13, 2018, 03:41:40 PM »

Severe device availability difficulties and resulting feuds with siblings.
I ask for a delay till midday tomorrow, please.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #272 on: July 13, 2018, 04:14:13 PM »

If anyone needs one more day, personally I see no objection. (my orders will be sent soon)
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #273 on: July 13, 2018, 04:58:01 PM »

I'd also be happy with an extension (the combination of doing job work and watching Wimbledon has slowed my plans down tonight)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #274 on: July 13, 2018, 05:26:53 PM »

Severe device availability difficulties and resulting feuds with siblings.
I ask for a delay till midday tomorrow, please.

Execute them as a strong ruler is suppoused to do.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 23  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies