Ex. Sen. Stevens (R-AK) killed in plane crash (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 09:52:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Ex. Sen. Stevens (R-AK) killed in plane crash (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ex. Sen. Stevens (R-AK) killed in plane crash  (Read 12075 times)
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: August 10, 2010, 02:39:09 PM »

RIP to a great man and American hero, who was often misunderstood and persecuted because of it.

I think a good rule of thumb on whether you're crossing a line would be that if you are comfortable with someone of the opposite party saying exactly the same thing you said but with reference to Sen. Kennedy, you are on solid ground.

RIP Sen. Stevens. I disagreed with him as a politician, but I regret his death and am sorry for his family to suffer his loss in this way.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 04:42:38 PM »

The only difference between the two men is that Ted was elevated to sainthood by the liberals.

A difference between Kennedy and Stevens is that Kennedy was a tremendous influence in the Senate who produced many pieces of signature legislation from the 1960s to the 2000s. Many people disagree with that influence or think it was bad for the country, but for better or for worse, he was a major factor in what our government has become. Some people also think Chappaquiddick was more important than all of that, and that's a debate for another day.

Stevens, by comparison, didn't have many comparable legislative accomplishments. The best comparison for his accomplishments, to be generous, would be Sen. Byrd. Longevity and intense devotion to financial support of his home state.

Edit: px said it much more succintly (and less senatorially!) than I did.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies