cinyc for Lincoln Senator
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 12:19:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  cinyc for Lincoln Senator
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: cinyc for Lincoln Senator  (Read 2067 times)
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2017, 01:44:04 AM »

The rules of Lincoln are based on the federal rules if I recall correctly.

That was true under the last Northeastern constitution and its constituent electoral act, but I don’t think there’s anything in the new constitution specifying federal rules apply to anything but voter eligibility. Am I missing something?

It also doesn’t appear that the First or any subsequent Assemblies passed any election or tie-breaker laws.
Oh?
There isn't a line in the Lincoln constitution saying "All eligible to the fed election can vote in Lincoln elections." ?

There sort of is. Article V, Section I says “The right to vote in all elections and referendums called according to the provisions of this Constitution shall be exclusive to those persons being eligible to vote in elections for President of the Republic of Atlasia who have been registered to vote in one of the states of this Region for a period of at least seven (7) days prior to the commencement of the election.”

It doesn’t say that the federal tie-breaking or electoral rules apply, though. For example, Section 8 specifies that “All elections shall be by single transferable vote, unless otherwise specified by law.” - which might currently be the federal standard, but needn’t be in the future. The old Northeast electoral law or constitution (I forget which) used to specify STV as defined by the federal electoral act. The new constitution doesn’t.

I think we expected the First Lincoln Assembly to vote on the nuts and bolts of electoral rules when we framed the Lincoln constitution. They didn’t.
Wait,
So there is no rules in Lincoln Huh
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2017, 01:45:21 AM »

That was true under the last Northeastern constitution and its constituent electoral act, but I don’t think there’s anything in the new constitution specifying federal rules apply to anything but voter eligibility. Am I missing something?

It also doesn’t appear that the First or any subsequent Assemblies passed any election or tie-breaker laws.
Oh?
There isn't a line in the Lincoln constitution saying "All eligible to the fed election can vote in Lincoln elections." ?

There sort of is. Article V, Section I says “The right to vote in all elections and referendums called according to the provisions of this Constitution shall be exclusive to those persons being eligible to vote in elections for President of the Republic of Atlasia who have been registered to vote in one of the states of this Region for a period of at least seven (7) days prior to the commencement of the election.”

It doesn’t say that the federal tie-breaking or electoral rules apply, though. For example, Section 8 specifies that “All elections shall be by single transferable vote, unless otherwise specified by law.” - which might currently be the federal standard, but needn’t be in the future. The old Northeast electoral law or constitution (I forget which) used to specify STV as defined by the federal electoral act. The new constitution doesn’t.

I think we expected the First Lincoln Assembly to vote on the nuts and bolts of electoral rules when we framed the Lincoln constitution. They didn’t.
Wait,
yes
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2017, 01:47:59 AM »

Oh?

Wait,

Only what’s specified in the constitution - Senate elections at regular intervals in the months defined by the Atlasian Constitution, Gubernatorial and Assembly elections on specified dates, STV for all elections, federal eligibility plus 7 days in the region (which is redundant, since the feds also require that, IIRC), and “Voters shall be permitted to edit their ballots until 20 minutes after posting them in the voting booth. No voter shall edit their ballot after the official end of the voting period.”

There is nothing fleshing these rules out, including a tiebreaker rule.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2017, 02:10:40 AM »

Alright, I suppose it will end up in a court case
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2017, 02:17:24 AM »

Oh?

Wait,

Lincoln says, "Screw the rules!" lol
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2017, 05:37:10 AM »

Wow so no rules at all, good luck for whoever has to certify the results hahahaha
Pheurton Skeurto
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2017, 09:26:49 AM »

fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2017, 09:30:04 AM »

Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2017, 10:57:12 AM »

Please allow me to congratulate you, cinyc (even if the winner hasn't yet been determined), that was one hell of an impressive campaign and result.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2017, 11:28:23 AM »

Please allow me to congratulate you, cinyc (even if the winner hasn't yet been determined), that was one hell of an impressive campaign and result.

Thank you! Congratulations on your impressive campaign, too! It’s very rare for an Independent to come in second place in a national campaign.
Keep cool-idge
Benjamin Harrison he is w
United States

« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2017, 05:53:16 PM »

Congratulations it’s a tie Senator R2 D2’s vote is disqualified.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2017, 06:17:07 PM »

Congratulations it’s a tie Senator R2 D2’s vote is disqualified.

A tie is nothing to be excited about, given that there is no tie-breaking rule. It is probably the worst-case scenario - an election with no clear winner. Lincoln can’t afford more uncertainty.

I will not make any further comment, pending any legal action.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2017, 09:52:18 PM »

Statement on pending litigation-

I don't blame Senator R2D2 for bringing a lawsuit to have his late second vote counted. That is his right, and I probably would have sued to invalidate Senator R2D2's vote had it been counted by the Lt. Governor.

I assume that I will not be sued directly, as the invalidation decision was not mine. Nevertheless, I expect to file an amicus brief on Lincoln's behalf should the court decide to take this case and allow me to do so.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2017, 02:19:58 AM »

Isn't it fitting that it comes down to disputed ballots in Philadelphia. Tongue

Clearly you didn't visit Luzerne and Erie counties enough. Tongue
SamTilden2020

« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2017, 07:02:13 AM »

An idea to break the tie:

A special election between Cinyc and R2D2

Idea from:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Senate_elections_in_New_Hampshire,_1974_and_1975
Pheurton Skeurto
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2017, 09:03:47 AM »

The original election was between the two of us and it ended in a tie. We can’t keep having elections that end in ties until someone forgets to vote.
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2017, 10:53:26 AM »

The original election was between the two of us and it ended in a tie. We can’t keep having elections that end in ties until someone forgets to vote.

Not everyone turned out to vote, I just moved into the region, etc. It's possible that a re-vote would have a different result.
Pheurton Skeurto
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2017, 12:39:32 PM »

Not everyone turned out to vote, I just moved into the region, etc. It's possible that a re-vote would have a different result.

Ah yes, you moving to the region is a great incentive for me to agree to this idea. Especially because you’ve called me a radical leftist. That makes me hope your vote makes the difference in my reelection prospects.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2017, 12:52:15 PM »

If in fact this election ends in a tie, perhaps both cinyc and R2D2 could each serve half the term.

They could decide between themselves who serves for the first half and who serves for the second half.

Fmr. Representative Encke
Encke
United States

« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2017, 01:01:47 PM »

Ah yes, you moving to the region is a great incentive for me to agree to this idea. Especially because you’ve called me a radical leftist. That makes me hope your vote makes the difference in my reelection prospects.

Windjammer also moved.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2017, 01:49:34 PM »

So, it seems to me that — unless the court sides with R2D2 in the impending lawsuit — there will be no elected Class I senator for Lincoln on November 3. In that event, the Constitution states that the governor must call a special election, and may in the meantime appoint a temporary replacement; so in that sense, the constitutional response to a tied election (if the tie is upheld) would indeed be to hold a second vote.
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2017, 02:29:06 PM »

If you changed your avatar from S to D or I, I could be convinced to vote for you.
Pheurton Skeurto
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2017, 03:30:03 PM »

If you changed your avatar from S to D or I, I could be convinced to vote for you.

Are you...kidding?

My avatar has been purely an aesthetic thing for years now. I've had R avatars, D avatars, L avatars, it usually just matches whatever band is in my sig and what state that band is from. It rarely ever reflects my personal views.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2017, 03:53:00 PM »
« Edited: October 25, 2017, 04:01:28 PM by cinyc »

So, it seems to me that — unless the court sides with R2D2 in the impending lawsuit — there will be no elected Class I senator for Lincoln on November 3. In that event, the Constitution states that the governor must call a special election, and may in the meantime appoint a temporary replacement; so in that sense, the constitutional response to a tied election (if the tie is upheld) would indeed be to hold a second vote.

That’s my reading of the Lincoln constitution, too. Unless Senator R2D2 and I agree to something else.

It wouldn’t necessarily be a rematch, as others could run in the special election.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2017, 04:30:27 PM »

FWIW UK electoral law calls for a coin toss in the event of a tie; which actually lead to a council changing hands back in 2016 IIRC
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies