New Charlottesville 'white civil rights rally' in DC (Unite the Right 2)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 10:44:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  New Charlottesville 'white civil rights rally' in DC (Unite the Right 2)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11
Author Topic: New Charlottesville 'white civil rights rally' in DC (Unite the Right 2)  (Read 15278 times)
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: August 11, 2018, 07:22:53 PM »

Here's to hoping both the Nazis and the people out there counter protesting can get their act together and not escalate things. 

The counterprotestors are there specifically to escalate things.

This cannot be overemphasized.

And the Nazis are going to arguably the most Democratic city in the country aren't there to escalate things?

I know that leftists want to abolish place and history, but even you should know that ceremonies held in Washington, D.C. take on a significance beside that of being held in a city.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #151 on: August 11, 2018, 11:22:16 PM »

Here's to hoping both the Nazis and the people out there counter protesting can get their act together and not escalate things.  

Yes it can, and has been. Badly.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #152 on: August 12, 2018, 12:54:37 AM »

And the Nazis are going to arguably the most Democratic city in the country aren't there to escalate things?

I know that leftists want to abolish place and history, but even you should know that ceremonies held in Washington, D.C. take on a significance beside that of being held in a city.

I see my point went straight over your head.

They're not there for some sort of "significance". They're there to cause trouble. Nothing more.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #153 on: August 12, 2018, 01:09:57 AM »

They're not there for some sort of "significance". They're there to cause trouble. Nothing more.

Your point was literally "no, you!". Don't worry about your points going over my head.
Karpatsky
Ukraine

« Reply #154 on: August 12, 2018, 02:13:10 AM »

That's why they have also been going to the symbolically significant cities of Charlottesville and Berkeley, right? The history suggests they want trouble.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #155 on: August 12, 2018, 02:35:50 AM »

Are you really that daft? Do you know anything about Confederate monuments?

Yes, the counterprotestors are the problem. Not the people screaming 'race war now' or 'gas the k*kes' or the ones openly carrying guns or the ones who actually killed a person last year
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #156 on: August 12, 2018, 12:43:21 PM »

That's why they have also been going to the symbolically significant cities of Charlottesville and Berkeley, right? The history suggests they want trouble.

Charlottesville was ostensibly chosen for attempting to tear down a Confederate monument. It's also the home of the University of Virginia, founded by Thomas Jefferson, known proponent of free speech. Similarly, the University of California at Berkeley is closely associated with the modern free speech movement. I would say that it's unfortunate to see leftists turn their back on that tradition, but I know that it's never really been about freedom to those people.

What do you expect me to say? Do I know that most Confederate monuments were actually built in the 1910s and 1920s? Yes, I do. What's the rest of your point?
American_Aristocracy
Rookie

« Reply #157 on: August 12, 2018, 12:51:37 PM »

These people actually want attention. These rallies are a publicity stunt.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #158 on: August 12, 2018, 01:32:27 PM »

What do you expect me to say? Do I know that most Confederate monuments were actually built in the 1910s and 1920s? Yes, I do. What's the rest of your point?

As you have indicated, the vast majority of Confederate monuments were erected in the 1910's & 20's when Southern states were enacting Jim Crow laws.
There was also a significant, yet smaller spike in the 1950's & 60's during the Civil Rights movement.

See this graphic on this website (link below), showing the numbers and distribution of monuments over time. The article also points out that:
The chart illustrates upticks in the construction of Confederate monuments on courthouse grounds after the landmark Plessy v. Ferguson case in 1896 upheld state segregation laws. The construction of monuments outside of schools jumped after the 1954 Brown vs. Board of Education ruling, in which the Supreme Court deemed state laws segregating public schools to be unconstitutional.

So you can drop your "leftists want to abolish place and history" shtick.
All the evidence above shows that Southerners weren't really concerned about "history" when erecting these monuments. But instead, it was about using them as symbols of hate and intimidation.

http://theweek.com/speedreads/718507/striking-graphic-reveals-construction-confederate-monuments-peaked-during-jim-crow-civil-rights-eras
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #159 on: August 12, 2018, 01:50:32 PM »

As you have indicated, the vast majority of Confederate monuments were erected in the 1910's & 20's when Southern states were enacting Jim Crow laws.
There was also a significant, yet smaller spike in the 1950's & 60's during the Civil Rights movement.

See this graphic on this website (link below), showing the numbers and distribution of monuments over time. The article also points out that:
The chart illustrates upticks in the construction of Confederate monuments on courthouse grounds after the landmark Plessy v. Ferguson case in 1896 upheld state segregation laws. The construction of monuments outside of schools jumped after the 1954 Brown vs. Board of Education ruling, in which the Supreme Court deemed state laws segregating public schools to be unconstitutional.

All the evidence above shows that Southerners weren't really concerned about "history" when erecting these monuments. But instead, it was about using them as symbols of hate and intimidation.

http://theweek.com/speedreads/718507/striking-graphic-reveals-construction-confederate-monuments-peaked-during-jim-crow-civil-rights-eras

Southern states started enacting Jim Crow laws in the late 19th century, though. Plus, as your graph indicates, the largest spike in public Confederate commemoration was already on the decline when the Klan was reformed in the 1910s. If anything, the strongest correlation is with the aging of Civil War veterans and the passage of the Civil War from people's living memory. Which makes perfect sense.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #160 on: August 12, 2018, 01:56:00 PM »

Southern states started enacting Jim Crow laws in the late 19th century, though. Plus, as your graph indicates, the largest spike in public Confederate commemoration was already on the decline when the Klan was reformed in the 1910s. If anything, the strongest correlation is with the aging of Civil War veterans and the passage of the Civil War from people's living memory. Which makes perfect sense.

It "makes perfect sense" to Neo-Nazis, Klansmen and white supremacists.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #161 on: August 12, 2018, 02:09:50 PM »

It makes sense to the people whose forefathers bore the brunt of the most destructive war in the history of the United States.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #162 on: August 12, 2018, 02:12:59 PM »

It makes sense to the people whose forefathers bore the brunt of the most destructive war in the history of the United States.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #163 on: August 12, 2018, 02:14:32 PM »

Debating & quote boxes aside, there's a severe lack of comments on the event itself.

I'm guessing it wasn't as much of a 'rally' as last years?
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #164 on: August 12, 2018, 02:28:41 PM »

Debating & quote boxes aside, there's a severe lack of comments on the event itself.
I'm guessing it wasn't as much of a 'rally' as last years?

The rally doesn't start until 5 pm Eastern time.
And I think it runs until either 7 or 8 pm.
So it has not started yet.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #165 on: August 12, 2018, 03:21:12 PM »

It makes sense to the people whose forefathers' main purpose of fighting was to preserve the act of enslaving other human beings (for money). The fact that they (the South) "bore the brunt" of the American Civil War (versus the North) was both justified and a grace to all humanity.

The vast majority of monuments are depicting their leaders, and not the sheep the leaders employed (and fooled) to fight for them. Their leaders were intelligent (and rich) and knew exactly what their true cause was (and not "State's rights" bulls**t).
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #166 on: August 12, 2018, 03:33:28 PM »

Not to go all Limo Liberal on the weather here, but there is a massive storm coming in over DC right now. Hehehe.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/district-of-columbia/weather-radar?play=1
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #167 on: August 12, 2018, 03:53:11 PM »

It makes sense to the people whose forefathers' main purpose of fighting was to preserve the act of enslaving other human beings (for money). The fact that they (the South) "bore the brunt" of the American Civil War (versus the North) was both justified and a grace to all humanity.

The vast majority of monuments are depicting their leaders, and not the sheep the leaders employed (and fooled) to fight for them. Their leaders were intelligent (and rich) and knew exactly what their true cause was (and not "State's rights" bulls**t).

Muhhh the South is nothing but evil scum, HP!

Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #168 on: August 12, 2018, 04:02:49 PM »

^ Nice Facebook meme, but an older quote than both of those is "Actions speak louder than words."
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #169 on: August 12, 2018, 04:11:42 PM »

From what I've seen thus far, this is a perfect example of how these types of situations should occur. It's one thing to scream back and forth at one another (I've been participating in events like that since I sign-waved for McCain ten years ago), it's a whole another thing to start punching people just because you don't like their politics. Hopefully this will hold and we won't see another Charlottesville.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #170 on: August 12, 2018, 04:24:25 PM »
« Edited: August 12, 2018, 04:28:44 PM by ProudModerate2 »

If anyone is interested, I found a couple of links that are showing the demonstrations LIVE :

https://abc7chicago.com/politics/watch-live-white-nationalists-gather-in-dc-for-unite-the-right-rally-face-anti-racist-protesters/3940624/

https://wtop.com/dc/2018/08/watch-white-nationalists-rally-in-dc-marking-charlottesville-anniversary/

Here is another one, scroll all the way to the bottom of the article for the feed:

https://www.newsweek.com/unite-right-2-protest-counter-protest-live-stream-updates-washington-dc-1069968
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #171 on: August 12, 2018, 04:28:12 PM »

Yes, the counterprotestors are the problem. Not the people screaming 'race war now' or 'gas the k*kes' or the ones openly carrying guns or the ones who actually killed a person last year

Just imagine how peaceful the 1930s and 1940s could have been without all those problem people getting in the way of Imperial Japanese bullets, or declaring war on poor, innocent Germany? It's such a peaceful world the Republicans want. One where everyone but themselves is dead or a silent slave.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #172 on: August 12, 2018, 04:31:06 PM »
« Edited: August 12, 2018, 04:39:41 PM by Ghost of Ruin »

It makes sense to the people whose forefathers bore the bruntstarted and relentlessly pursued of the most destructive war in the history of the United States in order to defend slavery.

Fixed it for you.

You're welcome.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #173 on: August 12, 2018, 04:32:50 PM »

Confederate monuments and flags should be removed and put in historical museums. Period.

The Republican Party needs to stop coddling Confederates and say this loudly.

This is why I don't think Nikki Haley could have a path to a future GOP nomination with the party so Southern-centric.
geekknight
Rookie
Netherlands

« Reply #174 on: August 12, 2018, 04:39:36 PM »

Muhhh the South is nothing but evil scum, HP!

(img link not allowed yet)

Even though Lee actually was opposed to slavery due to it being a "greater evil to the white man".
From his Wikipedia page (not allowed to post links yet):

You must be logged in to read this quote.

And on Abraham Lincoln's views on race, they were as backwards as most at the time, also from wikipedia:

Also Frederick Douglass:

So the actions do correspond with the words here.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies